Author Topic: Scott Wilson's 1988 4Runner Build, Version 2.0  (Read 115982 times)

swilson

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Sorry, I was being sarcastic.  The house burned down nearly 2 years ago, and seriously delayed this project.
Scott Wilson - TLCA #5261
1966 FJ40 [sold] - Click for Build thread
1988 3RZ 4Runner - Click for Build thread
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
DC Control was really great to deal with today.  They answered my email promptly and through a dozen or so back and forth emails was able to determine it was my install that needed work, not their fan controller. 

When the unit gets delivered the studs have nuts already on them.  I used those to connect the electrical lugs, but that's not how it's designed to work.  Those nuts need to stay in place to hold the lid on the housing.  Put the electrical contacts on top of those nuts and use the additional provided hardware to secure them.
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Pulled the top off today.  Put in 4wd for the first time today.   :D :D :D

I cut in some lights for the rear bumper.  On the front bumper I test fit the winch, welded on the brackets for a 20" LED bar, and welded all the plates on the All Pro bumper.  They only weld them enough to keep them in place.  Trouble is when you paint or powder coat, they won't get paint in the crack between the two pieces of steel, so you end up with rust in the crack.  So I welded the entire perimeter of all the plates on the bumper.  Both bumpers are going to the powder coater tomorrow. 

Tomorrow I plan to weld on the rock sliders.

Engine has been running great.  I need to hook it up to a scanner soon and make sure all my monitors have cleared.  Ref appointment is Friday.
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I've also lowered the tires to 26 psi, then again to 24 psi, each time it handles noticeably better.   Contact patch seems to be full width now.
1964 FJ40 TBD

Ritchie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 539
  • Male Posts: 265
  • Member since May '13
  • Ritchie
    • View Profile
I've also lowered the tires to 26 psi, then again to 24 psi, each time it handles noticeably better.   Contact patch seems to be full width now.
Great news.
I run mine @ 24 also, drives much better.
Good luck on Friday.
'03 Step side Pre-runner, F/R 4WU 3 linked, F/R Diamond axles, F/R ARB's w/5.29's, F/R Fox 12" CO's, ShrockWorks front bumper, self made rear bumper, WARN M8000S w/ remote, 4.7 Inchworm Lefty, MC sliders that hold air & a bunch of other stuff.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Ref appointment is Friday morning.  Still haven't gotten the EVAP monitor to complete.  Getting pretty nervous it won't happen in time.
1964 FJ40 TBD

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
You should be able to google the drive cycle.  Seems like it just needs a couple full temp cycles and a little freeway
hold this. . .

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Yup, I have it. Hasn't worked so far.
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
That would be ideal... Thanks
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Unfortunately it looks like that info is only for smog checks.  Referee inspections require all monitors to be set.  Jeff ran into this exact scenario before and the referee failed him for only an EVAP monitor that hadn't completed.

Tonight I used Jeff's scanner (a professional level scanner, not like my cheap one) and I was able to see I had a pending EVAP code that was not visible from my scanner.  You cannot get the EVAP monitor to complete with a pending code.  The service manual listed a dozen causes for this code, including vacuum leak, gas cap leak, bad VSV.  We smoke tested the system, but found no leaks.  I put a new gas cap on.  I also found that the VSV was not clicking when idling, like it was the other day.  I got an entirely different EVAP box with a different VSV on it and swapped that in tonight.

For the drive cycle, Toyota specifies the air temp and coolant temps must be within 13 degrees at start-up, so right now I'm waiting for the engine to cool.  Then off to try and get the monitor to set.  For a 2000 4Runner 3RZ it specifies, cold start, drive 45 mph for 5 minutes, then 25 mph for 15 minutes with at least 2 stops, minimum 30 seconds each. 

Since I had to lower my radiator, it was hanging out below the frame where it was vulnerable.  This weekend I built some protection for it.  I also welded on the rocker protection. 

Jeff used his forklift to flex the 4Runner tonight.  The rear tires were into the body pretty hard, preventing the rear tires from stuffing all the way.  I absolutely have to flare this fenders before hitting the trail.  Even with that issue, I was still very impressed.  The rear is going to flex great... the front is just ridiculous!   :D :D :D
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Success!!!!!!!

Not sure exactly what it was since I threw a few different parts at it tonight, but it's fixed!  The monitor set quickly too, under 10 min.  I did the 45mph for 5 min, then 25 for about 3 min.  Came to a stop for 30 sec and decided to check the computer and it already showed the EVAP monitor had completed. 

1964 FJ40 TBD

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Make sure you don't disconnect the battery.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Looks great! I love it.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Flex zilla! Makes Me jealous and wish I linked Mine.
How are the high speed road manners? Especially high speed turns with bumps?
Makes it much worse that our trucks are the same color.  :shocking:
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I was a bit nervous of it's on road handling characteristics when I first started driving it.  Now that I've got the tire pressure set so that entire width of the tire is on the pavement , it handles good.  High speed bumps and dips are no issue, it behaves just like any normal car would.  The suspension is very soft, so it leans out of turns quite a bit. You definitely have to keep a steady hand in the curves , especially at high-speed.  I took it out on some winding two lane roads in the hills for about an hour one evening this week. I felt very comfortable with it.
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Makes it much worse that our trucks are the same color.  :shocking:

Mine will be painted soon... Probably this summer.  That'll ease the pain, right?
1964 FJ40 TBD

gnob

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 486
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Looks tight.  Glad you're getting the fine tuning stuff dealt with.  Sometimes that stuff kills you.
hold this. . .

8T3

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
I got to see the rig in person tonight. As everyone knows, the fab work is spot on. The foresight and attention to detail is what sets this build apart.

See ya at MCR.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Thanks Greg.  Your truck is looking killer

Had a very stressful morning, but it ended well.  At my 1st ref appointment he told me to bring back documentation from Toyota that shows they have inspected my ECM and that it is up to date, and unmodified.  I visited my local dealer a few days ago.  The tech plugged in his laptop and ran a 'health check', which it passed.  He told me this is the only test the dealer is capable of running on this ECM.  He printed 3 pages that showed he had done a health check on a 2000 4Runner 2.7L 3RZFE, and that no issues were present.  It didn't show any type of serial numbers, vin, or revision numbers of software on the ECM.   

Today I showed up 15 min early for my appointment at the referee.  He immediately asked for the documentation from Toyota.  I gave him the 3 pages I got from Toyota.  He then asked for my invoice.  I told him there was no invoice.  I'm a long time customer at that dealership and they didn't create a work order for the 5 minutes of time I took to do the check.  The ref threw a fit.  I showed him his own paperwork where he specified for me to bring documentation that the ECU had been tested and that no where did it say I had to provide an invoice.  He told me my paperwork wasn't going to satisfy what he asked for and actually told me to leave and that I'd have to reschedule my appointment when I had the paperwork he wanted.

I protested, explaining how the Toyota Master Technician told me this was the only documentation he could provide regarding a test of the ECM and that there is no such thing as different versions of the software, so it is up to date.  He again said I would have to reschedule.  I pointed out to him that my appointment time didn't even start for 15 more minutes and told him I would phone Toyota and see if they could provide an invoice by email or fax that specifies no other software revisions exist.  I stepped out and called the dealership.

I was told again by my contact at the dealership, the documentation the ref is requesting doesn't exist, and unfortunately the tech that did the work isn't working today, so having him talk directly to the ref wasn't an option today.

I walked back in and found that the guy I had been dealing with had a mild change of attitude.  I suspect the other (more senior looking) employee in the office had tuned him up a bit while I was out of the room.  I relayed again that the documentation he's asking for doesn't exist.  Now he says, he's willing to do the inspection, and that he may have another way to verify the ECM is stock.

They start the inspection and don't say another word to me for 165 minutes... of my 90 minute appointment.  At one point I hear him in the garage getting really vocal about something being wrong and heard "because it's a not a 4x4."  I can only assume that was when he was physically looking at my ECM and saw that the Toyota sticker with part number, specifies its for a 4x2, M/T.  I heard the more senior guy tell him, "that's mechanical. It has nothing to do with it.  Just do your best."

Finally he comes in and tells me I've passed.  I asked for some clarification of what happened, so that I can better inform other people who are also doing this swap of how to be prepared for their referee appointments.  He says (with attitude), all anyone needs to know is in Appendix E of the CARB engine change guidelines.  Ok fine.  So I ask how he specifically verified that my ECU was not modified today.  He tells me (again with attitude) that I was very lucky I had brought the VIN for the vehicle my engine came out of, because he was able to get data from it's last SMOG check and verify that things matched up. 

I told him ok and thanked him for the info... but what a load of crap!  I pulled my engine out of a 4Runner with an auto tranny... so it had a different ECM.  This ECM came from a wrecking yard and we have no idea what the VIN is for that vehicle.

So... I won the battle.  I'll never have to see that guy again.  Yea for me. 

Got my BAR sticker and headed right over to DMV to get it registered... and to finally get my plates on it!   Now the referee stress is over... hopefully I can chill out and enjoy getting it ready for Rubithon!  Need to change the intake so I can mount my 2nd battery in the engine compartment, wire the 2nd battery, plumb the ARBs, wire the compressor, ARB solenoids, rock lights, light bar, back up lights... and flare those fenders!  I've got 2 weekends, so I think it shoudn't be an issue.

Got the freshly powder coated bumpers on last night
1964 FJ40 TBD

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26852
  • Male Posts: 3,506
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Congrats  :thumbs:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3687
  • Male Posts: 2,847
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Congrats, but just one of many reasons I hate kommiefornia
Time to go wheelin!

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
He beat me to it. That is the biggest load of horse maneur ever. All to get a tag and register at DMV. Crazy. But I'm glad all your homework and hard work paid off in the end.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Can't argue with either of you.  The B.S. is thick here.

1964 FJ40 TBD

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1856
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Nice! Fight the good fight!

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,896
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
congrats on the passing of the ref I had an issue when reffing mine back in 09 mine was timing because I lived at 8000ft then and my ref station was in sac so I ended up calling the refs boss and he told them to pass me since it smoged fine all 3 times
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Been fighting some kinda cold/flu thing all weekend, but I still got some done.

Removed the huge stock air box and intake and put in a shortened K&N intake.  That gave me room to weld the battery tray back in on the passenger fender.  I was also able to move the fuse box back and move the 3RZ cruise control box over too.  I mounted the solenoid for the dual battery setup just below the fuse box.  The ARB compressor went on the strut tower.  All the shuffling around gave me room for 3 relays in the corner and some left over room, probably for a hot water shower pump.

I made a bracket that the battery sits on to mount my Warn solenoid box and lengthened/shortened the cables as needed for a tidy engine compartment.  The front bumper got some small LEDs for turn signals and a resistor so that it doesn't flash at crazy fast speed.  Must have bought the wrong resistor though, because it's still faster than stock and they don't flash at an even tempo... it's entertaining to watch.  Got the winch in, changed the rope to synthetic, and mounted the light bar.  It's triggered by the high beams, so no need for an extra switch in the cabin.

My interior was in great shape to start with, so I hate to mess that up.  The controller for the dual batteries I hid in the glove box, riveted in place.  I did cut the ARB switches in where the clutch-start-cancel switch would have been (if I hadn't started with a auto tranny)... but it still looks clean.  Ran out of steam before I wired in the bank of the 6 switches where the stereo used to be.  That can be tomorrow night's project.

The RAM cell phone holder I added a couple weeks ago.  All of my vehicles have these.
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
More pics
1964 FJ40 TBD

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Picture of turn signals and a link please.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Pic is above.  3 small LEDs on each side of the bumper.  Probably 3/4" round.  I thought I found them on Amazon, but I can't find them in my order history.  They actually have a high-low, if you want to use them for running lights too, but I just used the high for my turn signals.
1964 FJ40 TBD