Author Topic: The great turtle migration to Moab - 2017  (Read 34608 times)

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
The great turtle migration to Moab - 2017
« on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:26:57 AM »

Alright boys, about time I made a thread for this trip. As most of you know I decided to push my Colorado trip back a year. In doing so I decided to instead do two epic trips to two of my favorite places in the world. The first of which is Moab  :shades: The trip will commence with us arriving on May 7th in Moab to setup camp and leaving to head back home on the 13th. I have sent out invites to a couple great turtles and this is shaping up to be a great trip. In this thread I will like always lay out the details of our schedule, trail itinerary, and other pertinent information. I will highlight each trail with its length, difficulty level, and loads of pictures and video to get you guys psyched for the trip. Here is the itinerary to get us started off:

May 6th:    Arrive in Moab and setup base camp at AREA BFE
May 7th:    Trail 1 - Hells Revenge + Potato Salad Hill
May 8th:    Trail 2 - Rusty Nail + Golden Spike + Gold Bar Rim
May 9th:    Trail 3 - Metal Masher
May 10th:   Trail 4 - Elephant Hill
May 11th:   Trail 5 - Kane Creek Canyon
May 12th:   Trail 6 - Behind the Rocks
May 13th:   Depart Moab

Here is the roster so far:

SqWADoosh - Andrew
:)bestgen4runner - Chris
liveoak - Chris
ovrarok - Dave
crankycrawler - Rob
mudmaster - Mark
blackdiamond - Jon
non forum member driving built FJ80
non forum member driving built TJ
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2017, 12:59:57 PM by SqWADoosh »

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3672
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: The great trutle migration to Moab - 2017
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:33:29 AM »
This is starting to make me think I should go to Moab and not Cali................
Time to go wheelin!

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »
This is starting to make me think I should go to Moab and not Cali................

Roster updated.  :slap:

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2017, 03:27:57 PM »
Bonus Trail: May 7th: The Pickle + 3d
Get there Early You lazy bums, This is One of My favorite Trails in Moab.
Don't Miss out!

« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017, 03:52:51 PM by :)bestgen4runner »
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2017, 04:26:05 PM »
May 11th:   Trail 4 - Metal Masher
May 12th:   Trail 5 - Behind the Rocks

I would strongly suggest not running Behind the Rocks on the last day. It is by far your most risky trail and it's very remote on the far end making it a very long trip out, especially with a limping rig. Going back down Pritchett isn't a good option so you're pretty committed once you do the first couple obstacles. I always do it on the second to last day to maximize the wheeling prior and leaving a day for recovery.

Metal Masher is a shorter day going getting you back to camp earlier and Widow Maker Hill is the only big risk that I would anticipate Andrew (Rob if he goes)  being the only rig with a non-winch chance in hell of making.  It's a long wheelbase and steep departure angle required crazy tall wall that'll scare you backing down. The primary thing that could go against Andrew is his width.   Being narrow like Rob has, in the past, made it possible to skirt past the most abrupt part of the second ledge that is what stops almost everyone.  Links will benefit on this one.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2017, 04:27:19 PM »
Elephant Hill is a great final day if you're willing to have a long final day.  Chances of breaking are minimal.

We also learned on the last trip that a permit is required and the group size is limited to four, I think, and then a delay between groups is mandated. We didn't have an issue but you should reserve ahead to make sure.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2017, 04:33:32 PM by blackdiamond »
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2017, 04:33:41 PM »
Getting there the last day of Cruise Moab?
http://www.cruisemoab.com/

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26866
  • Male Posts: 3,505
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2017, 05:47:41 PM »

Some good info on what's needed for trsils
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2017, 09:16:19 PM »
Really cool Video....
All from a Drone.....

SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26866
  • Male Posts: 3,505
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2017, 06:37:27 AM »
May 11th:   Trail 4 - Metal Masher
May 12th:   Trail 5 - Behind the Rocks

I would strongly suggest not running Behind the Rocks on the last day. It is by far your most risky trail and it's very remote on the far end making it a very long trip out, especially with a limping rig. Going back down Pritchett isn't a good option so you're pretty committed once you do the first couple obstacles. I always do it on the second to last day to maximize the wheeling prior and leaving a day for recovery.

I'll take this into consideration. The thought is to do our most difficult trail on the last day. I would hate to have someone break on it and then miss out on other trails.

Metal Masher is a shorter day going getting you back to camp earlier and Widow Maker Hill is the only big risk that I would anticipate Andrew (Rob if he goes)  being the only rig with a non-winch chance in hell of making.  It's a long wheelbase and steep departure angle required crazy tall wall that'll scare you backing down. The primary thing that could go against Andrew is his width.   Being narrow like Rob has, in the past, made it possible to skirt past the most abrupt part of the second ledge that is what stops almost everyone.  Links will benefit on this one.

This is a trail that Chris is hard up on. I could really go either way on it. There are trails I'd rather do to be honest but he is set on doing this trail. If we do it I'll give widow maker a shot.  :yumyum:

Elephant Hill is a great final day if you're willing to have a long final day.  Chances of breaking are minimal.

We also learned on the last trip that a permit is required and the group size is limited to four, I think, and then a delay between groups is mandated. We didn't have an issue but you should reserve ahead to make sure.

We will be doing Elephant hill in the middle of the week for two reasons. The first is that liveoak would like to do an easier trail in the lineup in order to stay longer. The second is that I would like to break up the gnarly crawling with an easier scenic day. I'll look into this permit business.

Correct.

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20170507T00&p0=4781&msg=Moab+2017&font=serif

Love it, dude!

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: The great turtle migration to Moab - 2017
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »
"This is a trail that Chris is hard up on. I could really go either way on it. There are trails I'd rather do to be honest but he is set on doing this trail. If we do it I'll give widow maker a shot.  :yumyum:" SqWaDoosh

Its the only trail on the list that I have not seen already.
I am open to other ideas, just wanted to mix in something new for this trip.
I know there are lots of trails that I have not done.
Suggestions?

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:38:36 AM »
"This is a trail that Chris is hard up on. I could really go either way on it. There are trails I'd rather do to be honest but he is set on doing this trail. If we do it I'll give widow maker a shot.  :yumyum:" SqWaDoosh

Suggestions?

Metal Masher is a great trail. In the past it was regularly on my list but once Widow Maker became too big for me it became less interesting having done it multiple times. It isn't a top scenery trail but you'll all love running it. It may be on the list for my next trip.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:48:57 AM »

Suggestions?

I'm fine with running it. Like you said we haven't run it before.  :thumbs:

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
Widow maker now and then. Amazing..... :yesnod:
The Tacoma is for You Andrew, Oh and the Bet is off, I think You can make it, Ha ha  :yupyup:
I added the 4Runner to show there is no way I can make it.  :sad2:

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
The Tacoma is for You Andrew, Oh and the Bet is off, I think You can make it, Ha ha  :yupyup:

We will see. I am not that long of a wheelbase. My Taco's wheelbase has been shortened to 113". Will be 115" after link job. Still might not be enough.  :crossed: Besides you were trying to make a bet on White Knuckle. I'm not trying to bet on any of it. If I make it up that is enough victory for me.  :slap:

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:51:10 AM »
We will see. I am not that long of a wheelbase. My Taco's wheelbase has been shortened to 113". Will be 115" after link job. Still might not be enough.  :crossed: Besides you were trying to make a bet on White Knuckle. I'm not trying to bet on any of it. If I make it up that is enough victory for me.  :slap:

I think having too long of a wheelbase on Widow Makers can also be a killer because it leaves the rear tires so low on the wall when the front tires his the second ledge that generally stop the climb. The wall takes you to the right where the second ledge is bigger. Rob and I were narrow enough in our trucks to stay way left and sneak past the largest part of the second ledge. It looks like the very bottom would make staying left almost impossible. This is a beast and in scale more impressive than White Knuckle by far.

liveoak

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2017, 10:58:01 AM »
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2019, 06:57:13 AM by liveoak »

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:05:26 AM »
This is a beast and in scale more impressive than White Knuckle by far.
:yikes: Now that Sir, Is saying something.  :help:

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:31:52 AM »
My wife says widow maker sounds like an obstacle I should definitely attempt. I have a feeling my life insurance payout is about to mysteriously increase.

Bob that 4Runner or you'll likely be lifting pulling your rear tires off the ground before they can even reach the wall.  I could have forced my 4Runner to the wall but it would have made winching out a necessity and it's simply not possible to climb it from a dead stop on the wall.  Smooth momentum, a perfect line, and some luck was required then and now it's taller and no longer has the smooth bottom that gave you a fighting chance.  I didn't even see it on the Safari trip the past few years.

:yikes: Now that Sir, Is saying something.  :help:

The trail is worth doing just to go see it.  It's steep like the exit to Mickey's Hot Tub (i.e. oil light will come on) while being taller plus the second ledge.  Other than the bottom it's smooth and fairly square, unlike the hot tub exit, so if it's possible to hit a good line and not upset the rear axle it should be doable with just the right amount of momentum in a truck of the right proportions.  Tire compound could make a big difference as it's so steep that axle wrap was never a factor, you're basically climbing straight up a ledge that's more than roof high.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:50:46 AM »
I'll take this into consideration. The thought is to do our most difficult trail on the last day. I would hate to have someone break on it and then miss out on other trails.

If you can risk going home a day late then running it on the last day could still be a good option.  I've had two type of experiences with Pritchett Canyon:

(1) We did one trip with four trucks.  Rob and I did great, but we had an under built Jeep that ended up breaking a rear axle and the old Bronco started having heating issues which were made worse by having to pull the Jeep.  We started early and got back to town quite late.  The trail itself isn't a long trail, but the exit is many miles of really rough road that's just annoying.

(2) On the best trip through it was just two trucks (me and gotrocks that built my 4Runner) and we had a quick clean run up the canyon and then exited by running Behind the Rocks Backwards.  This is by far the preferred way to do it, but it requires a utopian day and a small group.  Pritchett has something like five major obstacles that could require the majority of any group to winch which takes time.  I know gotrocks did it in his JK at last years safari but he said it was more difficult than the last time I was there.  If you were able to  clear Pritchett around lunch you might have this Plan B ready to go.  Winch or climb White Knuckle and the rest is cake with easy roads out, bypasses, or challenges of your choosing.

SqWADoosh [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2017, 11:53:14 AM »
We are not running Pritchett. Only BTR.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2017, 12:37:36 PM »
We are not running Pritchett. Only BTR.

I completely read your list wrong...I even went back to my quote of your list to see if you had updated it.

Behind the Rocks is an ok last day. Lots of easy exit routes once your are up White Knuckle and almost everything else has a bypass that's really difficult.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2017, 02:07:35 PM »
If I was planning to climb Widow Maker Hill I might consider that the king obstacle on your trip and save it for the last day, but the exit of Behind the Rocks is close to BFE making for a quick trip back to camp.  Call it a coin flip.

Your 40s and wheelbase might give you an honest chance on White Knuckle. The passenger side of the wall was so vertical that we couldn't get any bite in the rear, it was almost undercut.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2017, 02:14:39 PM »
God dam that thing is Sexy looking!  Its so shiny!

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2017, 03:11:03 PM »
As an FYI, 4.70:1 first gear was what I used (my lowest at the time)  on Widow Maker Hill when I made it and also what Rob was in after trying the lower options unsuccessfully. You have to use a little momentum and then hope it carries you past the second ledge.  Low low 2nd might be ok with your 40s since I was rolling my 33 at the time.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »
I don't think I would have the ball the go for white knuckle with any significant momentum. The potential to fall off to the right would be more than I could deal with.  :shudder:
Now...... if I had a cage that would be a different story.
Look what I found, GO ROB!
You got this Andrew!
Please note this was 2011 its not the same today.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2017, 04:15:16 PM »
I don't think I would have the ball the go for white knuckle with any significant momentum. The potential to fall off to the right would be more than I could deal with.  :shudder:
Now...... if I had a cage that would be a different story.
Look what I found, GO ROB!
You got this Andrew!
Please note this was 2011 its not the same today.

Having a cage wouldn't change my approach or level of aggression in any way.  I did come close to rolling once in the 4Runner once. You have to turn passenger just a bit which creates the potential for the rear axle to not be square and my passenger rear tire let go first.

Andrew's 40s just might be big enough to handle the face. Only one way to know. The long wheelbase trucks can make it look pretty easy if things align. It was more of a struggle in the 4Runner for sure.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2017, 06:11:24 AM »

The first video would be Double Whammy.  Dump Bump was at the start of Hell's Revenge, but is now closed.

The second video is Guardian Hill.

The third video is the Pickle Slicer.

:driving: