Author Topic: Scott Wilson's 1988 4Runner Build, Version 2.0  (Read 115903 times)

swilson

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Pulled the Alcans and shipped them back to get reworked.  Also found why my rear linelocks stopped working.  I'll have to redo my wiring when I put the springs back in, so it can move more

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2018, 09:50:03 PM by swilson »
Scott Wilson - TLCA #5261
1966 FJ40 [sold] - Click for Build thread
1988 3RZ 4Runner - Click for Build thread
1964 FJ40 TBD

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1856
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Why you send back alcans?

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up

The Alcan springs worked fantastic, but I was on the bump stops far too often.  I'll be shipping them back to get reworked for a couple more inches of lift.  It was my own fault, when I spec'd them out I didn't count on frenching the front spring hanger, so I lost some height there. 

1964 FJ40 TBD

Capra

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 468
  • Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
Never got to the bottom of exactly what the issue with my welder was.  I've switched to a new cylinder of gas, but still from the same shop.  Still occasionally have a porous weld for no good reason.  I plan to get another cylinder from a larger gas supplier and see if that solves my woes.  Today it was working well enough I finished the rear bumper.

I don't plan to build a swing-out for this year, but it's something I imagine I'll do in the future.   I went ahead and welded in two spindles... planning ahead.  This way when I build the swing outs I don't have to have the bumper powder coated again.  I took a close up of how the mounting point for the side-protection ties into one of the main mounting bolts for the bumper.  Slick design.   Thanks Luke.

Did Luke provide the tie points with your kit, or did you make them yourself? Mine didn't come with anything like that.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Everything on my bumper came in the kit. Except I paid extra for the spindles and bought the lights on Amazon
1964 FJ40 TBD

Capra

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 468
  • Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
Shoot, I guess I'll have to get in touch with him then. I've heard he's hard to get a hold of haha.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I beat the fender back into shape.  I may trim the fenders into shape a little bit, but I've abandoned my plans to finish them for awhile.  No paint job in the near future either.  We're about 2 mo from moving home, so my attention has firmly shifted to the house.  The plan is to get a few of the more-necessary things done on the 4Runner to make it wheel better, but that's all for now.  Once I get moved home I can work on it at a more enjoyable pace.

Got the Alcan's back with a couple more inches of lift.  It looks good.  Almost couldn't get it out of the garage after though, ha ha.  I grabbed another factory grommet from a Tundra (or similar) axle and used that to mount to my Alcan, to give the P-brake cable and ARB line more room to move.  The line-lock wiring got zip tied on the underside of them.

Re-mounted the hydro-assist ram so it hangs directly under the tie rod, eliminating the slight interference I was having with the panhard.  It's a bit more susceptible to rocks now, but it's a compromise.

Got the PS box back from the shop... twice.  Their fresh rebuild included a bad internal o-ring, so it leaked worse than ever on the first test drive.  Seems to be sealed up the second time around. 

Rear 3rd was leaking where it seals to the axle housing after the Rubicon trip.  Pulled the diff, but found it was likely just that I had swapped out the lower two studs for bolts (less likely to get broken off on rocks) but didn't put sealant on the threads, so I think that was the leak.  Oh well, it's all freshly sealed up, and the gears looked good.

The front tires could chew on the end of the front bumper pretty good with the wheel stuffed and turned at the right angle.  I sliced the end of the bumper off, capped it, and dropped it off for powder coat today.

Besides installing some rock lights, that's probably all I'll accomplish before Marlin's Roundup.
1964 FJ40 TBD

wing nut

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
any updates/pics? Really love this build!

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I made it out to Marlin's Roundup, 4Runner ran great! 

With the exception of wheeling that one weekend, all my time has been consumed with moving back home.  I also picked off some of the finish work on the house that I wanted to do myself.  So... Super busy

It'll probably be a few months until I devote some real hours toward the 4Runner.  I did get a Can-Back soft top ordered for it this morning!!!  I got an email from them last night that they're finally going into production!  Expected to ship before Thanksgiving

1964 FJ40 TBD

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
"NEW" Can-Back soft top
We will be all looking forward to a full review and write up Scott.  :sly:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
No Can-Back under my tree!  After missing their thanksgiving shipping estimate, they told me Dec 13.  Then they missed that and most days wouldn't answer their phone.  After too many excuses and no response to my email and voicemails requesting a refund, I went to my bank and filled out the paperwork disputing their charge.

I did get a hold of them just after filling out the paperwork.  They gave me a long story about how the shop they subcontract the sewing of the tops to got their wires crossed and had been producing other models instead if the 4Runner tops they were supposed to be making.

I told them I'd lost faith in them after two missed dates and them not answering their phones, and had filled paperwork to get my money back.  They were sympathetic and not upset.

I told them if they get their act together and have a top on the shelf ready for IMMEDIATE shipment they could call me back. 
1964 FJ40 TBD

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
No Can-Back under my tree!  After missing their thanksgiving shipping estimate, they told me Dec 13.  Then they missed that and most days wouldn't answer their phone.  After too many excuses and no response to my email and voicemails requesting a refund, I went to my bank and filled out the paperwork disputing their charge.

I did get a hold of them just after filling out the paperwork.  They gave me a long story about how the shop they subcontract the sewing of the tops to got their wires crossed and had been producing other models instead if the 4Runner tops they were supposed to be making.

I told them I'd lost faith in them after two missed dates and them not answering their phones, and had filled paperwork to get my money back.  They were sympathetic and not upset.

I told them if they get their act together and have a top on the shelf ready for IMMEDIATE shipment they could call me back.
Super disappointing to hear.
You held out longer then I would have.
Killer toy tops for the win?
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

joeyf

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 848
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
That really sucks. Was looking forward to seeing the install and was hoping to get some measurements to see if it would work with my cage on my 4runner.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I never heard anymore on the CanBack top.  Anyone hear of someone successfully taking delivery of one?

Finally made some more progress on this. Worked out the shape of the fenders some more and then formed round bar to match the shape I wanted.  Welded the round bar in to put a new edge on the fender, which added a lot of strength back into the fender.

For the rear fenders I formed sheet metal to make new inner fenders, which is great, so the rear tires will stop throwing rocks into the interior  :D

I finished it up with an etching primer and spray on bed liner

Hope to get the 4Runner painted this month
1964 FJ40 TBD

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Once again Scott, nice work!! Wished I had your patience!! :clap: :clap:
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Agree with oops.  Im going to have to weld up my rear inners this summer. Have not been looking forward to it.
hold this. . .

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Body work is in progress
1964 FJ40 TBD

LinksN4Ds

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 215
  • Member since Jun '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
This is most likely the best body work I've seen on a wheeler!
Trapped in a house of glass, begging for stones!

WizardMaster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
You can bet after all this fine work, he won't be out in the rocks going crazy!! He appreciates how his ride looks!!! I can respect that!!! :thumbs:
Yours may go fast,but, mine can go anywhere and if you get in my way, I'll run over you with my big tires, the Taco Box way...... Nice and slowwwwwwww......

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
You can bet after all this fine work, he won't be out in the rocks going crazy!! He appreciates how his ride looks!!! I can respect that!!! :thumbs:

Why do you think hes doing body work right now?  This truck was built to use.
hold this. . .

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
The paint will not keep me from Wheeling it hard, but it will keep me from being stupid while Wheeling  :greengrin:... Hopefully

I do appreciate clean rigs!!!

I had to have the FJ40 touched up a couple times... Stuff happens.  I can only hope this paint job turns out as well as the FJ40 did.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2019, 07:01:08 PM by swilson »
1964 FJ40 TBD

WizardMaster

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 52
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The paint will not keep me from Wheeling it hard, but it will keep me from being stupid while Wheeling  :greengrin:... Hopefully

I do appreciate clean rigs!!!

I had to have the FJ40 touched up a couple times... Stuff happens.  I can only hope this paint job turns out as well as the FJ40 did.

That's what I mean. All that fine work will keep you from being stupid but at least you'll think about all that hard work you've put into trying to make something people will appreciate while you are out there showing it off. 
Yours may go fast,but, mine can go anywhere and if you get in my way, I'll run over you with my big tires, the Taco Box way...... Nice and slowwwwwwww......

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Not long after Marlin's Roundup last year I ruptured a disc in my back and was not wrenching for months.  The 4Runner was parked on granite base rock, under a carport & didn't get cleaned up until spring/summer.

When I did finally get to it, I found it looked like it had been parked near the ocean.  Any scrapes in the powder coat had bright orange rust and any aluminum had that salt pattern that aluminum gets.  I'm guessing the base rock had a high salt content, because I don't live in an area with a bad rust problem

The really disappointing part was my new Race line wheels... I had assumed they had a clear coat, but it turns out they were raw aluminum. The wheels looked horrible.  I tried polishing them out, but wasn't satisfied with the results.  I ended up having them powder coated.  Gloss silver with semi gloss black rings.  I think they'll look great on the freshly painted rig. Should know in a couple of weeks.
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Getting closer to paint
1964 FJ40 TBD

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Are you going to change colour or go grey again?
hold this. . .

CORRODED

• Shoutbox Ban
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jul '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Very nice build!

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Same blue I used for my FJ40, with silver Toyota stripes
1964 FJ40 TBD

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
That is going to look great.
hold this. . .

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Back from paint!!  Off to Rubithon Thursday!
1964 FJ40 TBD