Author Topic: BigMike's Big Journey: A 2016 Tacoma Build Thread  (Read 561510 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Also get'n some love from Facebook!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Ok guys here is the #1 biggest thing I've noticed since on 40s:

Bros in full size vehicles have began treating me like CRAP. I am serious. I get lifted full size Fords, Chevys, and Rams flooring it just to block me at freeway on-ramps, intentionally trying to out accelerate me at green lights, coal rollers spooling their turbos even when the next intersection is a red light, braking hard and cutting me off, turning their radio up when they roll next to me, changing lanes at the last second right before a red light intersection just so that I am behind them, and so on.

Yet always when I look over directly at them, they never make eye contact with me. These lifted chrome pavement pounders never did this to me when I was on 37s.

And trust me, it's not my driving: (1) I respect that this is a lifted Rock Crawler doubling as a daily driver so I drive extra defensively, (2) I've got horrible steering/handling at the moment so I couldn't drive aggressive if someone paid me, and (3) my Supercharged 6-speed MR2 is the vehicle I use to get my thrills on the pavement---certainly not a 4WD truck.

Moreover, I'm building this Tacoma under the brand that literally invented the sport of Rock Crawling so in my mind I represent the Rock Crawling industry as a whole which doesn't have any place for my ego at some random street corner: I save that for the trail!! The last thing I need is a photo going viral of me mall crawling up lamp posts (seen people get tickets for this), or rolling the truck doing doughnuts in a McDonalds parking lot (seen this happen), or being pulled over by the police for speeding. I've always accepted the responsibility and never do something stupid in a truck used for marketing and research purposes. (My point is, for example: Try to find a picture of me and my 1981 Triple Cased Hilux driving in meadows and using trees as RTI ramps. Being respectful on and off road is a day in & day out natural responsibility for everyone at Marlin Crawler.)

But man oh man, American truck owners sure seem to dislike whatever it is my Tacoma represents. It's true; I haven't had any of the experiences with lifted Tundras or Titans. They don't seem to mind!

Finally, check this out and sorry in advance for the foul language: One day after doing some shopping I get home to find this...

No clue who did it or where it occurred. Fortunately it came off with my fingers. It was a type of dry erase marker. I immediately thought about one of my favorite Alux videos about Haters. Two quotes popped into my mind:
-- "One indicator that you're on the path to success and doing something right are the haters."
and
-- "Being hated is better than being ignored, because that means whatever you're doing isn't worth noticing."
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2018, 06:35:30 PM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Lastly, a bit on fuel mileage and RCV's new boots.

Corrected my speedometer using Hypertech Module P/N 730123
I didn't document or take pictures of this, but I tried and tried and tried to get a Dakota Digital SGI-5E to work and I finally gave up. I don't think it's compatible with the CAN Bus network we have. So I painstakingly went with the expensive Hypertech 730123 in-line speedometer calibrator which works great. The software is a bit clunky but no worries as you only need to use it once to configure it and then done. I don't have any pictures of this or even what date it was that I installed it. It was sometime in March.

Fuel Mileage
But now that I have corrected my speedometer (iPhone GPS verified), I can now share my Fuel Mileage with 40s :D Of course at this time I've only been doing 60 MPH on the freeway for a month straight, but good news I've been getting over 18 MPG! So here is a pro tip: If you want better gas mileage just slow down! hahaha

With 40" tires at 60 MPH in 6th gear, engine RPM is about 1,800. (That's almost 500 RPM less than stock!!)

RCV's updated boots
Well guys. All the hype with the new, smaller profile RCV "version 2" boots was for naught. With only around 500 street miles and staying under the speed limit on highways they have died!! :'(

So I've requested new boots and have an idea that might help which is to scrunch the replacement boot as close to the CV as I can before banding it to the axle. I also have plans later this summer that will help a lil with CV boot angles, but more on that later.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2018, 06:39:49 PM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
April 8, 2018: The Beginning of a Three Week Cram

Fast forward to April 8 and with only Three Weeks remaining until I was to drive the Tacoma 3,500 miles round trip to this year's Toyota Jamboree near Gilmer Texas, I had little precious time to get a lot accomplished!!

Back on the rack ready for the final push to begin!

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
No she is thinking you better put an elevator on it for her.

yota_2128

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Jan '13
  • 82 Longbed
    • View Profile
The stock Tacoma batteries are terrible, I think it's just the trucks that came with the tow package. Idk if the higher alternator output makes them die quicker or what. I'm on my 3rd battery on my 16 and my roommate is on his 4th on his 14. Luckily Toyota is nice about warranting them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Mike if you think it's bad there. Try driving a Yoda up here.
About a month ago, I found some teens with dad's F150, Chevy1500 and  a Dodge 3500 dually buried to the frames just off the back of a warehouse parking lot. Cost them $2000 for me to winch them all off the grass and on to the pavement.  As I was leaving with the cash, I was sure to tell the guys with the trucks that I would have got them all out for free, if their buddy with the civic had not told me I should take my fudge packed sausage sucking self and my piece of poop truck and fornicate off when I first drove up. The girls confirmed my story and I left so I would not have to give statements to the cops about his getting beat.  I am sure he got beat.

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
The stock Tacoma batteries are terrible, I think it's just the trucks that came with the tow package. Idk if the higher alternator output makes them die quicker or what. I'm on my 3rd battery on my 16 and my roommate is on his 4th on his 14. Luckily Toyota is nice about warranting them.

Two years....Same battery that came with the truck. It also sits for 2 to 3 weeks well I am on the road. Through two Canadian winters so far.

yota_2128

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Jan '13
  • 82 Longbed
    • View Profile
Two years....Same battery that came with the truck. It also sits for 2 to 3 weeks well I am on the road. Through two Canadian winters so far.
Weird, mine has gone out in the middle of the 2 winter's I've had it. We're in Colorado so I wouldn't even compare our winter's.

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Weird, mine has gone out in the middle of the 2 winter's I've had it. We're in Colorado so I wouldn't even compare our winter's.

Most batteries don't die...they are murdered.  Wife's 4runner has only had two new batteries in 14 years.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
I know it's just marker, but it still makes me say "Wow". You guys have some serious pricks over there. I legitimatly cannot think of a time when i touched a stranger's vehicle besides to close their gas door or put my contact info under the windshield of a Toyota.

Never ever have i touched someone's vehicle with malice.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
I know it's just marker, but it still makes me say "Wow". You guys have some serious pricks over there. I legitimatly cannot think of a time when i touched a stranger's vehicle besides to close their gas door or put my contact info under the windshield of a Toyota.

Never ever have i touched someone's vehicle with malice.

Probably someone that drives a Prius.  :screwy: or one of those other eviromental whack jobs..

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Probably someone that drives a Prius.  :screwy: or one of those other eviromental whack jobs..

On a V6 toyota? Doesn't seem likely IMO. No one has done that to his 81 hilux
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
On a V6 toyota? Doesn't seem likely IMO. No one has done that to his 81 hilux
It's got big tires so it must burn hundreds of gallons of gas a mile :dunno:.

People should just ride the bus,  then we would not have to burn any more oil. :-\. Yup that is the way they think.

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have had a couple of bros in bro trucks do similar things when I am driving my 83 mini truck. I think they are upset that my mini truck is rolling on bigger tires. :stopit:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

cbielat

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 86
  • Member since Mar '18
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Lastly, a bit on fuel mileage and RCV's new boots.

Corrected my speedometer using Hypertech Module P/N 730123
I didn't document or take pictures of this, but I tried and tried and tried to get a Dakota Digital SGI-5E to work and I finally gave up. I don't think it's compatible with the CAN Bus network we have. So I painstakingly went with the expensive Hypertech 730123 in-line speedometer calibrator which works great. The software is a bit clunky but no worries as you only need to use it once to configure it and then done. I don't have any pictures of this or even what date it was that I installed it. It was sometime in March.

Fuel Mileage

But now that I have corrected my speedometer (iPhone GPS verified), I can now share my Fuel Mileage with 40s :D Of course at this time I've only been doing 60 MPH on the freeway for a month straight, but good news I've been getting over 18 MPG! So here is a pro tip: If you want better gas mileage just slow down! hahaha

With 40" tires at 60 MPH in 6th gear, engine RPM is about 1,800. (That's almost 500 RPM less than stock!!)

RCV's updated boots
Well guys. All the hype with the new, smaller profile RCV "version 2" boots was for naught. With only around 500 street miles and staying under the speed limit on highways they have died!! :'(

So I've requested new boots and have an idea that might help which is to scrunch the replacement boot as close to the CV as I can before banding it to the axle. I also have plans later this summer that will help a lil with CV boot angles, but more on that later.

I run these axles and had just recently replaced my outer boot two days ago from the original boot design.  I thought they had sent me the wrong boots but they said they had redesigned them.  So, now looking at this post, I'm not feeling so good about the new boots.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Would A much larger diameter boot work better in this case maybe?  Instead of the many small ribs it might be better to transition from the large end to the small end over the entire length of the boot with a couple of large rib.  I may be completely misunderstanding the issue and what I'm seeing but I marked up the picture for what I'm thinking.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I think it has something to do with the CV angle??
Time to go wheelin!

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 569
  • Male Posts: 1,554
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Yeah. This is an example of Ifs being a pain in the ass to work with and a maintenance nightmare.
If you see it, its for sale.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Does that joint go in and out (along with the angle) or is it the other one?

As the outer boot, it also has to contend with steering angle changes................
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Regarding the boots, the angle that I've been taking pictures of is at max droop. So normal ride height isn't as bad. A few guys at our shop pointed out a possible solution that I am in the middle of testing to maybe provide feedback for RCV. I'll quickly mention it below when some images come up soon.

Ah! Great idea! I keep forgetting that my truck should still have some sort of warranty! I still have the old battery and will see about getting it warrantied in May.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
"The Final Spring Push"

Ok guys and gals,

From this point forward I had multiple projects that had to be completed by the end of the month and spent every evening working late on the truck. I was bouncing between projects as parts would come in and following my normal chronological post format would even give me a headache. So I will group projects together and use date ranges where needed

April 8-18, 2018: NITRO's new 5.29:1 Ring and Pinions!!

Nitro's Front 8.0" Differential Product Page for 2nd/3rd gen Tacoma -- Nitro's Rear 8.75" Differential Product Page for 3rd gen Tacoma

On April 8 we yanked out both front and rear diffs because....!!

NITRO finally pulled through with making a new 8.75" 5.29:1 prototype Ring and Pinion for us 3rd gen owners and sent me a set to test out!!

H-U-G-E Thank you to NITRO for not giving up on us Manual Transmission 3rd gen owners -- A truck that actually does need 5.29s!!

Just to recap:
* Autos come with 3.91:1 R&P. So 4.88:1 makes for a 24.8% reduction. That is great!
* Manuals come with 4.30:1 R&P. So a 4.88:1 is only a 13.5% reduction. This is not great. Finally having 5.29s means I'll have a 23% reduction over the stock R&P which is much needed for any manual 3rd gen running 37s or larger tires.

This was a ten day span to install both front and rear NITRO 5.29s but only because we had to wait for parts from ARB (I told them I was not in a hurry).

Rear diff pulled

Take a look at my out-going 4.88:1 Nitro Gears. The wear contact is awesome. This is why we always say that Nitro gears set-up better than any other. They are amazing and we strongly recommend them to Tacoma owners!

Opening up the front diff again, hopefully for the last time!

What I really like about the 2005 and newer Tacoma front IFS differential is that it uses the same gear set as the 80-series Land Cruiser High Pinion Reverse Rotation front differential, which is, of course, entirely BADASS. We have trusted Land Cruiser High Pinion gears in the front of live axle Hilux Pickups and 4Runners with tire sizes larger than 40" for nearly two decades. Yes the Tacoma is heavier, yes the Tacoma is more powerful, yes the gears are vulnerable in reverse, but I love it.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Next is a project I know everyone would like to see finished so here comes the conclusion to the first prototype MarRack!

April 8-21, 2018: First MarRack Prototype finally finished!

I don't know how everyone manages build pictures on their computers, but I use a directory structure that includes year, month, day, description, and all-in-all I have 23 directories of steering work dating back to October. It is the longest project I've worked on so far for the Tacoma. At this point there were only two steps remaining to properly test out the MarRack: (1) Custom Tie Rod setup, and (2) Restore proper steering geometry.

(1) Custom Tie Rod setup

For this project there could be none other than paying a huge tribute to the world's first Heavy Duty Rock Crawling Steering Upgrade and that would be the Marlin Crawler Marlink!

History comes full-circle with the Marlink, now powering what I believe will be the first-ever H.D. Rock Crawling Steering Upgrade for the late model Toyota IFS!

The Marlink is made from 1.25" DOM and uses 23mm Japanese-made tie rod ends. Here is an example of how the Marlin Crawler Marlink has been used on live axle trucks since 1994 (drag link and tie rod):

Here is my out-going tie rod assembly with 2" extension piece (top) and prototype work of the new Marlink-equipped MarRack tie rod, what I'm calling the Mini Marlink. The tie rod end is our same Japanese-made 23mm Marlink TRE (factory Tacoma is only 15mm!!!), however, I plan to run this TRE only until late summer.

We'll likely market this similar to, "The smallest Marlink we've ever made is now part of the strongest IFS steering system" :D

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
April 8-21, 2018: First MarRack Prototype finally finished! (continued)

(2) Restore proper steering geometry

First, for anyone wondering, I'd like to specify why this is needed. Because the MarRack is larger than the Tacoma rack, we cannot simply "make it fit" and connect tie rods. We have to ('A') maintain the original tie rod length, and ('B') maintain the original tie rod horizontal angle. If either are ignored, the result will be an unwanted progressive rate of toe angle change with suspension movement. This was how I had been driving the truck since March 2nd and it was horrible. (I did so because I needed to get miles on the MarRack to ensure things were stable, no leaks, etc.) Any bump in the road that only affected one side of my IFS would instantly cause the truck to pull one way or the other. I even took different roads to get home just to avoid certain corners and dips. So for the MarRack to be a success, obviously I need to get the geometry worked out.

This was the most time consuming aspect. I made a ton of CAD drawings and 3D printed parts. During a 6 or 7 night stretch I made improvement after improvement ultimately deciding not to do any production CNC work as it had become crystal clear that this prototype will only need to get me through a three or four month stretch.

What we came up with for my prototype was to use our Marlin Crawler forged steel High Steer pitman arm (we use this on live axle cross-over steering systems), flipped upside down and modified in a double-support arrangement against the factory forged steel spindle steering arm. I told our machinist to stop on everything and after making multiple jigs I had the geometry figured out to a 2-degree of toe change through-out the range of suspension articulation. This was difficult to achieve due to reasons explained below but for now and without any computer aid I am very, very pleased with how my measurements turned out!!

Here is the precise location that is required for the limitations of the first prototype

Below is what it looks like as a whole

What we've got going on is that we must make a stronger and wider than stock component (the MarRack) fit within a space constrained by the brake rotors. Because we cannot maintain original tie rod length due to rotor interference (see above reference 'A'), one solution could be to move them forward. I chose this route for my first prototype, however, I will be using an incredibly unique approach on version 2.0 that I have yet to see any aftermarket company do that I believe will solve this problem entirely while maintaining original rotor size and location.

Don't be thrown off by comparing steering arm placement: Remember, the factory TRE mounted upside down. While my placement appears to be lower than stock, it's actually higher, and thus satisfies above reference 'B'. There is, however, a highly critical Rock Crawling design advantage that at this time does not make geometric sense. Minds will be blown once I get the next prototype built I promise you! :D

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile

Next was to hand em over to Rocky, our in-house fabricator and welder extraordinaire, to work some prototyping magic!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile

All done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's go!!!!!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
I had both spindles on, everything torqued, tires mounted, and was juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust about ready to drop the truck off the lift when luckily I was informed about a known issue of 2005 and newer Tacoma spindles cracking just above the hub body. I am very glad someone reached out to tell me this because I was about ready to call the project a wrap.

Obviously I had to act on this info so off everything came and Rocky whipped up some make shift gusseting that I have no doubt will get me through the summer, and then some

:smokin:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Mini Marlinks Painted and final installation pictures coming your way!

At full inward turning angle

and full outward turning angle

Couple sexy head-on pics

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
It's gonna take some time guys to get version 2.0 developed which will be what our production kit will be based on, but here's to a bright future for Rock Crawling the late model Toyota IFS system!

:beer:

The common failure point is in the center where both the bending stresses are the highest and the factory tie rod is the weakest. Not only have we greatly increased the size, but we're also covering more than half the distance with our very strong Mini Marlink -- which itself is only 1mm smaller than my freak'n RCV axle shafts for crying out loud!! This is incredibly great guys: I've increased strength of the weakest point by 2.4-times AND I've moved the weakest point away from the center where the stresses are the highest. COME AWN NOW!! :_order: We're also accomplishing all this without using a bolted heim at the inner joint, so there is no finicky tie rod installation/orientation issue and no fear of a bolt or nut shredding tie rod boots. :clap:

SERIOUSLY CAN'T WAIT TO TEST THIS PUPPY OUT!!!!