Author Topic: If you can't walk, might as well crawl. Caleb's '92 2WD SAS Project  (Read 29797 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
A lot of you know about my son Caleb who has developed a autonomic nervous system disorder, most likely a freaky, rare side effect from a meningitis vaccine now required at age 11-13.  It has left him in a wheel chair because he can't stand up and remain conscious.  Oddly though he can still drive around in my 4runner and crawl over stuff in 4 low.  This makes life suck less.

Being an old Toyota crony and a dad with screwed up priorities naturally I can't think of anything better to do for him that build him a Toyota...

Caleb had been collecting parts the past few years with 4-H steer money and picking up hand me downs to build a Toyota.  He has a rusty '85 4runner with a knocking 22re, lockers and 5.29s and a hammered 1992 2WD pickup that turns over nice but won't fire.

Parts he has collected include hi-steer, a loose crawl box, 52" chevy rear springs, a pair of old school marfields, 14" shocks, a ruff stuff rear chevy kit and a mostly worn out set of 35s.

I was pushing him to build the '85 4runner, but he has always wanted to have the pickup.

Caleb and his mom and brother will be leaving for Dallas for some very specialized treatment for his condition at the end of the month. This will take two weeks.  I will be getting together with some buddies over a long weekend to get this pile of parts arranged into an entry level crawler.  I don't plan on doing any cool stuff like armor or cosmetics, just get it running and setup the SAS and get the 4WD drive train under there.  That way he will still have plenty to do later on.

This will be  complete surprise if we succeed and I can throw him his keys when he gets back from the two weeks in Dallas.  Should cheer up his day.

Here is the '92 2WD.  He got it for $200.  It was a road construction truck in its former life...

“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Great idea. Make sure to capture the moment you give him the keys on video. That's going to be one to remember.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I am available if You need any technical support.  :help:
How far away are you?
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I am available if You need any technical support.  :help:
How far away are you?

We are over in the middle of Montana.  About 40 miles outside of Great Falls.  I may inquire about the non-firing issue on the 22re.  It's been a while since I messed with that EFI since I have come full circle from 3RZ swap to carb.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2016, 09:56:51 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
To far to walk for sure.   :hahaha:
Happy to assist on line with anything you might need.
Good luck with the project. I will be watching every step of the way.
I recommend you post a list of parts you think you will need or as you need them.
Many of us have things laying around we could send your way.  :turtle:
Who knows maybe even the  :turtle3: might kick something your way.
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
To far to walk for sure.   :hahaha:
Happy to assist on line with anything you might need.
Good luck with the project. I will be watching every step of the way.
I recommend you post a list of parts you think you will need or as you need them.
Many of us have things laying around we could send your way.  :turtle:
Who knows maybe even the  :turtle3: might kick something your way.

Thanks!

Only things I can think of at the moment are a set of front shackles for the SAS.  We can probably make them if need be. Maybe an IFS steering box.

I will be making the front hanger, I made a jig years ago for one with a receiver in it.  It's a typical taller style.  I wanted to make it really low with a low profile hanger but his end goal is a bit taller so I will go with my old style hanger. Other than that I think we have pretty much everything in the pile.  There may be a few EFI doodads but I wont know until I start diagnosing.

We don't want it to be too done.  Then he can tweak it to his liking and he will still have to work for it if you know what I mean ;).

I am working with him to get the motor running before he leaves.  He just doesn't have any idea we plan to do the SAS for him.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2016, 04:00:05 PM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I am an expert at Drivability. If the no start condition proves to be a challenge I am your guy.  :shades:
Oh, and yep I know what you mean. I got three boys myself. 

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
Thanks!

Only things I can think of at the moment are a set of front shackles for the SAS.  We can probably make them if need be. Maybe an IFS steering box.

I will be making the front hanger, I made a jig years ago for one with a receiver in it.  It's a typical taller style.  I wanted too make it really low with a low profile hanger but his end goal is a bit taller so I will go with my old style hanger. Other than that I think we have pretty much everything in the pile.  There may be a few EFI doodads but I wont know until I start diagnosing.

We don't want it to be too done.  Then he can tweak it to his liking and he will still have to work for it if you know what I mean ;).

I am working with him to get the motor running before he leaves.  He just doesn't have any idea we plan to do the SAS for him.

I'd happily send you one of these tapped IFS boxes that needs to be rebuilt. Rebuild kit is like 30 bucks. Can plug the tap holes until you are ready for them too.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I'd happily send you one of these tapped IFS boxes that needs to be rebuilt. Rebuild kit is like 30 bucks. Can plug the tap holes until you are ready for them too.

I can't think of a good reason not to take you up on that.  I will PM you shipping address and let me know what freight costs and I will shoot you a paypal if you want.
– Steve McQueen

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
I can't think of a good reason not to take you up on that.  I will PM you shipping address and let me know what freight costs and I will shoot you a paypal if you want.

I'll cover the shipping. I'm just paying it forward from jangle sending me one.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks!

I will be making the front hanger, I made a jig years ago for one with a receiver in it.  It's a typical taller style.  I wanted too make it really low with a low profile hanger but his end goal is a bit taller so I will go with my old style hanger. Other than that I think we have pretty much everything in the pile.  There may be a few EFI doodads but I wont know until I start diagnosing.

I think I can come up with front shackles.
I will do some digging when I get home.
You know you need more stuff. keep It coming and I am sure we can hook you up.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Sweet!  Thanks guys!
– Steve McQueen

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
failed you on the shackles. they got tossed according to my friend.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Great thing your doing for and with your son.  Keep us updated on parts or advice and I'm sure we'll pull some rabbits out of our hats for him.   :turtle:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
failed you on the shackles. they got tossed according to my friend.

Thanks for tryin' anyway!

– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
When I get my boys truck going I might actually have somebody around here to go wheeling with!
– Steve McQueen

Aus_Mallcrwlr

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Following, wish I could help but I'm a few continents away. I hope everything works out well for you and your son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
"I love it when a plan comes together..."
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
So I put a battery in there and turned her over.  No fire, but I found the ground at the back of the head to the fire wall missing and the coil pickup wires appear to be rabbit chewed.  I think if I get fresh gas in there and fix the wires it might just fire up!
– Steve McQueen

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
 ;)

I went over my wiring harness with my volt/ohm meter, FSM wiring schematic, and lots of beer!  Found several issues with the harness. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Plainview

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 175
  • Member since May '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Such a cool project.  I've read your posts about your son and can't imagine what your family is going through.  Great way to stay positive and do something cool for him!
'84 Xtra Cab Project:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100651.new#new
Parts Wanted:

- Un-cracked dash pad (do they exist?)

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Caleb and I put plugs in it and fixed the messed up wires.  Swapped plug wires and cap and rotor from his 4runner.  Drained old varnish and put in fresh fuel in the tank. Looks like I am getting good spark but no fuel is making it to where it needs to go.

So either the fuel pump or something that makes the fuel pump run is goofed up.  Had this same issue on an 86 once and it was something weird.  I wish I could remember what it was.  I guess I'll start with the pump and then test if I have 12v to the right places when it needs it.

I've spent so much time getting into the carb stuff I'm now lost on EFI.  Embarrassing!
– Steve McQueen

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
Why not jumper the fuel pump and see if it's turning on? Itd be B+ and Fp.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Make sure your flap in the air box is moving when you are turning the engine over. That turns the fuel pump on.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Got the rig to fire with starting fluid and we got power to everything at the appropriate times.  Can't imagine why this fuel pump wouldn't work...  :)

– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
One of our old wheeling buddies came and cut off the front suspension Saturday morning before I even got there.  Solid axle rolled up and waiting.  I don't even want to talk about what we took this axle off of.  Caleb's buddy David working on T-case.
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Setting up the rear springs.  Peeled down to two leaves to approximate shackle angle.  Just tacked hangers on for now so I can move them later if need be. They will sit a bit taller when all is said and done.
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Hee hee heee...

– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I just realized the rear case is off an '85 with the longer hi-lo shift rail.  We forgot to trim it.  Guess I'll be dropping the rear case.  Can you grind that shift rail without disassembling the rear case?
– Steve McQueen