Author Topic: Opinions on Hobart plasma cutter.  (Read 2325 times)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Opinions on Hobart plasma cutter.
« on: May 04, 2016, 11:52:42 AM »
Considering picking up the Hobart AirForce 12ci w/built in compressor, anyone use this cutter yet, or have opinions on Hobart plasma cutters in general.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on Hobart plasma cutter.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2017, 12:24:18 PM »
I have one, or maybe an earlier version of that one.  It has been pretty good over the years. I have had it a long time. They aren't good for really thick work.  Maybe efficient to 1/8" and you can do 1/4" but it's a job for it.  Any thicker is a joke.

They are really great for coping tube and working with sheet metal. Also nice for cutting stuff off your frame. The consumables aren't so cheap.  You end up spending enough that I'm not sure it's any more economical just to use the old standby tools with blades and abrasives.

When they are the right tool for the job they are so right though.

Mine is not working right no but I think the ground is messed up.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2017, 12:39:31 PM »
I had borrowed one from a friend to do a SAS and then the garage caught fire. the plasma cutter still worked after the fire and still works to this day as far as I know. as h8pvmnt said it does not like over 1/8-3/16 really but it is really nice to have the built in compressor and be 110v.

you really wont find a good cut on thicker than 3/16 on 110v in any machine though so I would go for it if it fits your application.

Snowtoy [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2017, 03:53:13 PM »
Guess I should have updated this post, went ahead and picked one up a few weeks later from "Blain's Farm and Fleet", to go with the Hobart 235mvp I picked a couple of weeks earlier..  Due to the savings between the two, the plasma cutter was almost 1/2 price.:greengrin:

Having now used it for a yr, I am happy with it, once I got the hang of it that is.  One of the uses I find myself using it the most for is for drilling holes, i.e. no more stepping up in drill bits, just punch a hole and clean up with the size bit needed for the bolt.:clap:

I have one, or maybe an earlier version of that one.  It has been pretty good over the years. I have had it a long time. They aren't good for really thick work.  Maybe efficient to 1/8" and you can do 1/4" but it's a job for it.  Any thicker is a joke.

Pretty much my experience, 1/8" material with ease, slow going with 1/4" but doable, then again it is only a 110vlt unit.

They are really great for coping tube and working with sheet metal. Also nice for cutting stuff off your frame. The consumables aren't so cheap.  You end up spending enough that I'm not sure it's any more economical just to use the old standby tools with blades and abrasives.

Definitely great for coping round tube and compound cuts in square tube.  The tips due cost more than cut-off wheels, but unlike cut-off wheels, you don't run out when your in the middle of cutting something, and trip to town is an hour or more of your day is lost.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod