Author Topic: BigMike's Big Journey: A 2016 Tacoma Build Thread  (Read 561476 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
1/18: Nice lunch time pic...

...where I went to the far end of a parking lot just to park near another 3rd gen

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
That same day at a different parking lot I found another magnetic gray DCSB, this time able to park next to a 3rd gen for my first comparison shot on 40s

If Drew is on here then my TacoBox-equipped '16 says Hi :)

Annotated difference. That yellow tire approach angle :eyebrow: Whew lads

Forgot to mention I got our Marlin Crawler Hawse Fairlead fitted

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
1/23: Parked next to my friend's 1794 edition Tundra

Before you view these, know that my goal is not to have the tallest truck in town. In fact I'd like to lower the Tacoma nearly 2 inches. It will all depend on how much clearance work I can get done to the front inner fender walls...

Was still crazy to see the Tacoma nearly as large as a new Tundra. Dang.. the Taco is so massive :ack: Looks like I won't be calling my '81 Hilux a "Beast" any longer

Couple more. Massive ground clearance difference yet about the same overall height lol

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
wow.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I think the bumper looks fantastic and accomplishes exactly what you were going for.  The only thing that could be improved is possibly tightening up the bends on the top bar to better follow the body line.  There two triangle shaped voids that look a little out of place.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I thought the same thing at first. I'm sure they tried it. That is some tight off angle bends to make though. If you were ok with cutting and welding to make those sharp bends I can see it happening. One stick with no welds just won't make those bends.  I dig it just the way it is though.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I thought the same thing at first. I'm sure they tried it. That is some tight off angle bends to make though. If you were ok with cutting and welding to make those sharp bends I can see it happening. One stick with no welds just won't make those bends.  I dig it just the way it is though.

Yeah there is no way I could fit that in my die that tight.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Let's see em!

Hold on

..Flickr doesn't like me right now..

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile

I assume that you are correct. Maybe going up and then over would cover the gap a bit more?  I don’t have paint on my phone...

It looks great as is. Just giving an opinion since it’s a prototype.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 930
  • Male Posts: 761
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
WOW! Lovin' the progress being made on this!
Curious to see what you'll do with the front wheel wells.
Are you still DD'ing this? Seeing your rear tire i would imagine a little hassle from the cops? I was surprised how nicely the 37s tucked previously.
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here's my other thought for the line of the top tube.  It's so hard to form a solid opinion of a tube bumper from pictures as they look different from every angle.

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
The tube bumper looks great.   If I lived in a place like CA or AZ, NM it would be my first choice.   But up here a plate bumper is far better.  A solid sheet of steel from wheel to wheel and from grill to skid plate.  Frozen snow banks that the plow left at the end of my driveway shatter on contact. Breaking trail in four feet of snow and it just plows. 

A lady has already wrecked her car doors on it. :smack: Side swiped the bumper and destroyed her two passenger side doors. :yupyup:  Cost me $6.29 to fix the bumper......had to buy one can of flat black spray paint.  The powder coat held up real well, just wanted to seal it to be safe. :thumbs:

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
damn mike!!!!!! holy smokes
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Let's see em!

OK here are the pics.

20170728_185037 by MICHAEL DONCASTER, on Flickr

20170728_185210 by MICHAEL DONCASTER, on Flickr

20171022_110952 by MICHAEL DONCASTER, on Flickr

I park on the snow banks now :thumbs:
20180124_162258 by MICHAEL DONCASTER, on Flickr

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Just to compare..
Yes that is a 5 Gallon Jerry can beside the wheel...Truck and trailer both use the same tire and rim size right now.Makes carrying spares easy.

20171015_122819 by MICHAEL DONCASTER, on Flickr

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
My experience with front bumpers is different.

On my 1986 Long Bed, I had a Ramsey 8,000 and a Ramsey bumper.  I looked gnarly, but it was WAY too heavy for the IFS suspension. On the highway and wheeling, the added weight hanging on the front end was very noticeable.  Since I only used the winch twice in about 12 months, for winching another wheeler, I found it was not a benefit to have it mounted permanently.  If I were to buy another winch for a daily driver and part time wheeler, I would design and fabricate a dual receiver mount to make a quick disconnect.

The tube bumpers I’ve had on my trucks have been custom made, mainly for a tight snug fit.  They looked nice, but were not *really* functional when rock crawling.  Two reasons, 1 – they were too weak to really protect the front end for a heavy hit, and 2 – if I hit a rock with the front bumper I was on the wrong line, or the obstacle was too vertical and too high for my angle of approach.  If I am rock crawling and find my front bumper area is banging into rocks, I would move the front axle forward or go with some bigger tires.  I never had a problem with my Toy trucks.

In all my years of off-roading, I found that the lighter the better and tried to reduce and minimize weight whenever I could.

In the sand dunes with my 1985 22R short bed, just dropping the spare tire and removing the tailgate made a VERY noticeable difference.  At the cinders in Northern AZ, extra weight was a speed killer.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2018, 06:25:36 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
BigMike, updates?!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Sorry guys, I've been quite busy this spring as usual. I've spent my free time getting our Trip Reports updated on both Facebook Albums and our Website Gallery. (I was previously more than 1 year behind on trip reports.) Now with those updated, I can update my Tacoma Trip Report Thread which is 8-months behind. So I've got some work to do still.

I was supposed to have already done four trips this year with the Tacoma: One in Canada, one in California, one in Arizona, and one in Texas. I've missed them all because I haven't gotten the Tacoma ready for the trails again yet.

Currently, both diffs are out again for new prototype 5.29:1 R&P gears from NITRO, as well as changing my final drive ratio to a cool 580:1.

I'm still waiting on a few machined parts to complete what I believe to be the strongest street-legal steering upgrade for the 2nd and 3rd gen Tacoma platform (hopefully also compatible with early FJ C and 4th gen 4R). To illustrate, my Tie Rod Ends have gone from their factory spec 15mm up to now 23mm (135% STRONGER!!!), the diameter of the inner tie rod where it commonly fails has gone from 13.97mm to 21.75mm (142% STRONGER!!!!!!!).....................guys that is over 2.4 times stronger than stock :sheerterror:, and my steering rack is now 49% heavier and massively stronger than stock :o

My steering has been upgraded so beyond a night and day difference that I need a new idiom to describe it. At this point I'd be willing to stress-test it through a trail with my 40s aired down to 1 PSI in 1st gear 4WD with the rear drive line removed. That is how confident I am about it. It won't break, which means other things will break, which is great because I'm continuing to push the IFS envelop further and further where it hasn't gone before. To this end, I am already anticipating the next failure and am well underway in developing additional components, especially now with a certain company no longer in business I have zero reservations holding me back.

I plan to test out multiple prototype parts in Hollister the last weekend of this month before driving the truck 3,400 miles round-trip to Texas the first week of May for the Toyota Jamboree. :thumbs:

It would be beneficial for me that I get this thread updated before I leave for Texas.

Regards,
BigMike

I guess I can't end without a few parting photos. Driving this truck around on 40s has been incredible! Looking forward to sharing some stories. I now have over 500 street and highway miles on the new steering setup :beerchug:

From March 23:

From March 24:

and from March 29:
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2018, 04:53:52 PM by BigMike »

Hilux_Max

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
Sorry guys, I've been quite busy this spring as usual. I've spent my free time getting our Trip Reports updated on both Facebook Albums and our Website Gallery. (I was previously more than 1 year behind on trip reports.) Now with those updated, I can update my Tacoma Trip Report Thread which is 8-months behind. So I've got some work to do still.

I was supposed to have already done four trips this year with the Tacoma: One in Canada, one in California, one in Arizona, and one in Texas. I've missed them all because I haven't gotten the Tacoma ready for the trails again yet.

Currently, both diffs are out again for new prototype 5.29:1 R&P gears from NITRO, as well as changing my final drive ratio to a cool 580:1.

I'm still waiting on a few machined parts to complete what I believe to be the strongest street-legal steering upgrade for the 2nd and 3rd gen Tacoma platform (hopefully also compatible with early FJ C and 4th gen 4R). To illustrate, my Tie Rod Ends have gone from their factory spec 14mm up to now 23mm (170% STRONGER!!!!!!!), the diameter of the inner tie rod where it commonly fails has gone from 13.97mm to 21.75mm (142% STRONGER!!!!!!!).....................guys that is over 2.4 times stronger than stock :sheerterror:, and my steering rack is now 49% heavier and massively stronger than stock :o

My steering has been upgraded so beyond a night and day difference that I need a new idiom to describe it. At this point I'd be willing to stress-test it through a trail with my 40s aired down to 1 PSI in 1st gear 4WD with the rear drive line removed. That is how confident I am about it. It won't break, which means other things will break, which is great because I'm continuing to push the IFS envelop further and further where it hasn't gone before. To this end, I am already anticipating the next failure and am well underway in developing additional components, especially now with a certain company no longer in business I have zero reservations holding me back.

I plan to test out multiple prototype parts in Hollister the last weekend of this month before driving the truck 3,400 miles round-trip to Texas the first week of May for the Toyota Jamboree. :thumbs:

It would be beneficial for me that I get this thread updated before I leave for Texas.

Regards,
BigMike

I guess I can't end without a few parting photos. Driving this truck around on 40s has been incredible! Looking forward to sharing some stories. I now have over 500 street and highway miles on the new steering setup :beerchug:

From March 23:

From March 24:

and from March 29:

Looking forward to thr steering rack torture test Mike. Will the trial components be available individually to rebuild/upgrade existing steering racks, or will you be selling complete built racks only?

Keep the good work up.

yota_2128

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Jan '13
  • 82 Longbed
    • View Profile
Wow, I can't wait to see this thing at the fj summit again this year. I was already drooling over it last year when it was on 37s. I'm incredibly happy someone is taking the time to build parts to make the newer generation trucks truly capable

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
unbelievable! Im about to get into a 2nd or 3rd gen, and knowing you're doing these testing and upgrades. excites me. im in awe everytime you post about this!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Wainiha

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 743
  • Male Posts: 1,170
  • Member since Jan '12
    • View Profile
Does this mean a short throw shifter will be developed? 
2000 3.4L xtra-cab Tacoma.
Icon C/Os
Marlin 1200lb. clutch
Marlin short shifter
FLOODED...GONE

2005 4.0L xtra-cab Tacoma
King Resi C/Os and Total Chaos UCAs
Waiting on Marlin for the RA60 Short throw shifter...Hint Hint
FLOODED...GONE

2012 4.0L xtra-cab 4x4 Tacoma
Automatic...Don't shoot...
 King resi C/O
and Total Chaos UCAs

^ Who let Wainiha into the mainland?? :yikes: - Big Mike

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
I think the bumper looks fantastic and accomplishes exactly what you were going for.  The only thing that could be improved is possibly tightening up the bends on the top bar to better follow the body line.  There two triangle shaped voids that look a little out of place.
Thanks for the comment BD. We did consider tightening that bend and also adding smaller diameter tubing to close it up, but as others mentioned the die (especially our larger than normal 2" die) couldn't possibly get tighter bends in there. I also considered adding flat plate.....but then I'd be departing from the tubular design I'm trying to pay homage to.

During the design process I did compare the gap to our classic 1st gen bumper, and while this is not as pronounced as it is on the Tacoma (specifically in the head-on view), gaps do exist even on our MC bumpers of yesteryear. I know this is a stretch comparison at best, but it helped me get over the void during the design stage.

unbelievable! Im about to get into a 2nd or 3rd gen, and knowing you're doing these testing and upgrades. excites me. im in awe everytime you post about this!
I'm incredibly happy someone is taking the time to build parts to make the newer generation trucks truly capable
Thank you THK Matt and yota_2128. You guys will be surprised in the number of private forum and FB message I've been receiving of people excited to see what's going to come out of this new IFS strength research and development. I am not even an IFS guy at heart but this has been a really enjoyable journey and hear me now, believe me later that this is only just the beginning of what I'm already working on. :greengrin:

In all my years of off-roading, I found that the lighter the better and tried to reduce and minimize weight whenever I could.
X2

Does this mean a short throw shifter will be developed? 
Sorry my Hawaiian friend, I know you've been waiting for this but I've got larger fish to fry on maximum heat at the moment, hopefully coming to fruition in the way of testing new prototypes at this year's Round Up.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
January 23, 2018 (continued): 40" tire tread wasn't big enough

That evening I got home to discover the following road gift:

Less than 150 miles on the new tires and my Driver's Rear got spiked

It was a slow leak: About 4 psi per day so nothing I couldn't manage driving around town with. A couple days later I removed it and patched the tire. Holy hell that was a serious impalement!!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
January 26, 2018: My IFS Steering Upgrade Officially Begins

A few days later the truck was back in the shop, this time for a complete IFS Steering System Overhaul!

I have been keeping a very tight lid on my steering upgrade project. By this time I already had four months of research into it and was ready to get measurements and start test fitting.

The next event was King Of The Hammers and my goal was to show up one weekend early to take a group of Tacomas through a few trails, ideally and specifically, Solid Axle Swapped Tacomas. It would be awesome to have my Marlin Crawler-powered IFS Tacoma tackle the same difficult Hammers trails alongside SAS'd Tacomas. I did manage to get four SAS'd Tacomas committed but ultimately had to cancel. There was no way I'd get the Steering upgraded in time to run these 40s off-road, least I forget I still have inner fender trimming to do.

I don't think I've discussed this yet and I'd like to bring up what I believe is that there is no 2005+ Tacoma IFS Rock Crawling steering solution available today.

Here is my reasoning for this:

1. In our experience and types of trails we wheel, a 35" tire is about the minimum you'd want to use to truly go Rock Crawling.

Yes, you can be a Rock Crawler with 33s, but for example, 33s is considered by most a small tire for use on trails such as the Hammers in southern California. Further, most Marlin Crawler-equipped solid front axle Pickups and 4Runners are running 35s & 37s on the Rubicon. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority is actually 37s.

2. If we can agree that 35" is a basic entry tire size for the serious Rock Crawler, then we have a problem in that it is already a known fact that the 2005+ factory IFS steering fails with 35" tires in the rocks.

I've already seen and experienced this first-hand. Custom inner tie rods (ITR) have been developed and even sold by at least one prominent company, however, kits are either discontinued or include disclaimers due to the fact that once the ITR is upgraded the factory steering rack fails, even with 35" tires. Surely the serious IFS Tacoma Rock Crawler shouldn't be expected to carry spare P/S Racks...

In fact, since January, I've had almost a dozen people contact me who have broke their own steering racks: Tacoma, 4Runner, and FJ C owners running 35" and 37" tires. It is a known issue that factory racks do not hold up in the rocks.

3. Therefore, we must conclude that the factory IFS steering should not be used for even the base-line of Rock Crawling.

More specifically it cannot be trusted. This is one of a few reasons to go SAS that I'll have to tackle if I'm to damper the status quo.

4. In conclusion, I must develop IFS steering strong enough (as I will find out through my own testing with 40" tires) for the serious Rock Crawler thereby creating the World's First Actual Rock Crawling-Specific Tacoma IFS solution on the market.

This is my goal with the project and I have been very busy over here getting this developed.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2018, 10:34:25 AM by BigMike »

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the comment BD. We did consider tightening that bend and also adding smaller diameter tubing to close it up, but as others mentioned the die (especially our larger than normal 2" die) couldn't possibly get tighter bends in there. I also considered adding flat plate.....but then I'd be departing from the tubular design I'm trying to pay homage to.

During the design process I did compare the gap to our classic 1st gen bumper, and while this is not as pronounced as it is on the Tacoma (specifically in the head-on view), gaps do exist even on our MC bumpers of yesteryear. I know this is a stretch comparison at best, but it helped me get over the void during the design stage.

As a general rule I am not a fan of tube bumpers, but with late model rigs the plate style bumpers are so large and bulky to cover everything I have not seen one that really looks good to me.  For example, the pictures posted earlier in this thread by V-man show a massive plate bumper that, to me, looks best suited for elk "hunting" (i.e. running them over on the highway) or a staring role in Mad Max. Your tube bumper is the best looking option that I've seen so far.  I like things to be covered up, but also lean and clean which is a hard combination with most of the new rigs.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
More specifically it cannot be trusted. This is one of a few reasons to go SAS that I'll have to tackle to change the status quo.

For this to have a real chance of changing the paradigm of potential customers it'll not only need to be proven to be a strong as the SAS solution, but will likely need to be a less invasive solution (i.e. more bolt-on), have a similar cost, and be able to rely on the rest of the IFS components to hold up similarly to an SAS.

I'm sure none of this is new to you and I wish you good luck with this project.  It's a significant challenge for sure!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Once again, breaking ground in the off-road community. Bravo Mike!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
To illustrate, my Tie Rod Ends have gone from their factory spec 14mm up to now 23mm (170% STRONGER!!!!!!!)

Apologies for this but I have a correction to make. In working on future replies to this thread, I realized I used the wrong number here: 14mm is the thread size from the Inner Tie Rod (ITR) to the Rack, not from the ITR to TRE.

For the ITR to TRE, the stock thread size is 15mm. The strength difference between a 15mm solid round component and the MarRack's 23mm is 135%. I have updated my previous reply to reflect this. :thumbs:

In other news, I took a boot off the MarRack last night and have a new metric: For the diameter of the actual internal rack itself, stock is 30.61mm and the MarRack is 37.95mm for a minimum actual Steering Rack strength increase of 54% :cool: ("Minimum" due to the MarRack pinion gear is larger, the overall body is larger, it's wider so there is more support on the rack at full steering lock in either direction, it's all one-piece aluminum, mounting hardware is larger, and so on.)