Author Topic: More W-56 Issues, rebuild or get rebuilt  (Read 30146 times)

jbramble24

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Nov '16
    • View Profile
Re: More W-56 Issues, rebuild or get rebuilt
« Reply #150 on: Apr 30, 2017, 06:11:15 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I am not positive but it seems like it could be the front end but it feels like a high speed vibration like the rear driveshaft.

I have jacked up the front end and could not detect any movement in the ball joints or wheels. I had an alignment done and asked them to also make sure the ball joints were good. The bearings new koyo.

The steering wheel does not vibrate at any speed. I do have an OME stabilizer.

I did have a warped rotor that you could feel in the pedal. I have new brembo rotors on now. I did not replace the pads at the same time. Perhaps I should but they didn't appear to worn unevenly.

I have slipped into neutral at 65 and the rpm dropped to ~1k and the vibration was the same until the speed dropped. It is also the same in any gear, 4th or 5th at 60 vibrate the same.

It does feel like it gets slightly worse for a second when I back off the throttle. It sure does seem like the rear driveshaft but it is brand new.

I don't think it makes any difference with turning the wheel slightly.  I can drive down any road with curves at 65 and notice no change except with speed.

I'm going to go put the front driveshaft back in and take the rear out and see what the difference is. The only things that have not been gone through are the transfer case, front driveshaft, front differential, front axle shaft, front suspension. I do have new Bilstein shocks all the way around. I can't see any noticeable movement in the control arm bushings.

Thanks again for the help!

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,225
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #151 on: Apr 30, 2017, 06:33:27 AM »
Geezzz.. it sounds like have analyzed the crap out things!  After all that I would be really frustrated!  I hate vibrations!

So you know when you remove the rear drive shaft, and drive with the front axles engaged, 4-wheel high, you will get some interesting "power steer".  That would be the next step that I would do to see if it eliminates the rear drive shaft.  That may not necessarily eliminate the rear diff, ring & pinion?

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2017, 06:43:36 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #152 on: Apr 30, 2017, 06:46:04 AM »
....It sure does seem like the rear driveshaft but it is brand new.

So, the U-joints are new?  Was it balanced?

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

jbramble24 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: Apr 30, 2017, 07:10:31 AM »
The driveshaft is new and balanced. Tatton's custom driveshafts. He sells them through eBay. I bought one after having my old one balanced and replaced the u-joints twice. I think the shop was balancing it with the slip joint fully compressed. It had been run I don't know how many miles with it out of phase. Wasn't noticeable until I replaced the u-joints but it wore out the slip joint where it rides, not fully compressed.

So I think I still have the vibration when in 4 hi without the rear shaft. It's hard to tell since I doubt the front shaft is very well balanced. It gets loud around 60.

The rear diff is a new marlin one. Had a bad pinion bearing in the original. Seriously, I've gone through almost this whole truck.

I guess I'll just run it until something breaks!

jbramble24 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2017, 05:34:02 PM »
Just over 200 miles on the transmisssion and the fluid looks new. I think I finally got it this time. I should have just replaced the slider when I said I was going to about 50 posts back but I have to learn the hard way. Thank you all again for all of the advice!

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2017, 06:32:26 PM »
Just over 200 miles on the transmisssion and the fluid looks new. I think I finally got it this time. I should have just replaced the slider when I said I was going to about 50 posts back but I have to learn the hard way. Thank you all again for all of the advice!

jbramble24,

Geezzz, I hope you really gotter figured out this time!  :thumbs:

I certainly admire your hairy gonads, tenacity for sticking with it, your mechanical skills, and guts enough to face your own learning curve while posting in this forum!  :beerchug:

"Being thrown into the fire and getting the thing turned around in a hurry made it more difficult. Things have been done the hard way. I think you learn better when things are done the hard way."

~   John Elway

Gnarls. :greengrin:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:38:08 PM by Gnarly4X »

jbramble24 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '16
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2017, 08:47:36 PM »

jbramble24,

Geezzz, I hope you really gotter figured out this time!  :thumbs:

I certainly admire your hairy gonads, tenacity for sticking with it, your mechanical skills, and guts enough to face your own learning curve while posting in this forum!  :beerchug:

"Being thrown into the fire and getting the thing turned around in a hurry made it more difficult. Things have been done the hard way. I think you learn better when things are done the hard way."

~   John Elway

Gnarls. :greengrin:

Thanks brother! Good times!