Author Topic: Scott Wilson's 1988 4Runner Build, Version 2.0  (Read 35320 times)

swilson

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 187
  • Member since Aug '11
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
TruckLite LED.  Good low beam, bad high beam.  After I installed them my blue-high beam indicator stopped working... it worked for a second or two, then went out.  I've verified the blue LED in the cluster is still functional and installed the correct direction.  Still need to finish trouble shooting why it doesn't work.  I had just installed the LEDs in the instrument cluster too, so not sure that the highlights were the cause.
Scott Wilson - TLCA #5261
1966 FJ40 [sold] - Click for Build-up thread
1988 3RZ 4Runner

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 6142
  • Male Posts: 2,268
  • Member since May '15
    • Buy me a beer
Led headlights do not have enough current draw to turn on the dash high beam indicator.
80 short bed, longs, hi steer, 4.7 case twin stick, 4.11, 38 tsl, mild built 22r
83 long bed, sas, hi steer, 3rz, w56, 4.56 33s
95 4runner project
06 4 door tacoma street truck

:)bestgen4runner

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2184
  • Male Posts: 1,494
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
I need a picture of the crunched fender.
Show and tell.
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

seabass

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Member since Aug '06
    • 12voltguy.com
Pat and I were just talking about your old runner, how nice it was, then today he sent me this :biggthumpup: wow what a build. great work
sorry to see the house fire :shudder: :shudder: :shudder:
www.12voltguy.com

TTC 2010 Driver #50
92 4runner

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Led headlights do not have enough current draw to turn on the dash high beam indicator.

That could definitely make sense, but it's pretty odd how it worked for a couple seconds when I first powered on the high beams... but it's never even flickered on each time I've powered them on since.
1988 3RZ 4Runner

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I need a picture of the crunched fender.
Show and tell.

Ha ha ha, ok
1988 3RZ 4Runner

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Pat and I were just talking about your old runner, how nice it was, then today he sent me this :biggthumpup: wow what a build. great work
sorry to see the house fire :shudder: :shudder: :shudder:

Seabass... there's a name I haven't heard in awhile.  Hope you're going great!  And thanks!
1988 3RZ 4Runner

seabass

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Member since Aug '06
    • 12voltguy.com
Seabass... there's a name I haven't heard in awhile.  Hope you're going great!  And thanks!

no rig in 8 years so been off all the 4x4 boards, customers still show off there rigs, so I'm looking for a toy :)
www.12voltguy.com

TTC 2010 Driver #50
92 4runner

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 6142
  • Male Posts: 2,268
  • Member since May '15
    • Buy me a beer
That could definitely make sense, but it's pretty odd how it worked for a couple seconds when I first powered on the high beams... but it's never even flickered on each time I've powered them on since.
Mine did the same thing. I ended up going back to halogen lights when one of my LEDs got wet. Now the indicator works again.
80 short bed, longs, hi steer, 4.7 case twin stick, 4.11, 38 tsl, mild built 22r
83 long bed, sas, hi steer, 3rz, w56, 4.56 33s
95 4runner project
06 4 door tacoma street truck

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1961
  • Male Posts: 2,586
  • Member since Feb '05
    • Buy me a beer
My LEDs from superbrightleds.com work great and they've been wet on numerous occasions.
Time to go wheelin!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 4983
  • Male Posts: 3,251
  • Member since May '07
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Mine did the same thing. I ended up going back to halogen lights when one of my LEDs got wet. Now the indicator works again.

Add a small normal bulb or power resistor in parallel to the high beams for a more 'normal' load so the indicator works.   
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1961
  • Male Posts: 2,586
  • Member since Feb '05
    • Buy me a beer
Mine are plug and play.
Time to go wheelin!

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Pulled the Alcans and shipped them back to get reworked.  Also found why my rear linelocks stopped working.  I'll have to redo my wiring when I put the springs back in, so it can move more

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2018, 09:50:03 PM by swilson »
1988 3RZ 4Runner

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1396
  • Male Posts: 149
  • Member since Jul '06
Why you send back alcans?

• Online Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3513
  • Male Posts: 531
  • Member since Jun '15
  • Working on my truck with Marlin
Keep it TOYOTA!

In the past years, I used to get a lot of calls from Jeep owners wanting to go slow like the Toy trucks.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up

The Alcan springs worked fantastic, but I was on the bump stops far too often.  I'll be shipping them back to get reworked for a couple more inches of lift.  It was my own fault, when I spec'd them out I didn't count on frenching the front spring hanger, so I lost some height there. 

1988 3RZ 4Runner

Capra

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 468
  • Member since Jun '16
Never got to the bottom of exactly what the issue with my welder was.  I've switched to a new cylinder of gas, but still from the same shop.  Still occasionally have a porous weld for no good reason.  I plan to get another cylinder from a larger gas supplier and see if that solves my woes.  Today it was working well enough I finished the rear bumper.

I don't plan to build a swing-out for this year, but it's something I imagine I'll do in the future.   I went ahead and welded in two spindles... planning ahead.  This way when I build the swing outs I don't have to have the bumper powder coated again.  I took a close up of how the mounting point for the side-protection ties into one of the main mounting bolts for the bumper.  Slick design.   Thanks Luke.

Did Luke provide the tie points with your kit, or did you make them yourself? Mine didn't come with anything like that.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Everything on my bumper came in the kit. Except I paid extra for the spindles and bought the lights on Amazon
1988 3RZ 4Runner

Capra

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 468
  • Member since Jun '16
Shoot, I guess I'll have to get in touch with him then. I've heard he's hard to get a hold of haha.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I beat the fender back into shape.  I may trim the fenders into shape a little bit, but I've abandoned my plans to finish them for awhile.  No paint job in the near future either.  We're about 2 mo from moving home, so my attention has firmly shifted to the house.  The plan is to get a few of the more-necessary things done on the 4Runner to make it wheel better, but that's all for now.  Once I get moved home I can work on it at a more enjoyable pace.

Got the Alcan's back with a couple more inches of lift.  It looks good.  Almost couldn't get it out of the garage after though, ha ha.  I grabbed another factory grommet from a Tundra (or similar) axle and used that to mount to my Alcan, to give the P-brake cable and ARB line more room to move.  The line-lock wiring got zip tied on the underside of them.

Re-mounted the hydro-assist ram so it hangs directly under the tie rod, eliminating the slight interference I was having with the panhard.  It's a bit more susceptible to rocks now, but it's a compromise.

Got the PS box back from the shop... twice.  Their fresh rebuild included a bad internal o-ring, so it leaked worse than ever on the first test drive.  Seems to be sealed up the second time around. 

Rear 3rd was leaking where it seals to the axle housing after the Rubicon trip.  Pulled the diff, but found it was likely just that I had swapped out the lower two studs for bolts (less likely to get broken off on rocks) but didn't put sealant on the threads, so I think that was the leak.  Oh well, it's all freshly sealed up, and the gears looked good.

The front tires could chew on the end of the front bumper pretty good with the wheel stuffed and turned at the right angle.  I sliced the end of the bumper off, capped it, and dropped it off for powder coat today.

Besides installing some rock lights, that's probably all I'll accomplish before Marlin's Roundup.
1988 3RZ 4Runner

wing nut

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
any updates/pics? Really love this build!

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I made it out to Marlin's Roundup, 4Runner ran great! 

With the exception of wheeling that one weekend, all my time has been consumed with moving back home.  I also picked off some of the finish work on the house that I wanted to do myself.  So... Super busy

It'll probably be a few months until I devote some real hours toward the 4Runner.  I did get a Can-Back soft top ordered for it this morning!!!  I got an email from them last night that they're finally going into production!  Expected to ship before Thanksgiving

1988 3RZ 4Runner

:)bestgen4runner

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2184
  • Male Posts: 1,494
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
"NEW" Can-Back soft top
We will be all looking forward to a full review and write up Scott.  :sly:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.