Author Topic: BigMike's Big Journey: A 2016 Tacoma Build Thread  (Read 561637 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Got my signature updated, but like my Facebook profile, I prefer to not frequently change identifiable or avatar pictures and have been waiting for the right photo to update my avatar here. I knew that 37s and Dual Cases wasn't where I wanted the truck which is why I've been holding out. Won't be too much longer :gap:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
"580:1 Club" sounds pretty slick though

:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Good guess. We have a spray bottle of soapy water we use to keep parts cool while welding and somewhere during the process the bottle was laying sideways on my floor mat (outside the truck on the ground) and spilled water on it.
:thumbs:

Woah!! Awesome man!! What are your plans with the new engine??

it's the .060 over block with fresh bearings and rings after being stripped bare and checked out by the machine shop.  when I was putting the head back together I noticed the old .460 cam was starting to flake on one of the lobes so after some time I finally got a new one.  still a "stage 2" and still .460 lift but a little difference in the lobe timing.
Luckily these engines will stand up to 9* temp with nothing but water in them   :yikes:
popped 3 freeze plugs though.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
I have to get to sleep, I am trying to get things updated. Still have a few more things to share that I've done to the truck during April. I might not be able to post updates again until late Tuesday night from a hotel room or worst case mid-May.

I'm leaving very soon for the Toyota Jamboree so if you're going to be there then please say Hi if you see me! Texas here I come!!
Good night from the capital of Rock Crawling!

Regards,
BigMike

Be safe driving east :driving:  I sure wish I could be there but even if the truck was ready not sure my heart would be :down:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

pcyc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Apr '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Great read! Looking forward to wheeling with the big dawgs
IG: snicklephritz87

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
holy crap mike! the envelope has been blown wide open. You have done what your dad did back in the 90s. creating history Mike, in a great way! LOVE IT!

Hmmmm, i wonder if there is a way for you to partner with a toyota dealership close by to create some dealer-marlin equipped Tacomas.... just a thought?! the future is looking bright.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile

Hmmmm, i wonder if there is a way for you to partner with a toyota dealership close by to create some dealer-marlin equipped Tacomas.... just a thought?! the future is looking bright.

:soapbox:
He needs to start to think outside of his rock crawling box.   There are hundreds if not thousands of customers out there that are already using Tacomas, FJ'S and 4Runners for overlanding. A crawler box, and a stronger IFS would be just that ticket.

If you say the system is going to cost 3 to 4 grand and don't think people would buy it.......Sorry mike that is peanuts in the overlanding world. A Trailer is over 8 grand and a roof/trailer top tent is three grand or more. Overland rig deal with Sand, Mud, Rock Crawling, Snow, and thousands of miles of isolated trails, paths, cut lines and open dessert that can take days if not weeks to cross.   All the while over loaded on built up suspension,  and pulling trailers on articulated hitches.  Any extra strength you can put into you truck is a God sent. My truck will carry over 2000lbs of dirt in the box and only squats four inches when the loader dumps it in.  I carry just over 300 lbs in sand bags in the winter "JUST"  for traction. Plus all my recovery gear in the back.

Sorry hi-jacked the thread... :smack:

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,336
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
  :soapbox:
He needs to start to think outside of his rock crawling box.   There are hundreds if not thousands of customers out there that are already using Tacomas, FJ'S and 4Runners for overlanding. A crawler box, and a stronger IFS would be just that ticket.

If you say the system is going to cost 3 to 4 grand and don't think people would buy it.......Sorry mike that is peanuts in the overlanding world. A Trailer is over 8 grand and a roof/trailer top tent is three grand or more. Overland rig deal with Sand, Mud, Rock Crawling, Snow, and thousands of miles of isolated trails, paths, cut lines and open dessert that can take days if not weeks to cross.   All the while over loaded on built up suspension,  and pulling trailers on articulated hitches.  Any extra strength you can put into you truck is a God sent. My truck will carry over 2000lbs of dirt in the box and only squats four inches when the loader dumps it in.  I carry just over 300 lbs in sand bags in the winter "JUST"  for traction. Plus all my recovery gear in the back.

Sorry hi-jacked the thread... :smack:

I thought overlanders went to local trails and took pics for instagram and talked about how remote they went
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
I thought overlanders went to local trails and took pics for instagram and talked about how remote they went

:maddest:   :yupyup: you are thinking about the twirpers that take a picture of them laying on a sand pile and tell us how great the beach was today..  or guys that rockcrawl up there buddy's tire at the mall.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
:maddest:   :yupyup: you are thinking about the twirpers that take a picture of them laying on a sand pile and tell us how great the beach was today..  or guys that rockcrawl up there buddy's tire at the mall.

No I think he hit the nail right on the head with his definition of "overlanders".

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
No I think he hit the nail right on the head with his definition of "overlanders".

Well if you would like to come out to my "Local" trail, just let me know when you want to go.  By the way.. it's about a 950 mile trip with no fuel stops along the way. :disturbed:  I'll take you up the east side of James Bay to the Bottom of Hudson Bay, and then across to with in 50 miles of the labrador Border. Then we turn around and drive all the way back. You break down and parts have to be flown in to the nearest air strip. It is a four to six hour flight by Bush plane to the nearest medical centre.  :yesnod:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 05:03:24 PM by V-Man »

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
No thanks. I'll stick to rocks and real obstacles. Driving dirt roads for 950 miles each way isn't my bag. Its funny because you immediately started talking about how remote your runs are just like Drew said you all do.  :yupyup:

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
No thanks. I'll stick to rocks and real obstacles. Driving dirt roads for 950 miles each way isn't my bag. Its funny because you immediately started talking about how remote your runs are just like Drew said you all do. 

Don't look like dirt roads to me.
https://flic.kr/p/24bLisS

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
No thanks. I'll stick to rocks and real obstacles. Driving dirt roads for 950 miles each way isn't my bag. Its funny because you immediately started talking about how remote your runs are just like Drew said you all do. 

Don't look like dirt roads to me.
https://flic.kr/p/24bLisS

You need glasses.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
No thanks. I'll stick to rocks and real obstacles. Driving dirt roads for 950 miles each way isn't my bag. Its funny because you immediately started talking about how remote your runs are just like Drew said you all do.  :yupyup:

The challenge in overlanding is often the remoteness of it all. It is a real factor, but like you not my cup of tea.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
You need glasses.

That Grey area is rock. Part of the Canadian Shield.

We go for the hunting and fishing.....yes we like the remoteness too
.  No buttholes in a KOA campground  asking if my camp/utility knife is to fight off bears.   You follow topo maps or Tracks from previous trips, or tracks from other people.  Deer, bear, grouse, Duck, geese, trout, char, pike, walleye, squirrel and moose.  Fresh meat is a 22 round or a shotshell away

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
....yes we like the remoteness too...

Hey V-Man,

I think Big Mike’s Toy would be a great overlanding vehicle.

The cool thing about off-roading is the incredible range of experiences, variety, and pleasure.  This is just my experience.

I started off-roading in 1977.  I stopped in June 2004 when I totaled my 1985 Standard Cab.  I have 4-wheeled in CA, AZ, NM, UT, and Sonora Mexico and been on just about every terrain and many of the popular trails.

Active rock crawling as a 4-wheeling hobby requires a degree of irrational insanity.  I’ve seen too many times a guy gets the bug, he trashes his nice relatively stock 4-wheeler.  Then within a year or two he has spent 1000’s of dollars and 100s of hours to modify and upgrade his vehicle to be able to climb and negotiate a more and more insanely difficult obstacle.  One day he lays it over, rolls it, or if lucky rips up a piece of it that he gets to fix.  The total destruction of what was a really nice 4-wheeler is complete.  The adrenalin rush, thrills, and ego-pumping excitement ends…. Or not.  Then it’s resurrection time. The guy builds, has built, or buys a buggy… that will be another level of insanity, money and time.

If he hasn’t already bought a tow vehicle and a trailer, now he spends 10s of thousands of dollars on two other vehicles.  He rationalized going into debt or cashing in his 401k to buy them.  Yes, there is always a frugal path during this evolution, and some people have money to burn,  but you get my point.

In my early days living in AZ I spent lots of time exploring remote areas in my Toyota truck. Standing in places that very few people can even get to, seeing the simple beauty of unadulterated nature, floral & fauna, wild life, witnessing the amazing ancient relics of previous civilizations, and fascinating geological formations of Mother Earth.  For me, it is THE most rewarding and best part of my 4-wheeling experiences. I can flash back to exploring Death Valley, Anza Borrego, and the cross-county Mexico trips.

Overlanding would be a blast.  I wouldn’t have to cash in my 401K to do it. Thrashing and bashing would be replaced with cruising and snoozing.  I would leave only the absolute minimum carbon footprint, and I would not be killing any animals.

Gnarls.  That’s just my opinion – it may be worthless.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:03:56 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
That Grey area is rock. Part of the Canadian Shield.

We go for the hunting and fishing.....yes we like the remoteness too
.  No buttholes in a KOA campground  asking if my camp/utility knife is to fight off bears.   You follow topo maps or Tracks from previous trips, or tracks from other people.  Deer, bear, grouse, Duck, geese, trout, char, pike, walleye, squirrel and moose.  Fresh meat is a 22 round or a shotshell away

thats a nice bumper :thumbs:

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
thats a nice bumper :thumbs:

Yes and I think we all have seen your "New Orleans Balcony " too.  :thumbs:

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Hey V-Man,
I think Big Mike’s Toy would be a great overlanding vehicle.
Overlanding would be a blast.  I wouldn’t have to cash in my 401K to do it. Thrashing and bashing would be replaced with cruising and snoozing.  I would leave only the absolute minimum carbon footprint, and I would not be killing any animals.

Gnarls.  That’s just my opinion – it may be worthless.

He may want to drop the tires size to at least 35's. Just so he can get replacements if he needs them.  My Tacoma, the 4runner and both trailers use the same rims and tires with the 6 X 5.5 bolt pattern.  We still carry six( "6") spare tires, 160 US Gallons(605 Liters) of fuel, 40 gallons( 88 liters) of drinkable water plus filters to refill the water cans.  So I am thinking he's going to want a trailer.  I don't know if he had/has the tow package but he would need it. I don't think he would use the triple cases too often, but having one with a 4.7 would be very handy. His stronger then stock IFS would be great, and why I am drooling over it.

As for you thinking Overlanding would be a blast, why don't you Join Karen and me on a trip next year? We have two Vehicles,  room for eight( maybe nine or ten).  It is a three week tour of some of the back roads and trails from Ottawa, over to Thunder Bay. With some mapping work between Long Lac and Terrance Bay.  All you need to bring is a tent for cool/colder weather and matching clothes.  A few bucks in the pot for gas, food, and beer( you won't need much CANADIAN BEER  :beerchug:)

You want to come along with or with out the other half your welcome.  Also don't forget the fishing rod..  :thumbs:

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
You want to come along...

Hi V-Man,

I sent you a PM.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
90'4runner......lots of goodies.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
I don't have 4 hours to watch those.................

:headshake:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Demonstration video of my 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport with a Marlin Crawler Triple Ultimate 28:1 8-speed transfer case setup totaling 56 different speeds (48-forward, 8-reverse) and a 580:1 final drive Crawl Ratio.

Benefits of the Marlin Crawler TacoBox:
  • Increased Traction
  • Increased Torque
  • Increased Control
  • Increased Reaction Time
  • Less Bouncing
  • Less Breakage
  • Less Trail Abuse
  • Less Risk

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
I wrote a FAQ to help address any questions. Please feel free to ask something not mentioned and I'll get it added :thumbs:

How can a truck go so slow without dragging its brakes, and how can it possibly climb a rock taller than itself without any throttle or even a driver?
It has a Marlin Crawler TacoBox.

What is a Marlin Crawler TacoBox?
A Marlin Crawler TacoBox is our dual case setup for automatic or manual transmission 2.7-liter, 3.4-liter, 3.5-liter, 4.0-liter, and 4.7-liter Toyota 4WD drivetrains for T100, Tacoma, 4Runner, Tundra, FJ Cruiser, Sequoia, and GX470.

Side note: The name TacoBox is derived from "Tacoma" plus "Crawl Box" (our nickname for our classic 1979-1995 dual case setup). Its name was inspired by the Tacoma because it was first used in a Tacoma, July of 2000, when Marlin Crawler became the first to Dual Case a Tacoma. It fits many non-Tacoma drivetrains (listed above) and we've been installing Dual Case setups into 1995 and newer Toyota trucks ever since!

Required modifications
The TacoBox measures approx. 8.5" in length and is inserted between your existing transmission and transfer case. Because the transfer case is moved reward 8.5-inches, the front drive line is lengthened 8.5" and rear shortened 8.5". On applications with a two piece rear drive shaft, only the front piece of the rear two-piece drive shaft is shortened and the factory carrier bearing remains in it's original position. To operate the TacoBox, an additional shift lever is installed into the interior. This is the only aspect which is not "bolt-in" as some custom work is required along with a new boot from your local upholstery shop. Shifters can be positioned within about a half foot radius to the TacoBox to decide to sacrifice a cup holder, or coin tray slot, or plastic bezel, and so on. Here is a gallery of examples on various vehicles https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/transfercase/marlin-crawler-interior-shifter-picture-archive

What about crossmember modifications?
Cross-member modification is only required for trucks with a solid / live front axle. The majority of TacoBox-compatible trucks do not need to worry about this. Even on 100% stock trucks, the TacoBox may be installed without any crossmember mods and while using the original factory crossmember without any issues. (In fact this is how I ran my first TacoBox setup and ran Moab once, Rubicon twice.) The TacoBox does, however, have a provision for an extra crossmember mount which the installer may chose to utilize which will extend the life of both the original crossmember mount and both engine mounts. It will also provide more drivetrain rigidity for improved power transfer both under drive and coast conditions.

Does it alter the way the vehicle operates, computer interference, gas mileage, daily driveable?
When the TacoBox is not needed, it is shifted into HIGH which is a 1:1 ratio. Torque enters and exits at the same rate. Other than an extra 45 pounds, the truck has no clue the TacoBox exists. You can daily drive the truck both city and highway like normal. Fuel mileage is unaffected (<1%). You can shift your stock t/case into LOW and be just like any other truck on the trail, having the same final drive ratio as factory. Toyota's "Crawl Control" gimmick will function like normal. ABS functions like normal. Brakes function like normal. Throttle response functions like normal. And so on.

But, if you encounter an obstacle on the trail that requires more control, more traction, more finesse, and more safety, you simply shift the TacoBox into LOW and your off-road capability become a reality at the flip of a lever.

Does anyone need to be as slow as my truck in the above video?
No, this amount of reduction is too slow and is not practical for everyday trail use. We believe the "Ultimate" Rock Crawling ratio for automatics is around 180:1 (stock is 36:1) and for manuals is around 250:1 (stock is 44:1). These ratios are achievable with the Dual Ultimate TacoBox (equipped with our 4.70:1 gear set) which is also known as a "TacoBox Supreme". Therefore, my Tacoma in 1st gear is more than twice as slow as anyone would ever need to be for even the most demanding off-road scenarios.

If it's unnecessary, then why do I have Triples?
Like Marlin, I installed a third reduction unit for a number of good reasons applicable to me:
1) I can demonstrate all available Marlin Crawler product ratios including the factory gear-drive ratio used in right-hand front axle setups,
2) I can fully demonstrate the raw power of what it means to truly "Rock Crawl" as originally intended by Marlin when he invented the hobby/sport of Rock Crawling 24 years ago (see our History page for details: https://www.marlincrawler.com/about), and
3) Beings I'm Marlin's offspring, it's the law of the universe that I run triples in all my trucks :D

What is the speed of BigMike's Tacoma as shown idling in 1st gear?
Approximately 0.11 MPH or 9.1 HPM (That's Hours per Mile).

Cost?
To more than double the off road capability of your Tacoma, taking your stock 36:1 automatic Tacoma to a 82:1 ratio (or 100:1 for a stock 3rd gen manual Taco or similar), it is around $1,800 for our standard 2.28:1 TacoBox Dual Case Setup depending on application.
To more than quadruple the off road capability of your Tacoma, taking your stock 36:1 automatic Tacoma to a 170:1 ratio (or 208:1 for a stock 3rd gen manual Taco or similar), it is around $2,200 for our 4.70:1 TacoBox Supreme / Ultimate Dual Case Setup depending on application.
Additional costs are having your local drive line shop modify and re-balance your drivelines (approx $200-$250), a custom shifter boot made (optional), soder to lengthen t/case shift solenoid wires (if applicable), and some gear oil. Done.

Which route do most customers go with?
Ninety-nine percent of our TacoBox customers choose the TacoBox Supreme. The 2.28:1 TacoBox is very rarely requested and we don't even list it on our website. The reasoning is as follows: The standard TacoBox ratio of 2.28:1 is, practically speaking, nearly identical to your 1995+ truck's stock t/case gearing of 2.57:1. Putting either case into low range would yield no net difference in use on the trail. Therefore, in order to "Crawl", you'd have to have both cases shifted into low range at all times, and that would be it, your maximum reduction of 5.86:1 (compound low at 2.28 * 2.57).

On the other hand, with the 4.70:1 ratio of our TacoBox Supreme, you have three very distinct t/case ratios: 2.57:1 (TacoBox in HIGH + T/Case in LOW), 4.70:1 (TacoBox in LOW + T/Case in HIGH), and 12.08:1 (TacoBox in LOW + T/Case in LOW, aka the "Ultimate"). Moreover, shifting only just the TacoBox into low range, you're nearly already twice as slow as stock with only the use of one shift lever. Then when you approach an obstacle that demands maximum traction and control, you still have the combination of engaging stock t/case low range at any time for a super-low compound t/case ratio. For a price difference of only ~$400, it is easy to see why if you're going to go Duals then why not go for the Ultimate setup.

How did I come up with more than 6,000 lb-ft of torque from an idle?
While I have not worked out hand calculations yet, I am certain the amount of torque (moment of inertia) present in a 45-50 lb flywheel/clutch assembly rotating at 600 RPM (my idle speed) is more than 10 lb-ft of force. I bet it's closer to 25, especially when you include the ECU metering air and fuel to maintain idle speed under a load. If we consider the conservative 10 lb-ft figure, then not including small percent losses, we have 10 lb-ft * 580 = 5,800 RPM......at an idle. The upper range (a range I feels is more accurate but would rather not state until proven on a dyno [something I am working on]), would be 25 lb-ft * 580 = 14,500 lb-ft torque. Fifteen-thousand pounds of torque...quietly...idling. Whatever it is I will bet my pink slip that it's higher than 6,000 lb-ft of torque at an idle without any throttle input.

So even with only an estimation of 10 lb-ft of engine torque, a value a child could easily exceed while arm wrestling, and we've already got nearly six-thousand pounds of force. This is the raw power of the Marlin Crawler and given this immense degree of control is why we do not experience bouncing, breaking, trail damage, roll overs, or risk to our selves, or our cargo, or our vehicle when the Marlin Crawler is engaged.

With all this torque why do parts not break?
It is true that if you were to cement all four tires to the ground, engage double-low range, and put the pedal to the metal with your eyes closed then something will definitely blow up.

But precisely because we have so much added control from the TacoBox, we have nearly 5 X more reaction time to listen to the truck, feel the engine slowly load up, hear the suspension begin to settle, and feel the vibrations in the seat from the slow rate change of RPM to finally think to yourself...
"Hmmmm...... Something doesn't seem right.... Hmmmm.... Maybe I will chose to stop. Hmmmm..... I should probably take a look at what's going on. Hmmmmmm...... Ok I will stop now."
...and then you shift into Park, turn the truck off, get out, and then realize that your rear tire was trying to climb out from an undercut rock, something so impossible that had you not had a TacoBox, you surely would have broken an axle the second time you tried whacking the skinny pedal.

It is this extreme degree of control that in fact prevents us from breaking parts. Considering how much time you have to avoid destruction, you literally have to desire to break an axle when the Marlin Crawler is engaged. In fact my 1981 has been Triple Case'd (511:1) since 2004 and I have never broken an axle even with bias-ply 37" Pitbull ROCKER tires because I have the ability to listen to the truck's feedback and safely come to a stop before any failure occurs.

It's the same when discussing potential roll overs. Because we can now go so slow, you can feel the lean of the truck and have time to mentally assess each situation and simply chose to stop the vehicle before any permanent damage is done. Compared to revving the engine to generate necessary torque to turn the tires resulting in as we all know a lot of bouncing, once you start bouncing, gravity and suspension rebound take over and either cause parts to break or your truck to uncontrollably bounce off course. Don't do this. Get a TacoBox to protect and preserve your ride no matter what the trail throws your way!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:17:13 PM by BigMike »

Rok Monky

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Required modifications
The TacoBox measures approx. 8.5" in length and is inserted between your existing transmission and transfer case. Because the transfer case is moved reward 8.5-inches, the front drive line is lengthened 8.5" and rear shortened 8.5". On applications with a two piece rear drive shaft, only the front piece of the rear two-piece drive shaft is shortened and the factory carrier bearing remains in it's original position. To operate the TacoBox, an additional shift lever is installed into the interior. This is the only aspect which is not "bolt-in" as some custom work is required along with a new boot from your local upholstery shop. Shifters can be positioned within about a half foot radius to the TacoBox to decide to sacrifice a cup holder, or coin tray slot, or plastic bezel, and so on. Here is a gallery of examples on various vehicles https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/transfercase/marlin-crawler-interior-shifter-picture-archive

Is it necessary/recommended to add a cross member for the additional length and to support the taco box?

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Is it necessary/recommended to add a cross member for the additional length and to support the taco box?

Yes you really should add another cross member.  Not only will it help support the extra weight and take the strain off the factory mounts, but you now have a anchor point/support member to extended your skid plate. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:19:24 AM by V-Man »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Thank you Rok Monky for the great question! I've added it to the FAQ as follows:

What about crossmember modifications?
Cross-member modification is only required for trucks with a solid / live front axle. The majority of TacoBox-compatible trucks do not need to worry about this. Even on 100% stock trucks, the TacoBox may be installed without any crossmember mods and while using the original factory crossmember without any issues. (In fact this is how I ran my first TacoBox setup and ran Moab once, Rubicon twice.) The TacoBox does, however, have a provision for an extra crossmember mount which the installer may chose to utilize which will extend the life of both the original crossmember mount and both engine mounts. It will also provide more drivetrain rigidity for improved power transfer both under drive and coast conditions.

I do not like the factory crossmember and do not like any aftermarket skid plates because neither are designed for maximum ground clearance desirable for a Rock Crawler. I plan to design my own Rock Crawling-specific Tacoma crossmember. Until then I have not focused too much on additional drive train support.

When I had a Dual setup (single TacoBox), because I had the silly exhaust cross-over pipe directly beneath the TacoBox, I did not install a second mount because I didn't want to modify my exhaust until I had Triple cases in.

Now with the Triple Case setup (Marlin Crawler TacoBox + our traditional Marlin Crawler MC08 Unit), I have rerouted my exhaust cross-over (to behind the transfer case) and actually could fit two additional mounts for a total of three cross-member mounts. But because I am not ready to design my own crossmember yet, I decided to do a very basic modification to the factory crossmember and add one more mount under there.

I just went out to the truck and took these updated pics of what my temporary "Dual Case" crossmember looks like. Hopefully sometime next year I'll get all of this updated and will gain I'm guessing around 4-inches of ground clearance.

This is optional and I agree with V-Man that it is recommended :thumbs: After all the extra mounting point of the TacoBox is available so why not use it...

The mount I fitted is the largest, strongest factory Toyota mount of the Hilux era that we sell here: https://www.marlincrawler.com/armor/crossmember/crossmember-mount-oem

The Road Runner is our new brand known as Locktup 4x4 and Fabrication: https://locktupfabrication.com/