Author Topic: Plainview's New '84 Xtra Cab Toy  (Read 14074 times)

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 175
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Plainview's New '84 Xtra Cab Toy
« on: Jun 13, 2016, 10:33:54 PM »
Look what followed me home today:

20160515_142844 by Will Baker, on Flickr

20160515_142743 by Will Baker, on Flickr

20160515_142659 by Will Baker, on Flickr

20160515_142636 by Will Baker, on Flickr

20160515_141719 by Will Baker, on Flickr

20160515_142915 by Will Baker, on Flickr

20160605_102756 by Will Baker, on Flickr

20160605_102935 by Will Baker, on Flickr

DSC_2974 by Will Baker, on Flickr

DSC_2971 by Will Baker, on Flickr

DSC_2970 by Will Baker, on Flickr

DSC_2969 by Will Baker, on Flickr
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100651.new#new
Parts Wanted:

- Un-cracked dash pad (do they exist?)

Aus_Mallcrwlr

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Plainview's New '84 Xtra Cab Toy
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2016, 02:04:00 AM »
Wow, been restored or kept in good condition since new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2016, 05:46:13 AM »
NICE!
Time to go wheelin!

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2016, 06:43:46 AM »
Absolutely beautiful.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2016, 07:23:52 AM »
Yes.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2016, 07:54:46 AM »
What a cherry!  :thumbs:

mdtrail-toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 547
  • Male Posts: 238
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »
I love the factory stripes. Very cool. How did the A-pillars look in person once you got it?  I know you had concerns but with how the rest of the truck looks you should be good  :thumbs:

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2016, 03:26:58 PM »
It's an all original survivor.  The original owner really loved this truck and tried t to take as good of care of it as he could.

There's definitely something going on with the a-pillars.  I'm dreading what I'll find when I pull the windshield.

The carpets were wet but the floor pans look brand new and no smell of mold or mustiness so the leak must be pretty recent. 

When I showed him the carpets were wet and also pointed out the quarter size rusted patch on the firewall under the clutch MC that you could put your finger through if you tried her agreed to lower the price some more and to help out with the towing expense.  It has a seized caliper and something is causing the clutch to slip even though it only has about 14k on it so towing it the 110 miles home was the way to go..

Those pictures hide the flaws in the paint really well, it's going to need a paint job sooner than later but I'm hoping for this year I can just clean up any rust I find around the windshield, seal things up with epoxy and drive it.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

RATCATCHER38

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2016, 05:15:04 AM »
I can't get over how good that interior is! It looks great! Is that factory too? We only got carpet as an option here haha.

Also, seeing as you have two the same, is there any difference between the tray on the single and extra cabs? I mean in terms of length and wheel arch location?

Sent from my HTC_M9u using Tapatalk

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2016, 10:26:02 AM »
I can't get over how good that interior is! It looks great! Is that factory too? We only got carpet as an option here haha.
That was an SR5 trim level package for the both the 2wd and 4wd's here in the U.S.
Also, seeing as you have two the same, is there any difference between the tray on the single and extra cabs? I mean in terms of length and wheel arch location?
The 2nd gens('84-'88) 4x4's here had 3 cab and bed(tray) options, stand. cab w/a 6' or 7' bed, and x-cab w/6' bed.  The 6' beds are are interchangeable between the stand cab and x-cabs.

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2016, 10:54:09 AM by Snowtoy »
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2016, 12:28:05 PM »
Both my trucks are SR5s but this new one has different and much nicer seats.  It also has a"deck light" that the other truck doesn't have as well as the sunroof, so even on the SR5s there were different options.The seats were one of the selling points for me - I haven't seen them in another truck.  The driver's side has height, lumbar, and bolster, adjustment.  Unfortunately the knob/wheel for the bolster adjustment is missing and I imagine it won't be easy to find.

I'll post some more pics when I get home that show some of the flaws.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

RATCATCHER38

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 15, 2016, 01:37:23 PM »
That was an SR5 trim level package for the both the 2wd and 4wd's here in the U.S.The 2nd gens('84-'88) 4x4's here had 3 cab and bed(tray) options, stand. cab w/a 6' or 7' bed, and x-cab w/6' bed.  The 6' beds are are interchangeable between the stand cab and x-cabs.
Ah righto. I have never seen anything like those seats either. Old mate that you bought it off must have gone all out!

I see.... where is the extra foot of length? Is it in between the cab and wheel arc or on the end of the tray? Are both yours the same? I couldn't really see any difference in the photos.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 15, 2016, 01:59:43 PM »
Both my trucks are SR5s but this new one has different and much nicer seats.  It also has a"deck light" that the other truck doesn't have as well as the sunroof, so even on the SR5s there were different options.The seats were one of the selling points for me - I haven't seen them in another truck.  The driver's side has height, lumbar, and bolster, adjustment.  Unfortunately the knob/wheel for the bolster adjustment is missing and I imagine it won't be easy to find.

Was he the original owner?  I have never seen those type of seats in a Toyota truck either, the amount of side bolster(seat back) and adjustments are usually only found in cars of that generation. It could have been a dealership swap or possibly special order if it was bought new that way.  The Camry of that generation had very similar seats, you might find the dial you need on one of them of this is the dial you need.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 15, 2016, 02:02:08 PM »
I see.... where is the extra foot of length? Is it in between the cab and wheel arc or on the end of the tray? Are both yours the same? I couldn't really see any difference in the photos.
The extra foot of the long beds is between the cab and rear whee, both of his are 6' beds.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Jun 15, 2016, 03:05:07 PM »
My 84 had those seats. So nice for road trips.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 15, 2016, 04:25:17 PM »
Was he the original owner?  I have never seen those type of seats in a Toyota truck either, the amount of side bolster(seat back) and adjustments are usually only found in cars of that generation. It could have been a dealership swap or possibly special order if it was bought new that way.  The Camry of that generation had very similar seats, you might find the dial you need on one of them of this is the dial you need.

Yes, original owner.  He bought the truck off the lot this way.  Another interesting option, or non-option really, is that it doesn't have the inner bed walls.  it's just a single wall bed.  The inner walls bolt to brackets that are welded in place and this truck doesn't even have the brackets.  He confirmed that this is the way it came and didn't know most of them have those inner bed walls.

You can see what I'm talking about, and the typical rust at the seam, in this picture:

20160605_102522 by Will Baker, on Flickr

I have a spare, rust-free, double wall bed out beside my house.  I was eventually going to put it on the other truck but will obviously save it for this one now.

Thanks for the tip on the seat knob/dial.  Here is a pic of the one for the height adjustment.  The other two dials are located on the inboard side of the seat back.

20160515_142659 by Will Baker, on Flickr

Here is why I need the interior panel for the passenger side - it's become very brittle and is falling apart.  The one on the driver's side is fine so far.  This crumbling panel, the typical split in the dash pad, the missing dial on the seat and the fact the shifter boot shows a little wear are the only problems with the interior.  I just bought a new shifter boot for my other truck but I'll put it in this one instead and put this one in the other truck before I sell it.

20160605_102915 by Will Baker, on Flickr
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 15, 2016, 04:41:06 PM »
I just remembered another rare option this truck had for an '84 - auto locking hubs.  The OO said he had nothing but problems with them so swapped them for aftermarket manual hubs.

Anyone know what the first year for the auto lock hub option was?

He also replaced the sunroof about 7 years ago with one in brand-new condition that he bought off Ebay.  He gave me the original too and the metal frame around the outside of it is pretty badly rusted but the one he installed still looks like new.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 15, 2016, 04:53:10 PM »
Ha!  Look what just popped up on Ebay!  Buy it now, baby!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371656456732
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Jun 15, 2016, 07:37:10 PM »
84 was 1st year of auto not so well working hubs. Also yes I can verify those seats came in an 84 sr5 truck. I loved mine so much that when I sold the truck I kept those seats. I have them in the shop saved for a future build. Mine had every possible option including sun roof, power windows, console those seats, sliding rear glass, tach, all those bells and whistles. Maybe only the fully loaded versions came with those seats. I can also say that in 85 those seats were in use in the sr5 loaded trucks but the stripes actually were made up of the sr5 logo. A friend had one that I tried for years to purchase.
06 tacoma street truck

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 15, 2016, 08:02:42 PM »
Also yes I can verify those seats came in an 84 sr5 truck. I loved mine so much that when I sold the truck I kept those seats. I have them in the shop saved for a future build.
They must have been an SR5 option above the standard bucket seat.  I know Toyota had a long list of options you could pick from for the 2nd gens, unlike the 3rd gens where you had 3 package levels, and i think you could only change the windows(standard or wing).
Yes, original owner.  He bought the truck off the lot this way.  Another interesting option, or non-option really, is that it doesn't have the inner bed walls.  it's just a single wall bed.  The inner walls bolt to brackets that are welded in place and this truck doesn't even have the brackets.  He confirmed that this is the way it came and didn't know most of them have those inner bed walls.

I think the single wall bed was a carry over from the 1st gens, both of the '84's I have restored had single wall beds(no tabs to attach the inner panels to), but the '85 and newer that I have restored have all had the inner panels.  That was one thing I wish they had kept, prevented stuff in the bed from denting the outside, and for expedition trips you could stick insulation between the two for winter camping.

Here is why I need the interior panel for the passenger side - it's become very brittle and is falling apart.  The one on the driver's side is fine so far.  This crumbling panel, the typical split in the dash pad, the missing dial on the seat and the fact the shifter boot shows a little wear are the only problems with the interior.  I just bought a new shifter boot for my other truck but I'll put it in this one instead and put this one in the other truck before I sell it.

If you can't find one in good shape, or spend what someone wants for one, that panel is still savable, the one I posted in your other thread was worse than that and just as brittle.  I couldn't find any that weren't either just as brittle or when I went looking, so I just took a chance on restoring mine.  I think they changed the formula in '85 or '86, the plastic from those years on doesn/t seem to crumble like the '84's do.

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 15, 2016, 08:54:01 PM »
I saw that - good work!

Aren't they all the same from '84 - '88?  I mean in terms of fit/appearance.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 15, 2016, 09:06:37 PM »
Yet another (option?) difference between the two trucks.  The standard cab truck has blacked out grill, front bumper, and windshield trim.  The X-cab has chrome front bumper, grill, and windshield trim.  I actually like the black better...
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jun 15, 2016, 10:35:40 PM »
I saw that - good work!

Aren't they all the same from '84 - '88?  I mean in terms of fit/appearance.
Yes, any x-cab panels will work, finding them in a timely manner at a reasonable price was the issue for me.

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 05, 2016, 09:26:39 PM »
Been awhile since I checked in, hope everyone's had a good summer so far.

I tore into the front axle back at the beginning of the summer but then got lazy and distracted with other stuff.  Time to get back to work on it and get it finished up so I can tackle the clutch issue.

I figured with 148K on the clock it's probably due for new seals and bearings up front.  I noticed some drips off the knuckles so figured the axle seals were giving up after all these years.  I also wanted to upgrade to the FJ rotors and IFS calipers.  I'm a fan of always being able to stop...  :D  One of the original calipers was seized anyway.

I ordered the whole enchilada kit from Marlin but after tearing everything apart I'm pretty sure this was done once before.  Everything looks brand new inside and the whole knuckle was packed full of grease which was in good condition.  Oh well, at least now i *know* it's been done and the Marlin "eco seal" axle seals look better than what was in there anyway.

Here's the grungy original rotors and hubs, and a comparison of the IFS calipers with the original calipers and vented vs. solid rotors.  Note that the IFS calipers have two, equal sized larger pistons while the originals had different sized pistons.   One thing I didn't think about is that the IFS calipers are thicker overall.  I hope that doesn't cause any wheel clearance issues with the wheels that came with this truck.  I can swap the wheels on my other truck on, but that wasn't in the plan.

DSC_3050 by Will Baker, on Flickr

DSC_3087 by Will Baker, on Flickr

DSC_3089 by Will Baker, on Flickr

Here's the hubs all repainted with new rotor installed on one. See my post in the axle/differential/steering forum for my questions about the seals.

DSC_3880 by Will Baker, on Flickr

'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

84 yota dude

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 10, 2016, 06:36:45 PM »
Beautiful truck!

Are those v6 IFS brake parts? Where'd you get the calipers?

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sep 19, 2016, 06:35:25 PM »
Thanks man!  Sorry to take so long to reply, didn't see the notification that this thread had gotten a post.

Yes, those are 1990 V6 IFS calipers.  Got 'em at NAPA.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 09:45:01 PM »
Been awhile since I posted any updates, mainly because it's been awhile since I've done anything with this truck.  It spent the winter hibernating in my unheated garage while I mainly kept to my heated house.  But, as the weather has started to warm up and camping season is upon us, it's time to dive back in and get some things done.

After the front axle and brake rebuild was completed it was time to get the clutch dealt with.  The PO gave me paperwork that showed a new clutch went in only about 14K ago but he said it was starting to slip which, combined with a stuck front brake caliper, was one of the reasons I towed it home.

Not knowing what I'd find once things were apart I went ahead and ordered a Marlin 1200 lb clutch kit and a brand new flywheel.  Since my buddy who owns an auto repair shop owed me some labor I drove the truck for the first time since I'd bought it to his shop.  The clutch didn't slip during that drive but I didn't really load it.  What I felt was that there was absolutely no free-play in the pedal and the clutch would disengage pretty much as soon as you pushed the pedal at all.

Once it was up on the lift we discovered a leaky slave cylinder so off I went to NAPA for a new one.  Back at the shop my buddy was wrestling to get things apart.  Apparently Baby Huey did the clutch job as every bolt for the bellhousing and driveshafts were way overtightened.

We finally got it apart and discovered some pretty significant wear on the fingers:

pressureplate by Will Baker, on Flickr

The clutch disc itself was hardly worn but had a couple shiny spots on it and the flywheel showed some hot spots too.

This truck has a new/replacement clutch master cylinder in it so we took a gander at the pushrod and discovered that it was adjusted way too long and not only that, the pushrod itself was too long and could not be properly adjusted without cutting about 3/8" off of it.  So, out came the master cylinder and we cut the pushrod down.

Basically, the pushrod being too long was causing a situation like riding the clutch constantly and causing the clutch to release too early.  Once we got the new flywheel in along with the Marlin clutch kit, got everything else buttoned back up and bled it was easy to adjust the clutch pedal perfectly.  Just a bit of free play, maybe 1" and the clutch feels great.

As we were putting everything back together we discovered the slip joint in the rear section of the 2-piece driveshaft was seized.  No amount of buzzing it with the air hammer or pounding with a drift and hammer could free it. Well, there's the next thing that needs to be addressed.  We put everything back together and drove it back to my house.  It drove great but I knew I needed to fix that driveshaft ASAP to avoid excess wear on the pinion bearing or trans output bearings.

The next day I dropped the rear driveshaft out and dropped it off at Drivelines NW.  They proceeded to do my wallet raw with no lube and two days later gave me back this:

DSC_8150 by Will Baker, on Flickr

Since I already had the driveshaft out, I got inspired.

Hmm, something seems to be missing:

DSC_8143 by Will Baker, on Flickr

Oh, there it is:

DSC_8147 by Will Baker, on Flickr

And, there's it's replacement:
DSC_8148 by Will Baker, on Flickr

Not only did the standard cab have OME springs which I installed a couple summers ago but that rear axle has a very low mileage 3rd member in it that I acquired from mudmaster (THANKS!!!) after I broke the pinion gear in the original.  Just a couple years ago I also put new axle bearings and seals in and completely rebuilt the brakes including new wheel cylinders too, so despite it looking grungy that's basically a new rearend with OME springs on it.

Of course, I couldn't put something that gross looking in my spiffy truck, so some time was spent sprucing it up first.  I also decided to give the OME shocks a try and since I didn't really want as much lift as I ended up with on the standard cab I decided to stick with stock shackles on this truck.  Here's the finished product under the Xtra cab:

DSC_8151 by Will Baker, on Flickr

Note that I had to cut the exhaust pipe off as it was running into the shackle with the shorter OME spring.  I've got a 2.25" Dynomax muffler on the way and will have new exhaust from the cat-back soon.

DSC_8152 by Will Baker, on Flickr

Jack's wondering why I'm spending all my time in the garage and not taking him for as many walks...

I also deleted the chrome single tube bumper this truck came with as I'm going to install the Smittybuilt receiver-hitch bumper from the standard cab.

Next it's on to the front suspension.  That's in progress.  I'd forgotten what a PITA dealing with the front springs/suspension is.  More pics and blather to follow.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 05:52:01 AM »
Glad that third is working out for you.
Time to go wheelin!

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2017, 07:20:17 PM »
The transformation is almost complete.

A couple of days after I brought it home last summer:
DSC_2969 by Will Baker, on Flickr

Today:
DSC_8188-2 by Will Baker, on Flickr

More later...
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted:

Plainview [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2017, 12:12:12 AM »
To flesh out the above pics a bit -

I'm swapping everything that's good and cool from the standard cab onto the Xtra cab. Since I want to sell the standard cab as a runner, I'm putting everything that comes off the Xtra cab back on it.  Makes a lot more work but oh well.

So, after swapping the rearend, suspension and all, it was time to swap the front springs and extended brake hoses.  Everything came apart fine except the spiffy extended braided brake hoses.  I also had to partially disassemble the winch mount to get the front spring bolts out.  That was fun, those bolts were *rusty*.

I guess I was feeling my wheaties when I installed the brake hoses on the standard cab. The fitting where the hard line from the caliper joins the hose were over-tightened on both sides which caused the flare nut to flare out at the end.  This resulted in ripping all the threads out of both hoses as I unscrewed the flare nuts.  I had to go to NAPA and get two more short sections of hard line to redo the caliper lines and I had to get on the phone to 4Wheel Parts and order a new Trailgear extended brake hose kit.

The Trail Gear hoses come with a little piece of heat shrink on them, a couple of rubber insulated straps, two zip ties, and a funky plastic thingy and some screws. The idea is they want you to screw the insulated strap to the frame, mounting it on top of the plastic thingy then place the heat shrink where the strap goes around the hose and then use zip ties to hold it in place.  WTF?

They're worried about the hose rubbing on things like the frame from what I can tell from the instructions but that little tiny bit of heat shrink tubing really doesn't offer much protection and I didn't feel like dealing with the silly straps, screws, and plastic thingies and drilling holes in the frame.  So, I went to the closest parts store and bought some 5/16" fuel hose.  I think you can see where this is going...

DSC_8168 by Will Baker, on Flickr

DSC_8170 by Will Baker, on Flickr

That should provide ample protection from rubbing.

But, before I install the brake hoses I needed to get the springs installed.  The stock springs came out of the Xtra cab and went right into the standard cab with no problems.  The OME springs have enough arch that you can't install them with the torque rod and drag link hooked up, which I'd forgotten about so after struggling a bit to get them into the Xtra cab I went ahead and disconnected those things.  Then I had to lower the axle as far as I could on the jack which caused the front driveshaft to separate.  I now know I didn't get it back together with the U-joints lined up properly so will have to back and tackle that shortly.

You can probably imagine me trying to balance an axle on a jack while trying to get the slip yoke lined back up and simultaneously trying to get the spring pad lined up with the center bolt in the spring.  I needed a couple more arms and a twin or two.

Of course the stock bushings were pretty fried:

DSC_8164 by Will Baker, on Flickr

So it only made sense to replace them with some new Energy Suspension pieces:

DSC_8165 by Will Baker, on Flickr

Once everything was together with the weight of the truck on the axle again via jackstands, it was pretty obvious it was sitting a little lower than the standard cab did.  Clearly the extended shackles (which I left on the standard cab) gave it about another inch of lift which I wasn't getting here so had to shorten up my custom swaybar end links.  At least I can use the stock drag link though I'm not crazy about the angle and it definitely limits droop.

DSC_8176 by Will Baker, on Flickr
DSC_8177 by Will Baker, on Flickr

I want to find another stock drag link and put about a 10-15 degree bend in it and see how that works.  H8PVMNT offered to sell me a flipped j-arm he has laying around but after we talked about it and I got everything together and looked at it, I decided to hold off on that for now.  The drag link will hit the shock and dent it in that configuration and I'm not wild about that and so far the stock drag link is working okay and I want to try a bent one to see how that works.

Once the suspension was all back together it was on to the radiator.  The Xtra cab was in an accident long ago, shortly after the PO bought it.  The repair shop did a great job on the body, you can't tell it was bent at all, but for some reason they put the damaged stock radiator back in.  They did weld up the core where the fan hit it but that radiator should have gone in the garbage.  Hard to understand why they didn't replace it.  the whole radiator is bent and is leaking after all these years.

That doesn't look right:
DSC_8178 by Will Baker, on Flickr

Drippy:
DSC_8179 by Will Baker, on Flickr

Still, it mostly holds water so it went back in the standard cab to keep it running and the nearly new radiator from the standard cab went into the Xtra cab.

After that was all done I picked up a "new" used spare tire and had an exhaust shop put new 2-1/4" pipe on from the cat back along with a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler (#17747).  The new, much larger pipe and free flowing muffler is actually quieter than what was on there and sounds so much better.

Now it's just cosmetic stuff mostly.  I swapped the "fences" and the bed box between them also.   That's a nice box, I wish I could keep it, but I need the space and carrying capacity in the bed more than I need a box. 

The standard cab has a black grille and bumper which I like a lot better than the peeling, flaking chrome grill and chrome bumper that's starting to get rust spots. The standard cab also has H4 conversion headlights in it and those nifty old-school wire stone guards so I'll need to get to swapping that stuff pretty soon.

The pics above show the final result and this closeup compares the front end heights.  It's interesting to note both trucks sit nearly level with each other now with the standard cab still being a tiny bit taller in front.  The Xtra cab has the OME springs but stock shackles and some extra weight up front to pull it down a little bit.  The standard cab has extended shackles to raise it about 1" and the 32" tires also put it up another inch or more above the 30" on the Xtra cab.

DSC_8191 by Will Baker, on Flickr

Knowing what I know now, if I was doing this all again I'd probably just leave the stock springs in place and buy some 6" shackles from Marlin which would raise the truck about 1.5-2" max and get some OME shocks.  Oh well.

There's lots more detail work to do but I have some major home improvement projects coming up this summer and I have some things to do to the standard cab to get it ready to sell so not a whole lot of time to work on this truck for awhile.  I think I'll just enjoy driving it for now.  It runs and drives good.

To do list (in no particular order):

Swap front bumper, grill, headlights & stone guards.
Sandblast and powdercoat rear bumper.
Install new stereo.
Replace interior panels surrounding Xtra cab windows (I found a decent pair)
Rebuild & paint winch mount/brush guard.
Rebuild/restore rear slider window - replace felts if possible.
Finish exhaust upgrades - delete cat and run 2-1/4" pipe directly from the two intermediate pipes from the manifold.
Carb rebuild/rejet.
Install modified drag link.
Install relays and switches for headlights and driving/offroad lights.
Install ignition kill/theft deterrent system.
Replace 30" all-season tires with 31" BFG All terrains.  (Not going to happen 'til next spring/tax return).
Regear to 4.56 (Same as above)
Restore and install Enkei wheels.
Paint job.  - New decals???

Thanks for reading!  Thoughts and opinions welcome.
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
Parts Wanted: