Author Topic: All Toyota - 4 Seat Tube Buggy w/Locktup Fab  (Read 20615 times)

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
Re: All Toyota - 4 Seat Tube Buggy w/Locktup Fab
« Reply #30 on: Nov 07, 2016, 12:28:05 PM »
man i hate threads like this!!!!!

makes the wheels in my head start looking into a new project because i want one too!!! Keep up the good work!

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 07, 2016, 12:38:04 PM »
After recommendations I did a bunch of research and posted some questions on other sites. I also spoke to Rory at RAD designs.. I learned the Toyota Auto is a very good trans.. also learned it's the same trans used behind the Chrysler (Jeep) 4.0 engine (Cherokee XJ, Wrangler etc.) Coupled with the Trans-Go shift kit, and the RAD Designs Winters Shifter the Auto is a viable option for the build... So I decided to take the plunge.. I've never wheeled an Auto but those who have love them..  It is also said the double t-cases are not necessary behind an auto.. just a single 4.7 case... I already had the case built so I'm using doubles..

P.S. - with the simple swap of an AW4 tail housing (the jeep version of the trans) you can bolt up an Atlas Case..

Autos definitely are easier to wheel than a manual with the exception of when you have dual ultimate gearing there is very little difference. You will find the automatic to be more fun in the higher "hill climb" gear ranges. The downside with the dual ultimate is having to use neutral to stop as the brakes may not be able to overcome the torque. It's more natural to disengage the clutch than to put an automatic in neutral so you may have to get used to that.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 07, 2016, 12:56:05 PM »
Autos definitely are easier to wheel than a manual with the exception of when you have dual ultimate gearing there is very little difference. You will find the automatic to be more fun in the higher "hill climb" gear ranges. The downside with the dual ultimate is having to use neutral to stop as the brakes may not be able to overcome the torque. It's more natural to disengage the clutch than to put an automatic in neutral so you may have to get used to that.

Great info! Thank you for the comments  :beerchug:

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 07, 2016, 06:36:47 PM »
You could run an auto with a single 4.7 case.

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Nov 11, 2016, 11:45:45 AM »
Got some more structural tubes notched and tacked in .. and mocked up the rear shocks/mounts

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Nov 22, 2016, 08:28:18 AM »
More structural tubes mocked and tacked in back in prep for upper shock mounts, and rear seat belt mounts.

Lower rear shock mount tabs by Locktup

More structural tubes mocked and tacked in front prepping for front suspension, winch and rad mount

nwflyoda

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 271
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 22, 2016, 01:44:36 PM »
don't tell anyone i said this...but this build almost makes me want to build a 4 seater buggy.  as mentioned before, love that you're sticking with yota running gear!  you certainly have more freedom in the build with a custom buggy vs a truggy.
84 Yota Pebble Pounder

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 677
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 22, 2016, 04:46:40 PM »
your not going to run the shock at that angle are you?

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Nov 23, 2016, 10:17:04 AM »
your not going to run the shock at that angle are you?
Pretty close why not..?

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Nov 23, 2016, 10:27:44 AM »
Pretty close why not..?

It could just be the picture...but if your shock is not, at least 90 degrees at full bump, you will get some weird performance characteristics, and you will never get it valved correctly... it looks like the shock will pivot forward at full bump, then swing/pivot back..the shock will swing both ways throughout the travel is what i am trying to say...(if you had a degree finder on the shock during full articulation, it will go from 80 degrees to 100 degrees...you dont want that....you want either 80-90 or 90-100 never both sides of perpendicular... again, this is all off of the picture...the angles just look all whacky...if you moved the upper shock mount forward to be exactly perpendicular, at bump...then you would be fine... again these measurements are directly correlated to the links them selves, not anything else on the truck.. P.S. i am not dogging on this build what so ever! i think this build is amazing!!
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2016, 10:33:58 AM by megaphoneman »

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Nov 23, 2016, 11:20:55 AM »
It could just be the picture...but if your shock is not, at least 90 degrees at full bump, you will get some weird performance characteristics, and you will never get it valved correctly... it looks like the shock will pivot forward at full bump, then swing/pivot back..the shock will swing both ways throughout the travel is what i am trying to say...(if you had a degree finder on the shock during full articulation, it will go from 80 degrees to 100 degrees...you dont want that....you want either 80-90 or 90-100 never both sides of perpendicular... again, this is all off of the picture...the angles just look all whacky...if you moved the upper shock mount forward to be exactly perpendicular, at bump...then you would be fine... again these measurements are directly correlated to the links them selves, not anything else on the truck.. P.S. i am not dogging on this build what so ever! i think this build is amazing!!

I understand and I appreciate your input.. This is why I put the build up on the forum.. Discussion is definitely welcome. In the above picture I believe the axle is at full bump (or close to it) .. I will have to get the angle finder and visit with boss about it.. I'm by no means an expert.

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Nov 23, 2016, 11:28:52 AM »
I understand and I appreciate your input.. This is why I put the build up on the forum.. Discussion is definitely welcome. In the above picture I believe the axle is at full bump (or close to it) .. I will have to get the angle finder and visit with boss about it.. I'm by no means an expert.
And no worries, i figured it was just a picture to show shock on axle..but it made me take a double take, and thought it looked like an odd placement. IF you are at full bump in that picture, then i would highly recommend not leaving that much up travel in the shock... but by the amount of fab work being done. i assume, you have a buddy helping you or doing the harder fab work! so i am sure he knows whats up.

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Nov 23, 2016, 11:51:04 AM »
And no worries, i figured it was just a picture to show shock on axle..but it made me take a double take, and thought it looked like an odd placement. IF you are at full bump in that picture, then i would highly recommend not leaving that much up travel in the shock... but by the amount of fab work being done. i assume, you have a buddy helping you or doing the harder fab work! so i am sure he knows whats up.

I'm learning.. Yep Jason is the pro on the fab work I'm helping.. So If I understand correctly 90 degrees is a good starting point at full bump.. so assuming in the photo the axle is at full bump the shock (which hasn't been mounted on the top yet is roughly at 90 or Perpendicular to the lower link..

megaphoneman

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Nov 23, 2016, 03:04:34 PM »
I'm learning.. Yep Jason is the pro on the fab work I'm helping.. So If I understand correctly 90 degrees is a good starting point at full bump.. so assuming in the photo the axle is at full bump the shock (which hasn't been mounted on the top yet is roughly at 90 or Perpendicular to the lower link..

yes exactly! there is a lot of info on this around the webz, what you want is to make the shock work as it should..
this thread - http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=af095fe1c1a6830dd8caa1017e5af711&t=4804&page=2
explains alot about it...

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Dec 05, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »
DIY/Weld on Bead locks completed

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Dec 05, 2016, 12:40:36 PM »
Front Axle placement set and first look with two tires bolted up!

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #46 on: Dec 05, 2016, 04:20:58 PM »
are those the flat keyed hi steer arms? are you planning on heims above the arm or under? I have been eying those for my build to help frame clearance vs normal raised high steer.

Front Housing built out for mockup with FROR Keyed Steer Arms, ARP Studs, and TG Studiess hubs

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Dec 05, 2016, 04:39:12 PM »
Yep they are the flat keyed arms from Front Range.. We were just talking about that today we will probably be able to run the heims on top because there is plenty of frame clearance at full bump.

are those the flat keyed hi steer arms? are you planning on heims above the arm or under? I have been eying those for my build to help frame clearance vs normal raised high steer.

Front Housing built out for mockup with FROR Keyed Steer Arms, ARP Studs, and TG Studiess hubs

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '12
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #48 on: Dec 05, 2016, 05:20:35 PM »
yeah from the measurements i have taken having the flat arms really makes sense when their are no leaves in the way.

nice fab table too BTW.

keep up the good work!

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Dec 05, 2016, 07:22:33 PM »
Thanks man

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -230
  • Male Posts: 868
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Dec 09, 2016, 09:43:52 AM »
first off.. killer build my friend the lines on the buggy just flow so well. Second I would have to agree with megaphoneman you do not want your shock at that much of an angle as your going to lose alot of control in the suspension movement that should be controlled by the spring rate/valving in the shock. 

Bananaclip

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 106
  • Member since Mar '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Dec 31, 2016, 05:35:19 PM »
Such a nice build!  I need a bender and notcher so bad...... :smokin:
84 extended cab

lostbuckaroo [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Apr 18, 2017, 09:33:41 AM »
Still making progress.. haven't had time to update the build thread... not to mention photo bucket has become a huge pain in the ass..

Here's a current shot of the front end.. will see ya on the trail this summer!

nwflyoda

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 271
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Mall Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Apr 19, 2017, 06:22:24 PM »
Looks great.  I hear ya there with photobucket.  Thats why i ended up switching to flickr.
84 Yota Pebble Pounder