Author Topic: 2004 Toyota Sequoia - What Tires?  (Read 17632 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
2004 Toyota Sequoia - What Tires?
« on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:13:48 AM »
One of our daily drivers is a 2004 Toyota Sequoia.  The stock size is 265/65/17 and I'm currently running 265/70/17s that fill the wheel wells a bit better.  I love the current Goodyear Fortera Triple Treads (great for dry, rain, and snow but stink on dirt), but am thinking that if I went to a more all terrain style tire I could do a little mild off roading when the 4Runner isn't necessary or traveling in the Sequoia would be a better option.  An example would be a trip to the San Juan mountains where there's a lot of high passes that are barely 4x4 roads.

I can't really think of a better tires than the BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 tires.  My dad ran the old style several times and they always performed great both off road and on the street plus they have the there ply sidewall.  Can anyone think of another tire that I should be considering?  They need to be excellent on the street as 99% of their use would likely be as a daily driver.

I am planning to sneak another year out of the current set unless they seem lacking in the rain this winter now that they are approaching the wear bar.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Re: 2004 Toyota Sequoia - What Tires?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2016, 09:05:08 AM »
One of our daily drivers is a 2004 Toyota Sequoia.  The stock size is 265/65/17 and I'm currently running 265/70/17s that fill the wheel wells a bit better.  I love the current Goodyear Fortera Triple Treads (great for dry, rain, and snow but stink on dirt), but am thinking that if I went to a more all terrain style tire I could do a little mild off roading when the 4Runner isn't necessary or traveling in the Sequoia would be a better option.  An example would be a trip to the San Juan mountains where there's a lot of high passes that are barely 4x4 roads.

I can't really think of a better tires than the BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 tires.  My dad ran the old style several times and they always performed great both off road and on the street plus they have the there ply sidewall.  Can anyone think of another tire that I should be considering?  They need to be excellent on the street as 99% of their use would likely be as a daily driver.

I am planning to sneak another year out of the current set unless they seem lacking in the rain this winter now that they are approaching the wear bar.

Pounder picked himself up a gx470 a couple weeks back. He opted for the Falken Wildpeak A/T for it. He's been raving about them.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2016, 09:18:50 AM »
Pounder picked himself up a gx470 a couple weeks back. He opted for the Falken Wildpeak A/T for it. He's been raving about them.

"The WILDPEAK A/T3W is engineered for adventure, any time and in any weather. The A/T3W combines aggressive off-road ability and rugged terrain driving without compromise on the pavement. An optimized tread design combined with a silica tread compound enable the A/T3W to excel in three areas: wear, winter, and wet performance. Designed for severe snow conditions, every A/T3W tire is qualified by the Rubber Manufacturers Association for the Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake (3PMSF) symbol. The A/T3W is packed with technology, from Falken’s patented 3D Canyon Sipes to an all-new proprietary lower sidewall. Full-depth sipes and grooves maintain consistent performance and appearance throughout the life of the tire."

Any idea what a "lower sidewall" might be?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2016, 09:20:52 AM »
You'd have to ask him for more info on it. I just know he is very happy with their road noise and the way they ride.

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 930
  • Male Posts: 761
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2016, 11:01:46 AM »
Your best tire choice as you already mentioned is the BFG ko2. There isn't a better tire out there for what you're looking for.
Two different tires I'd recommend are the BFG Rugged Terrain T/A, and the Copper Discoverer ATP.
You will be happy with any of these three tires.

However, I would stay away from the Falken Wildpeak. On the original A/T's the shoulders always wear out prematurely because of their design. Resulting in road noise and loss of traction. They are initially great tires, then become a disappointment after about 10k.
Not sure how the A/T3's are but falken never made good SUV tires.

Just my 2cents, happy shopping!
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2016, 12:11:50 PM »
Your best tire choice as you already mentioned is the BFG ko2. There isn't a better tire out there for what you're looking for.
Two different tires I'd recommend are the BFG Rugged Terrain T/A, and the Copper Discoverer ATP.
You will be happy with any of these three tires.

However, I would stay away from the Falken Wildpeak. On the original A/T's the shoulders always wear out prematurely because of their design. Resulting in road noise and loss of traction. They are initially great tires, then become a disappointment after about 10k.
Not sure how the A/T3's are but falken never made good SUV tires.

Just my 2cents, happy shopping!

The Cooper ATP is a tire that caught my eye in a parking lot. Clearly the KO2 is the most agressive. The only thing I don't care for is the sidewall because they hold dirt which doesn't look great on a mostly street SUV.

What is your experience with these tires?  It sounds like you have some personal experience with tire.

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 930
  • Male Posts: 761
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2016, 01:13:20 PM »
The Cooper ATP is a tire that caught my eye in a parking lot. Clearly the KO2 is the most agressive. The only thing I don't care for is the sidewall because they hold dirt which doesn't look great on a mostly street SUV.

What is your experience with these tires?  It sounds like you have some personal experience with tire.

Three years in the tire industry is my experience. Discount tire specifically. I left them about 3 years ago but what's on the market still seems to be about the same. I still shop for my tires there, they have the best prices.

The sidewalls on the BFG ko2 aren't too aggressive for city imo, but I understand the concern.

As for the cooper ATP, this tire is def your "best bang for the buck". Cooper tires are considerably cheaper than the competition. However, perform better than the majority of the competition. The ATP's are quiet, smooth, and have a long life.

Here is a link to someones review of them on a Sequoia:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-sequoia/145676-cooper-discoverer-atp-275-55-20-a/

1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2016, 02:48:57 PM »
X2

The only real reasons for not going with the BFG AT's would be cost vs time expected to run them before you buy new, or if you want a guaranteed tread mileage. 

The new set I am running do seem to be a little more stickier in the corners than the last version, which may effect the the mpg's some, noticed the first tank w/them on the mpg's were down a little, will have a better idea this week.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2016, 03:19:05 PM »
I think my list of tires that are under consideration are the following:

(1) BFG All Terrain KO2 - The obvious choice
(2) Cooper Discoverer ATP - Seems to maintain the street SUV appearance while having off road capability
(3) Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - Maybe a bit too aggressive for my uses
(4) Toyo Open Country A/T - Les Schwab is very convenient for me compared to Discount Tire.
(5) BFG Krawler Red Letter - Go Big or Go Home!  :gap:

I'll probably be updating this with more info as I gather it.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2016, 07:28:25 PM »
Bfg all-terrain
100% my recommendation
I have owned them and I have recommended them to friends and customers.
No one has ever complained about them in any way except for deep mudd.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2016, 07:38:58 PM »
I've heard of the KO2's having cracked early though.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bfg-ko2-cracking-at-10k.935975/

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:26:10 PM »
Discount Tire for 265/70R17

Cooper Discoverer ATP (SL) - $793.16
Warranty 55,000
Treadwear 560
Traction A
Temperature B
Speed Rating T

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac (SL) - $906.21
Warrant 50,000
Treadler 500
Traction B
Temperature B
Speed Rating S

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 (C1) - $958.38
Warrant N/A
Treadler N/A
Traction N/A
Temperature N/A
Speed Rating S

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:37:39 PM »
Should I be looking for a Load Range C or E?

Curb Weight 5,070 lbs
Gross Weight 6,500 lbs

Advantages and disadvantages for each?

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:43:11 PM »
E won't flex as well when aired down as the sidewall is stiffer, but you can tow with them since they're a 10 ply. Yes you can tow with a C rated but ou have to be careful with how much you tow.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:49:00 PM »
E won't flex as well when aired down as the sidewall is stiffer, but you can tow with them since they're a 10 ply. Yes you can tow with a C rated but ou have to be careful with how much you tow.

I don't tow much at all and when I do it's not more than a uhaul or boat.  I am not necessarily planning to purchase with off road being the goal, more just a bonus factor without giving up all on road driveability.  It's a heavy vehicle so I thought there might be some benefit for an E.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2016, 11:12:16 AM »
I just looked up the size you are interested in and the yokohamas don't have that size, oh well.
 Let me know when you and Rob are planning a San Juan trip, my wife and I love it up there, we could meet up and hit a couple trails.

No plan yet, but I'd be happy to wheel with you anytime.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 29, 2016, 11:23:10 AM »
I am running Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S on my 100 series and like them a lot. I read a lot of reviews before purchasing and these came out on top for these reasons
1. they run on the big side of their stated size(larger than other brands of the same size)
2. they ride really good
3. they look good. semi aggressive but not over the top
4. the price is on the lower side of comparable tires
5. most sizes come in load range C
6. my wife likes them

as good as the new BFG AT is, I think they look a little silly in the smaller sizes, especially on 17s as the sidewall tread becomes overly pronounced. again I am talking about smaller size tires with little sidewall.

here's my yoks

My dad previously ran the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S (I think this is the same model) on his 4Runner and now has the new BFG All-Terrains.  He thinks the BGFs are quieter on the road.

I think the BFG is the obvious choice based on everything that I know about them, but I really don't care for the cosmetics of the sidewall.  It's a stupid reason to not get them which is why I'll likely go that way, especially, if I have some light to moderate wheeling in the works.

I'm emailing with my dad now about doing Black Bear Pass in the Sequoia.  We know Hummers and Suburban's have gone over and also a Subaru so why not a Sequoia!

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Aug 29, 2016, 12:45:16 PM »
I have the Cooper Discoverer ATP on my DD 4Runner that sees occasional gravel roads. I like em so far.
Time to go wheelin!

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 29, 2016, 01:54:43 PM »
I think some boggers would be sick on it.

I like my BFGs but for a Sequoia I think I would choose the coopers.  My KO2s are a bit nastier than I expected in regards to balancing.  f course the Sequoia won't be getting 35s so I might not be a great source for comparison.  Either would be a good choice I'm sure though.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 29, 2016, 03:47:51 PM »
I think some boggers would be sick on it.

I like my BFGs but for a Sequoia I think I would choose the coopers.  My KO2s are a bit nastier than I expected in regards to balancing.  f course the Sequoia won't be getting 35s so I might not be a great source for comparison.  Either would be a good choice I'm sure though.

The size measures 31.5 inches. I could go a little bigger but I am trying to make it a wheeling rig so probably won't go larger than what I have.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 29, 2016, 04:14:53 PM »
I'd go with the KO2's or the Coopers.  I've done mild to wild on the old KO's in the 31.5 size, loved them 'till they died.  Replaced them with KO2's on wifey's 4runner, but she hasn't let me "really test" them yet Off-Road.  Exceeded the milage estimates on the old set, only changed them 'cause they wouldn't hold air anymore.   :twocents:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 29, 2016, 09:51:35 PM »
Have you looked into the Nitto Terra Grappler g2?  We get great feedback on them for most uses.  Excellent road manners and seem to do very well off road.

http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&fl=&tc=NITVL5&c=0&rcz=96002&pc=10442&ar=70&rf=true&rd=17&rc=CNNINT&cs=265

Yokohama also has a new geolander out that should do well, but I don't have feedback yet.  It is their at g015
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 30, 2016, 07:51:54 AM »
Have you looked into the Nitto Terra Grappler g2?  We get great feedback on them for most uses.  Excellent road manners and seem to do very well off road.

http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&fl=&tc=NITVL5&c=0&rcz=96002&pc=10442&ar=70&rf=true&rd=17&rc=CNNINT&cs=265

Yokohama also has a new geolander out that should do well, but I don't have feedback yet.  It is their at g015

I have briefly considered the Nitto brand but for some reason their tread designs always too like they would be rough to me. I know my local Discount Tire guys consider it an equal or better for the Toyo A/T.

I don't think I want a new Yokohama tire when there is proven options available.

If I liked the look of the BFG it would be a slam dunk. I much preferred the old design. 50,000 miles is a lot of looking at them!

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #23 on: Aug 30, 2016, 09:05:05 AM »
I have the nittos on my Tacoma and they are pretty nice. It is an E range tire on 18s so it rides a little rough but they are pretty quiet and wear well
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 30, 2016, 01:30:57 PM »
I have the nittos on my Tacoma and they are pretty nice. It is an E range tire on 18s so it rides a little rough but they are pretty quiet and wear well

What's your gut feeling for off road performance for the Nitto vs BFG vs Cooper. I saw the Coopers once and viewed them as a viable replacement for my current Goodyear Triple Treads but didn't necessarily think of them for off road purposes. The BFGs are proven to perform off road so I view them that way.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #25 on: Aug 30, 2016, 01:50:18 PM »
What's your gut feeling for off road performance for the Nitto vs BFG vs Cooper. I saw the Coopers once and viewed them as a viable replacement for my current Goodyear Triple Treads but didn't necessarily think of them for off road purposes. The BFGs are proven to perform off road so I view them that way.

I would prolly be replacing them with the bfg if I wasn't selling them truck. Hell I am still considering them for the jeep. As far as off road worthiness. I would think they would handle anything that you would be going through in the dd
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sep 01, 2016, 04:11:18 PM »
I've heard of the KO2's having cracked early though.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bfg-ko2-cracking-at-10k.935975/

Looks like a factory defect, a defect that would be covered under their 6yr manufacture's warranty.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Sep 01, 2016, 04:12:18 PM »
Should I be looking for a Load Range C or E?

Curb Weight 5,070 lbs
Gross Weight 6,500 lbs

Advantages and disadvantages for each?
6ply vs 10ply.
The oem tow ratings is 6500lbs, and it looks like the oem tire was an SL(4ply sidewall), so you should be fine with a C rated tire.  The E rated would be overkill for your Sequoia as the weight of the trailer would be primarily supported by the trailer's tires and not the Sequoias.  The E rated tires are really designed for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, where the truck's tires have to support the 5500lbs of the truck as well as the payload capacity or a portion of the  trailer's load as when using a 5th wheel trailer.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sep 01, 2016, 05:59:58 PM »
I did see a set of Toyo Open Country A/T tires today and they really look like they would perform well off road.  They are by far the most popular tires around where I live, partly due to the Les Schwab presence in the area.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sep 04, 2016, 02:05:39 PM »
Just as I was getting settled on the idea of the BFG KO2 tires I read a review about them likely not performing well in rain once you can't rely on tread depth to avoid hydroplane issues.

The Toyo Open Country AT is so popular around here that it would seem reasonable that it should handle the rain well.

The Cooper ATW is another interesting option.