Author Topic: :)bestgen4runner's build page.  (Read 81268 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1208
  • Male Posts: 4,825
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
Re: :)bestgen4runner's build page.
« Reply #270 on: Feb 06, 2017, 02:27:22 PM »
LOL, its funny You mention the front locker, During My drive to work this Morning I thought of you and how the front locker was going to behave.
But, It's days like today that I envy your round and balanced front drive shaft.  :smack:
Stupid trailer Queen strikes again.  :outtahere:

My front driveshaft may be better than yours, but is not at good angles. It makes lots of noise.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

:)bestgen4runner [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2207
  • Male Posts: 1,505
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #271 on: Feb 06, 2017, 08:59:05 PM »
So today after work I took on the task of determining where My new Left front tire/wheel was leaking air.
I had found that over a period of two or three days it would loose around 10psi. All the others had checked out with no loss of any kind.   :shudder:
My worst Fear was the potential for the wheel itself as the cause of the leak. I had this experience once before, when I ordered a set of new wheels and tires. Defective wheel is a pain in the rear to have warrantied.
Soap and water sprayed over ever inch of the tire an low and behold this is what I found.
In picture #1 you can clearly see that the New valve stem is the cause of the leak. But why? New wheel and new valve stem. Mounted and balanced before delivery.
Picture #2 shows cheap Chinese Valve stem that I was able to push into the deflated wheel/tire with My finger. Yes, Really..... Top one it good quality part, bottom is the Chinese :pokinit: part.
You can see from comparing the replacement valve stem that it is much larger and required the tool shown in picture#3 to install it.
Well then I started thinking, OMG the other three have the same poor quality valve stems. So, I proceeded to break down all the others and replace each one.  Not Cool at all.........
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2017, 09:12:19 PM by :)bestgen4runner »
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #272 on: Feb 06, 2017, 09:41:50 PM »
While I had all four of my tires off for valve stem replacement. I decided it would be a good idea to check the tire balance.  :angel: After all I payed For the high speed balancing, LOL.
At first I thought there was no weights, but I located the tape weights after all. They painted the weights black, that is new. Never seen that before.
Fail again, Every single tire was off balance. After 14 miles apparently they all lost there balance.  :hammerhead:
Tire #1 5oz off #2 2.75oz off #3 4.75oz #4 2.25oz In My opinion, That's unacceptable.
I will be receiving a refund for the mounting and balancing from 4Wheelparts.  :slap:

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2017, 09:52:27 PM by :)bestgen4runner »
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #273 on: Feb 19, 2017, 10:14:16 PM »
 Updates
#1 I have checked the tires now twice with zero pressure loss.
So that issue is all fixed. No more leaking tire.
#2 I have about 200 miles on the new mt2s and I can't honestly remember ever being around a smoother and quiter mudder tire Ever. It's just incredible. So for street use they are getting an A+. Still no reports for offroad traction.
#3 I started my switch panel project. Now before anyone has a cow, know that it was not in perfect shape and they really are not that rare. Hardest part so far was the layout. I need ideas on what to make the face of the switch panel out of. Something easy to work with, non reflective, thin, and strong.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10192
  • Male Posts: 2,436
  • Member since Oct '14
« Reply #274 on: Feb 20, 2017, 04:59:49 AM »
You are actually putting them in the inclinometer itself? Most guys just use the rubber housing and put a piece of aluminum in it with cutouts for switches. You could sell the inclinometer without the housing for a couple hundred bucks...  :screwy:

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 931
  • Male Posts: 759
  • Member since Apr '11
« Reply #275 on: Feb 20, 2017, 09:05:36 AM »
 :o Glad you replaced all those valve stems!! Just FYI, your old valve stems aren't cheap by any means. They are high pressure valve stems made for high pressure trailers and full size trucks that require min of 65PSI and allow a max of 100PSI. This is why they don't have a large rubber outer ring because it would be impossible to push them into the wheel at the min required 65PSI, instead they have a full thick metal barrel for the high PSI.

The valves you replace them with are perfect for your application with a max rating of 65PSI, and you can drop them down to 0PSI and will always remain fully seated. Have you heard of the stubby rubber valve stems? It's what I prefer to run on anything that goes off road and would recommend them for you due to your wheels and where the valve stem is located. They are simply shorter and help eliminate the possibility of the valve getting caught on rocks, and will still bend if need be.

On another note, painting the weights black is a nice cosmetic touch, many people don't like the look of the grey weights through the wheel spokes. Your balance really was off by a lot, did you static balance or dynamic balance them?

This turned into a long post lol. Been following this build for a while, keep it up :beerchug:
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #276 on: Feb 20, 2017, 09:36:22 AM »
:o Glad you replaced all those valve stems!! Just FYI, your old valve stems aren't cheap by any means. They are high pressure valve stems made for high pressure trailers and full size trucks that require min of 65PSI and allow a max of 100PSI. This is why they don't have a large rubber outer ring because it would be impossible to push them into the wheel at the min required 65PSI, instead they have a full thick metal barrel for the high PSI.

The valves you replace them with are perfect for your application with a max rating of 65PSI, and you can drop them down to 0PSI and will always remain fully seated. Have you heard of the stubby rubber valve stems? It's what I prefer to run on anything that goes off road and would recommend them for you due to your wheels and where the valve stem is located. They are simply shorter and help eliminate the possibility of the valve getting caught on rocks, and will still bend if need be.

On another note, painting the weights black is a nice cosmetic touch, many people don't like the look of the grey weights through the wheel spokes. Your balance really was off by a lot, did you static balance or dynamic balance them?

This turned into a long post lol. Been following this build for a while, keep it up :beerchug:

Dynamic balance using the Machine at work.
Sounds like You have some tire store experience. Good info on the valve stems.

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 931
  • Male Posts: 759
  • Member since Apr '11
« Reply #277 on: Feb 20, 2017, 10:09:42 AM »
Yes lol back in the day I have 3 years experience as a tech for America's/Discount Tire.

Next time if you're up for it, I would recommend doing a static balance. You should be able to change the configurations on that balancing machine.
Static balance helps reduce up and down vibrations, which with any larger tire say 32" and bigger is mainly what the driver feels on the road at high speeds. Also with static you typically need less weight, and i would recommend using tape weight inside the barrel. Which is a lot safer with proper prep and less likely to fall off than tack weight hammered on the rim with a dynamic balance.

Dynamic balance is great for regular size tires on sedans and trucks fixing their side to side vibrations. But for bigger mud tires, it's typically static vibrations that annoys the driver. Also added bonus of static is it looks cleaner not seeing any weights hammered on the outside of the rim.

Just something to consider, best of luck!
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #278 on: Feb 20, 2017, 10:29:36 PM »
my new Auxiliary fan showed up. :thumbs: I chose the Mishimoto brand for quality and an exceptional warranty.
I was back and forth between the 11" or 12" version.
Well, Looks like I measured correct. 12" flavor fit, just barely.
Stole enough time away from what I should really be doing to get her mounted to the radiator and the temp probe installed as well.
Sprung for the matching Mishimoto fan controller also.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2017, 07:01:14 AM by :)bestgen4runner »

liveoak

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 115
  • Member since Mar '08
« Reply #279 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:03:56 AM »
  I need ideas on what to make the face of the switch panel out of. Something easy to work with, non reflective, thin, and strong.

You can use these thin abs sheets. One side is textured, one smooth. You can also heat form them if your surface isn't flat. Just search for "abs sheet"  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004UBUX5C/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487689011&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=12x12+abs+sheet&dpPl=1&dpID=513LtRNm1eL&ref=plSrch
my 3rz swap. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97722.0

Let me start off with a basket of chips

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #280 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:07:16 AM »
You can use these thin abs sheets. One side is textured, one smooth. You can also heat form them if your surface isn't flat. Just search for "abs sheet"  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004UBUX5C/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487689011&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=12x12+abs+sheet&dpPl=1&dpID=513LtRNm1eL&ref=plSrch
That's perfect, Thanks Lo.  :biggthumpup:

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 6152
  • Male Posts: 2,275
  • Member since May '15
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #281 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:13:23 AM »
Your kidding me right? An inclometer sells for $300? Holy crap I'm fixing to be buying some parts...
80 short bed, longs, hi steer, 4.7 case twin stick, 4.11, 38 tsl, mild built 22r
83 long bed, sas, hi steer, 3rz, w56, 4.56 33s
95 4runner project
06 4 door tacoma street truck

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 458
  • Male Posts: 3,424
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
« Reply #282 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:51:25 AM »
A while back I did the inclinometer switch plate thing.  I took the stock metal base and welded a steel plate to the front, that way it bolts down nice.  I set it up for those old rancho gauges for the adjustable shocks and a couple switches.  I will re-do it sometime for switches again and maybe an AF guage.  You will like it.
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.
Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gnarly4X

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2955
  • Male Posts: 2,599
  • Member since Jun '16
  • Marlin and I slid "The Sluice" Martinez Canyon
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #283 on: Feb 21, 2017, 08:02:12 AM »
A while back I did the inclinometer switch plate thing.  I took the stock metal base and welded a steel plate to the front, that way it bolts down nice.  I set it up for those old rancho gauges for the adjustable shocks and a couple switches.  I will re-do it sometime for switches again and maybe an AF guage.  You will like it.

An inclinometer.... ????   .... is that the instrument you are staring at as your vehicle is rolling over!! LOL!!

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2017, 08:08:26 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~15,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
« Reply #284 on: Feb 21, 2017, 08:20:05 AM »
The tip-over meter.
Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
« Reply #285 on: Feb 21, 2017, 11:21:24 AM »
Somebody needs to come up with a pucker factor gage (PFG) that measures the tension being pulled in the seat cushion.  You could then use that data, inclinometer, and experience level to determine the overall risk.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #286 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:16:26 PM »
Finished gutting and cutting the inclinometer.
You can see from the lens that it was not a perfect specimen that was sacrificed.
Verified switches will fit and allow for proper wiring clearance.
Sketched a 6 switch panel to scale.
I'm now trying to decide if I cut my own panel or buy a pre made panel and cut it to fit.
Overall I am happy with how it's turning out.

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1396
  • Male Posts: 149
  • Member since Jul '06
« Reply #287 on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:40:17 PM »
I like the meter switch thing, was thing about doing that with aftermarket gauges myself...  I'm sorta laughing at the electronic fan, only because when I mentioned wanting to do it you frowned upon it.  What changed your mind?

BigBluePile

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -147
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '13
  • Conquering the toughest malls.
    • YT
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #288 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:42:55 PM »
Cool!!!*

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

'86 4Runner SR5 TRD 5VZ-FE
...slightly modified from OEM...

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #289 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:57:05 PM »
I like the meter switch thing, was thing about doing that with aftermarket gauges myself...  I'm sorta laughing at the electronic fan, only because when I mentioned wanting to do it you frowned upon it.  What changed your mind?
The fan is being added as a auxiliary only.
I thought you had wanted electric fan only.
I am not a "fan" of that, Lol
That was for you Jon, I could not resist.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #290 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:11:56 PM »
Made some progress today.
I picked up a piece of Aluminum from the hardware store.
Decided to go with a thick piece of Aluminum then I will wrap it in a vinyl sticker. This way I can change its look easy.
Plus, both My sisters work for sign shops that give them access to unlimited design potential on vinyl.
Just need to cut the holes next time I get some free time.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #291 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:14:21 PM »
Here is my test fit and mockup before I cut the holes.
I am going to lower the switches just a touch.
Looks like they sit just a bit to high.
Maybe I will cover the aluminum with overlapping Marlin crawler stickers.
What do you guys think?

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
« Reply #292 on: Feb 24, 2017, 05:34:18 AM »
Here is my test fit and mockup before I cut the holes.
I am going to lower the switches just a touch.
Looks like they sit just a bit to high.
Maybe I will cover the aluminum with overlapping Marlin crawler stickers.
What do you guys think?

Stickers would look ghetto.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1944
  • Male Posts: 2,587
  • Member since Feb '05
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #293 on: Feb 24, 2017, 05:55:16 AM »
They look too high to me also.
Time to go wheelin!

OVRAROK

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 21164
  • Male Posts: 2,514
  • Member since Dec '10
    • my build
« Reply #294 on: Feb 24, 2017, 07:08:30 AM »
Machine swirls, like the old trans am dash. Then a black transparent paint over it
even the most primitive society has an intimate respect for the insane

H8PVMNT

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
« Reply #295 on: Feb 24, 2017, 07:22:15 AM »
I would use some satin black or some carefully sprayed bed-liner type product.
Steve McQueen

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
« Reply #296 on: Feb 25, 2017, 01:52:12 PM »
Finally!!!!!
Trailer day has come.
$4295 for trailer
$150 for correct trailer spare tire and wheel.
$100 for moveable spare tire holder
-$150 refused to pay the Transaction and paperwork fee.
Total out the door $4926
It's so beefy, box tube frame.
Tow capacity of 11,400
I could not be happier!
I'm going to continue this thread as I upgrade and modify the trailer.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 6152
  • Male Posts: 2,275
  • Member since May '15
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #297 on: Feb 25, 2017, 07:07:42 PM »
Very nice bumper pull! Not knocking your decision in anyway but holy cow that's gooseneck money! :yikes:
80 short bed, longs, hi steer, 4.7 case twin stick, 4.11, 38 tsl, mild built 22r
83 long bed, sas, hi steer, 3rz, w56, 4.56 33s
95 4runner project
06 4 door tacoma street truck

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1396
  • Male Posts: 149
  • Member since Jul '06
« Reply #298 on: Feb 26, 2017, 06:55:05 AM »
He's an old man now, he can't goose neck it with the canopy on😅

Rockcrawlintoy