Author Topic: Old school Enkei Hurricane wheel in need of inserts  (Read 7424 times)

sege

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Old school Enkei Hurricane wheel in need of inserts
« on: Jun 14, 2016, 11:54:55 PM »
I just picked up a set of 15x10 Enkei Hurricane wheels and they need the lug inserts replaced.  I've searched online and have yet to find any that are a direct drop in.  Anyone have recommendations on replacing these inserts?  I believe the ID is 13mm, OD of the stem is 20mm, and the lug seat looks to be about 30mm.  I am located on Hawaii island, so it isn't as simple as taking it to a wheel repair shop (none on my island and spendy to ship to Oahu) :-\

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Are the wheels hub-centric or lug-centric?

If hub-centric, I'd think you could drill them out and use the shanked lug nuts that fill the lug-hole and have a washer to clamp the wheel on.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

sege [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm not 100% sure but I believe these are lug centric...

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Lug centric.  It may be of no help, but I'd suggest calling Enkei directly and see if you can talk with an engineer to see if they may have some old specs on these so you could have some made.  Only way I can see doing it. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Why not have a machine shop (or yourself if you have the equipment) press out the nutserts, or drill them out?

You can get special plastic hubcentric alignment rings. Might suck, but you'll never have to screw with the nutserts again
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
If you pop one out I'd imagine you could send it to a reputable wheel company in the continental us and get some help.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Why not have a machine shop (or yourself if you have the equipment) press out the nutserts, or drill them out?

You can get special plastic hubcentric alignment rings. Might suck, but you'll never have to screw with the nutserts again

Hub centric and nut centric aren't gonna work the same.  Maybe I'm seeing something different in my head than you're thinking, but no matter if the wheel is centered on the hub, you still need properly seated lugs of some type to achieve proper torque and safety.  IF you could find the proper hub centric rings, you'd still hafta source flat base ford style lug nuts in the correct size, which I've never come across in any of our catalogues
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
something like this but I found some a long time ago that had the long shank and the 60* taper on them so wheels that had the wrong lugs like this wheel you show has but if you can find the right measurements you would be better off.
http://www.jegs.com/c/Wheels-Tires_Wheel-Lug-Nuts-Studs-Spacers/11611/10002/-1
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
If a machine shop presses/drills out the old nutserts, they should be able to put a bevel, allowing you to use acorn style nuts to center your wheels..

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
They're not very thick at that point.  When I get the time/am not lazy any more, I'll go see if I can mic mine.
RIP KYOTA

v6toy4x

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
try motor sport tech, they just redrilled my wheels and used those type of steel inserts