Author Topic: What broke, transfer or transmission?  (Read 8882 times)

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
What broke, transfer or transmission?
« on: Jan 09, 2017, 02:49:13 PM »
So the question is, what broke/failed, the transmission or the dual transfer cases?
I'm no transmission service guy, not by a long shot so my gear boxes are at Box and Gears transmission shop in Van Nuys.
They charge $225.00 plus parts for each gear box so I'm in deep because I brought both trans and transfer to them.
What makes a difference though is cleanliness and with my boxes being spotless, I'll get a reduced rate because they don't have to do now what I already did for them.
Before I did the dirty.
I sure hope this doesn't end up costing me an arm, leg and a testicle.

After I did the clean.

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2017, 04:01:17 PM by fasterspider »
fasterspider, now older and slower.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: What broke, trans or transmission?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2017, 03:53:44 PM »
Need more info.........

:dunno:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: What broke, transfer or transmission?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2017, 06:09:57 PM »
If you took it that far I would have probably split the t-cases from the transmission, mounted the shifter, and played around with things to see if the transmission or t-cases seemed to have an obvious hitch in the git-along.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:57:46 AM »
If you took it that far I would have probably split the t-cases from the transmission, mounted the shifter, and played around with things to see if the transmission or t-cases seemed to have an obvious hitch in the git-along.
I did split the t case and trans just to get them out and only had them together for cleaning.
I felt the action in both and feel the T case has binding not felt in the transmission but, I took them both anyway just to get that piece of mind until I can afford a Marlin built transmission if I ever go that route.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:39:36 AM »
Some synchros were worn and the rear shaft seal was shot on the transfer cases but, there is nothing wrong with either the transmission or the transfer cases so I'm paying for inspections only which is a catastrophic draw on my wallet.
What did fail is the brand new rear differential a friend just built for me two weeks ago, she is broken and will not turn, she just klunks back & forth so I'm going for a full refund and then credit towards my next project I let him in on if I am stupid enough to let him ever do work for me.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,794
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:47:30 AM »
Some synchros were worn and the rear shaft seal was shot on the transfer cases but, there is nothing wrong with either the transmission or the transfer cases so I'm paying for inspections only which is a catastrophic draw on my wallet.
What did fail is the brand new rear differential a friend just built for me two weeks ago, she is broken and will not turn, she just klunks back & forth so I'm going for a full refund and then credit towards my next project I let him in on if I am stupid enough to let him ever do work for me.
Please post pictures of this for us.  :therethere:
Also, Hold that Judgement   :_order: on Your friend until you get a full look at the damage. He might have made a mistake or You might have a part failure. Best To wait until You get all the answers first. Defective parts do happen.  :_oops:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »
In short, this stinks all around.  Did you do any "looking" at the differential before assigning the failure to the transmission?

You might be able to move the front differential to the rear if you need it for transportation only.  It's a bit of work for sure, but if it's the difference between walking and driving for a long period of time...
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »
The failure is due to mechanic's error, he didn't do something correct and it all came apart.
He's shown himself to be a good guy in the past so I hope he does the right thing and hooks me up with something better.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2017, 02:37:22 PM »
The failure is due to mechanic's error, he didn't do something correct and it all came apart.
He's shown himself to be a good guy in the past so I hope he does the right thing and hooks me up with something better.

Thank you for showing a picture. I see what happened and you are 100% correct.
Now its his job to step up and make it right.
I would say He has an opportunity to show who He is.
sorry that that happened.
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2017, 04:32:41 PM »

You previously indicated that the work was done by a friend.  I have no idea how business like the deal was but if he was doing for you as a favor for a few bucks some of the risk is yours, in my opinion, for the work.  I would assume that you got a pretty good deal price wise, had it gone well, or else you might have just taken it to a shop.  Stepping up might be either doing the labor again for free (do you really trust them?) or giving you back the money for the labor, but you're probably going to end up eating the cost of parts.  This, in my opinion, is the risk that goes with having friends doing you a favor.

If he's running a home mechanic business then it's an entirely different story...

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »
Dude is a man of honor, that is what matters and he has me covered 100℅.
This is a side business he performs for locals with Yota crawlers and friends of locals like me that just happen to have wannabe crawlers. 
I'll get a fresh 3rd member back next week and be ready for wheeling in some mud by next weekend.
I and my buddy believe a lack of thread locker was the cause of failure but, what ever the case may be, it is going to be almost bullet proof when I get it back.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:05:41 PM »
I went to put things together last week and couldn't help but, notice how bad the condition of the clutch fork boot, it had grown at least three times it's original size and wouldn't fit into the bell housing opening so I ordered a new one and two new spring clips to hold the throw out bearing to the fork because I lost one during disassembly.

The new one got here from Marlin today and now I have to mate the transmission to the engine.

This is the hard part for me being I only have full use of my right hand, left wrist is held together with titanium and hurts like a mofo all the time.
Fast motorcycles tried to kill me so I quit them and switched to 4wd where going slow is what matters but, I'm feeling the wrecks from decades past a whole lot more the older I get and that's why putting the transmission back is a drag.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2017, 11:45:01 AM »
So we are experiencing last year's El Niņo in So Cal this year and therefore have finally come out of a 6 year long devastating drought and that means working on my truck has been slowed down considerably due to said weather but, progress happened big time yesterday.

I just came back inside after filling the rear diff and am painting the driveshaft with a green and orange spiral similar to what you see on a Barber Shop pole.
After lunch I will go install the stick shifters and fire her up if she'll have it today and see if I can get into an ohv park.

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2017, 04:25:55 PM »
I need to bolt in the driveshaft and she's ready for some winter wheeling.
It is peel off paint that I had to use just for poops and giggles.

Looks silly, don't it?
Will look even sillier after dinner when it is on my truck.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:29:50 PM »
Don't give up on motorcycles!  They mean you no harm if you respect them
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:50:04 PM »
I also gave up on the motorcycles, to many close calls.  :outtahere:

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:22:21 AM »
I have not given up on the bikes yet, I am buying a 1979 Honda CB750K Boat Tail model from a customer because she can't ride anymore due to being fatter than Albert and am building a custom CBX for myself with my 0 mile engine and carbs.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:51:31 PM »
I also gave up on the motorcycles, to many close calls.  :outtahere:

What close calls?  I've had tons and have wadded myself up twice and will ride till I can't.  Some things become more difficult, especially as you approach middle age, but the love of 2 wheels is either in you or it isn't. 

Seriously though, I commend those smart enough to walk away when they need to.  I am not that smart
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2017, 08:06:37 PM »
To be 100% honest, The Wife played a part in it.
I will never be able to buy another one without a guaranteed fight.
I even Tried to pull off a Supermoto for a while.
"Its a Dirt bike baby" Yep, Didn't work.
I'm good with it now. Better this way. I have three boys and a Wife to take care of.
I do still have My banshee. She does ask when I am going to sell it every time She sees it. LOL

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2017, 11:25:53 AM »
I've always been way more worried about being seriously hurt on dirt than on the street.  Always get super anxious throwing a leg over a dirt bike, but rarely or never do I get nervous on the street.

You know you'd have more money and free time if you ditched the wife and kids, right?  :gap:
RIP KYOTA

fasterspider [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2017, 07:09:23 PM »
I've always been way more worried about being seriously hurt on dirt than on the street.  Always get super anxious throwing a leg over a dirt bike, but rarely or never do I get nervous on the street.

You know you'd have more money and free time if you ditched the wife and kids, right?  :gap:
What kids?
The wife is the best friend and keeps her kids far away from me because I am no fan of children and I don't like her kids either.
If kids can't be used as free labor anymore, they serve no purpose to me what so ever and being the son of a Brooklyn, New York Irish Catholic, I was born to be used a free labor and broke the chain, moved to California, married an athiest jewish princess and learned how to be a Japanese motorcycle mechanic.
Now I wheel because arthritis sucks and took all the fun out of riding my motorcycles away from me.
I still have a desire to ride and can not stop being a biker just because I 4wd my way to fun now a days, when my CBX is done I will ride it and I'll ride the 750K locally until I sell it for a huge profit.