Author Topic: Passenger Side Snorkel for 3rd Gen Pickup 22-RE  (Read 7229 times)

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Passenger Side Snorkel for 3rd Gen Pickup 22-RE
« on: Jan 04, 2017, 02:17:00 AM »
Factory air box as most know is on the driver's side. I've modified my engine compartment and added a second battery.

Pic should help explain most of this.

I'm hoping someone will know of a snorkel application that mounts on the passenger side pillar and doesn't run the length of the fender... I need the snorkel to pass through about 1/3 of the way down.

I'm currently in the process of modifying a snorkel made for an FJ80, since it's similar to what I need, I'm just shortening the fender run so that it passes through where I've so expertly drawn in the picture above...
If I can't find a good replacement snorkel, I'm going to plastic weld this one, and wrap it with that steel tape stuff they sell at home depot... I'll be able to sand it and paint it, but a no-cut application would be great!

Thanks.
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

fasterspider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 278
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Make your own snorkal with PVC pipe, I've never seen a snorkal come out anywhere else on any Toyota other than running the length of the fender to the A pillar. A custom built unit made out of PVC can be routed anywhere you want to put it.
fasterspider, now older and slower.

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
I've considered it. I don't like the way they look. I've considered going to a muffler shop and getting an aluminized steel pipe bent too.

I like the look of a formed snorkel better, and for $60 on eBay, if rather purchase a snorkel.

I just need to finding a passenger snorkel application that doesn't run the full length of the fender

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1233
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
I dislike the look of snorkels on the "A" pillar, either bought or the sewer pipe version. This is what I did.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
I dislike the look of snorkels on the "A" pillar, either bought or the sewer pipe version. This is what I did.
Yeah I've seen your write-up, you did an awesome job!

If I'm crossing through water deep enough to enter my current air filter, it's only a few inches higher to get water over the hood and into the air intake..

Here's the 3d printed snorkel cap I have

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Run under the truck then up into the bed so it looks like diesel stacks..............

:cheese:

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Run under the truck then up into the bed so it looks like diesel stacks..............

:cheese:

Haha.. nice rain collectors you've got there 😋

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Here's about the closest thing I can find that could possibly work.

Super Long Ebay Link

I just don't like the way the fender line has that bubble on the top..

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Given where the intake is at, you will likely have to section the tube that runs along the fender.

This one from Amazon a buddy just installed on his Runner is close to where you need it, and looks uniform enough that sectioning it should be easy.

Might also look at ones for the Samuri, or other short nosed 4x4's
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

toy_tek

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 25
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Instagram: toy_tek

not on a 22re but this can be applied for anything really...
Above: donaldson 7" topspin we fabbed up for my buddy's truck.
Below: same installation on my truck done in 2009.  Still using this today.

A look under the fender during install
83 Toyota Longbed
97 Toyota 4Runner
89 Toyota Landcruiser FJ62
IG:  toy_tek

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda

not on a 22re but this can be applied for anything really...
Above: donaldson 7" topspin we fabbed up for my buddy's truck.
Below: same installation on my truck done in 2009.  Still using this today.

A look under the fender during install

That's awesome. I've wanted a Donaldson top spin since I started wanting to install a snorkel. Great idea

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Looks like you should be able to extend that higher so you can drive in Houston..............

:idea:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Looks like you should be able to extend that higher so you can drive in Houston..............

ouch....

2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda

Too soon? Still funny