Author Topic: BigMike's Big Journey: A 2016 Tacoma Build Thread  (Read 561451 times)

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Karen says to say she hates you now... I think she is jealous about me getting so excited over the crawler box...and she is not happy at what it will cost...

You still taking used gear drive cases?

R.DesJardin

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 680
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • RADesigns Products LLC
This is what comes to mind when I hear the words "body lift" :ha_ha:

Yep, me too........Body Lift.  :rofl2:
Back in the 80's it was all the rage and I fell into it. It was a great way to destroy the body at its mounting locations. Can you say torn out? I wheeled the crap out of that truck and needed to patch the cab mounts so the body lift spacers didn't come through the floor.  :smack: No it wasn't a home made kit.

Back to cable shift. It was the bend radius of the cables and routing inside the cab the I found challenging. With the t-cases and trans tucked up into the tunnel there was just no room underneath.
R.DesJardin
"If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere!"

2RZ-A340F-Duals-locked FR/RR-IROK's

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
Mike, we'll keep a low C.O.G.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Mike, we'll keep a low C.O.G.
Bob!!! :wave: Yes, I will definitely be needing your help while I fit some larger round meatballs under the truck :yesnod:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
I don't know how I missed all these updates!   :smack:

But I love the progress and the direction you are going Mike.   :thumbs:  As for you thinking you missed the Tacoma bus long time ago, your business was going thru ALOT of changes then.  Geiger, failed merger, Dean, your schooling, and you just got your first 4x4.  There were some crazy years there, you guys stuck to your guns, and stayed true to the dual case adapters.  And now with you at the helm and Marlin in R&D, your future is wide open.  Alot of us have been there for you in more ways than one. 

As for the Tacoma, I am not a huge fan of them.  The Second Gen pickup is my absolute favorite body style.  But I do like that All-Pro has picked up that Long Travel and is running with it.  If I were to buy a Tacoma, I would love to have a 4 door, and go expedition style with the long travel front end.  Nothing too radical, something in the 35" tire range.  Perfect balance for a DD. 

As for your beloved First gen, I would love to fly down and drive it for you to a roundup for you.  You know, making a sacrifice for Marlin Crawler!   ;)

Keep us informed on the updates when you can my dear friend!  :biggthumpup:

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
As for you thinking you missed the Tacoma bus long time ago, your business was going thru ALOT of changes then.
Thank you very much for the kind, moving words Ryan. Now I need to step it up and not delay this opportunity any longer than I already have.

As for the Tacoma, I am not a huge fan of them.
I don't know man... This new 3rd gen is pretty dang sweeeeet :drool:

May 4, 2017: Fins & Things

Cruise Moab is the largest annual Toyota-based Moab event, gathering over 200 in attendance. We have attended off-and-on since it's inception 20 yrs ago. It is an official TLCA event that is incredibly well ran by the Rising Sun 4WD Club of Colorado. If you've been wanting to run trails at Moab with extremely friendly and knowledgeable group of Toyota gearheads, then this is the event to attend.

The event is typically the first week of May and runs from Tuesday through Sunday. Our usual participation includes officially leading a Thursday trail, setting up our booth for a vendor show that night, run another trail Friday followed by the main dinner/raffle that night.

Knowing we'd have the Tacoma without the air lockers connected, we registered for easy trails both days.

On Thursday we hosted a group through Fins & Things. It was my first time on this trail. For the Tacoma, it was a lot of fun! There were multiple lines I did not feel comfortable taking that Marlin took without any trouble. At one point I forgot I was in the Tacoma and while following behind The Crawler Truck I dropped off some huge ledge and drug the truck on pretty much everything possible including the plastic fuel tank :rofl:

Here we are having a driver's meeting outside City Market

Marlin talking to the crowd and handing out Marlin Crawler goodie bags which consisted of autographed Marlin Crawler Coffee Mugs, Marlin Crawler Coozie, Marlin Crawler Key Chain/Bottle Opener, and a Marlin Crawler sticker pack.

While looking at the list of rigs registered for our run I WAS VERY INTRIGUED regarding a 2016 AccessCab Tacoma ON 35" TIRES.

35" TIRES.

:o

First, obviously, I was upset that I've been sitting on this Tacoma for an entire year and I don't have 35s yet. NO EXCUSE. Second, I was wondering what suspension kit he was running and was very eager to see it!

After the driver's meeting I walked over and this is what I found. Whew. It is a stock TRD Off-Road with TRD exhaust and intake. Automatic.........of course. Very nice owner named Rich who has been a FJ40 Land Cruiser owner since the 60s and finally decided he wanted to buy a new truck and got a new white AccessCab 3rd gen. I gotta agree it was a nice choice :D

Here is most of the group entering the Sand Flats Recreation Area. It's gonna be an awesome day!

I took a bunch of photos that I'll be submitting to our official Marlin Crawler Trip Report Gallery, so from here out I'll just try to show only those pertaining to the thread

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
May 4, 2017: Fins & Things (continued)

While airing down a young man walked over and asked if I wouldn't mind him riding along. I said absolutely, I appreciate having a spotter! Now on 33s I aired down to 12 psi. Before I got beadlocks under my Hilux, I had 35" tires and around 7 psi it would begin burping air out the bead. Knowing the Tacoma is both heavier and has a smaller tire profile with 17" wheels, I figured I'd try 12 and see how it works from there.

The day has officially started!

This lil climb was fun because Marlin got into a wheelbase hole and struggled. It took him a while to finally get up it and then when I came along, beings I am a good twenty-inches longer, I walked right up this...

...and on the very first obstacle my very first time using the Marlin Crawler Dual Case TacoBox I performed my very first Walking The Crawler!

It was awesome. Sure, 235:1 is not as impressive as my Hilux's 511:1 nor anywhere nearly as impressive as The Crawler Truck's 1,148:1, it was still cool to see. I got out of the truck during the steep section but only have this pic from my mother....who for some reason has a weird hue filter enabled (sorry in advance for the strange color from her pics!)

My new co-pilot was especially amazed that a truck could do that at a complete idle without an operator. Went up it with ease + got out of the truck. Afterwards Marlin looked at me and said, "Gee thanks a lot!" haha

Oh man what a night and day difference having the Marlin Crawler installed!! This truck has 1,000% been transformed and the same with my confidence level -- I feel like I could go anywhere, traction limiting. The invincible feeling you get from the Marlin Crawler. Man oh man how long has it been since I've felt this way. This is so awesome to be building a new truck!!

After Walking My Crawler, I ran back down the hill to get some pics of my 3rd gen buddy. Here is a shot looking at the steep but short climb that my truck walked up on it's own

I walked over and asked Rich if he wouldn't mind me jumping in so I could experience Crawl Control. He said no prob and I hopped in.

Instantly I noticed this. WHAT IS THIS?!?!?!

THAT IS AMAZING!! I am assuming this is only offered on Off-Road models but I'd surely like to know if there is a way to get this for my truck. I also have a genuine Toyota clinometer in my Hilux and this would be great. (The only option I have for this tab is to show tire air pressure.)

He enabled Crawl Control and we proceeded to go.

My Opinion on Crawl Control

I am sorry but I have to call it out and state that it is a complete gimmick!! More than that it is highly annoying and the truck literally bucked forward and backwards in a highly uncomfortable manner. I get it okay, and I'm sure the first rebuttal will be "well at least it works". But I argue that it's only going to work for close to stock tire sizes and for only moderately steep climbs. I can NOT see such a system working with 35"+ tires fully loaded down and trying to get up trails say out at the Hammers. Surely the brake system will overheat long before you'd be able to finish even a couple difficult sections.

It is difficult to explain in words just how annoying Crawl Control is. I am highly looking forward to a full comparison of Toyota's Crawl Control with Marlin Crawler's TacoBox Dual Case setup. The TacoBox is so far and away better than the Crawl Control they shouldn't even be in the same sentence. It will be an entertaining video I'm sure.

Fins & Things has a few nice steep climbs. Moab slickrock traction combined with the Marlin Crawler meant that my Auto LSD was not used at all the entire day. I never got stuck and never had the LSD system kick in. The few times I lost forward progress were simply remedied by finessing the truck with the Marlin Crawler and letting the tires work and find traction. Honestly Moab is an amazing place to showcase just how much a difference the Marlin Crawler can make to my nearly stock truck.
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2017, 07:36:16 PM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile

Very happy I got rid of that fake hood scoop

Thanks to the Marlin Crawler, my engine compression braking has been amplified by a factor of nearly 5 so I never have to touch my brakes no matter how steep or how large the drop-off is. Just focus on driving and let the low gearing hold the truck back naturally and calmly.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile

Thank you Rob Meredith from Facebook for the following pic

First time Rock Crawling and the 2GR-FKS

Ok guys! By this time we were a couple hours into the trail and I had a firm opinion on the new 3.5-liter engine and Rock Crawling.

I am extremely pleased to report that this engine is the best, low-RPM lugging engine I've ever experienced. I can get the truck moving so slow and steady at approximately 250 RPM and it not only won't stall but it doesn't even shake -- it is entirely smooth at sub-400 RPM engine speeds for as long as needed. I was most impressed by this!! All I have to do is take a slightly steeper line and not give any gas and let the weight of the truck load the engine down for a continuous & steady low engine speed. This is the control I've been preaching about when you install a Marlin Crawler.

For comparison my Hilux's 2.7-liter 3RZ-FE can lug down to and sustain about 350-400 RPM before it gives up the ghost, but at this RPM it is shaking and rattling quite badly. The new 3.5 V6 is extremely impressive. A 6-cyl engine has a power stroke 30 fewer degrees of crankshaft rotation compared to a 4-cyl, but no doubt progress in modern engine's Noise Vibration Harshness (NVH) is really shining here with the 2GR.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Pics from Mrs Crawler's camera ....and her strange hue setting

The Tacoma following The Legend

I thought I would use this shot to mock-up a new windshield sticker. It should be finished any day now :D

First time ever wheel'n with All Terrains and I was impressed. They hook up very well here in Moab. I thought they were grabbing better than Marlin's IROKs, which are probably better suited for lose rocky terrain.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile

Stopping for lunch.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
I like the concerned girl looking up at my truck lol

Cool pic with Mr Crawler

With the front suspension loaded it seems the axle could have been designed forward a bit. No wonder 2nd and now 3rd gens have front tire to body mount interference

Got my very first low oil pressure warning light! Too cool!

And that was it for Fins & Things!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
May 4, 2017: Vendor Night

Back in camp while setting up for the Vendor show Marlin and I helped a FJ40 who was having alternator issues. This doesn't exactly count as a rescue but I was proud of my little baby boy Tacoma :)

Ready to setup and meet a ton of people!

It was so cool having my World's First Dual Case'd 3rd Gen Tacoma in our booth.

Feeling better and better for the future of this Tacoma!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
May 5, 2017: Flat Iron Mesa

Friday morning we ran Flat Iron Mesa. The event has a Trail Rating system that I forgot to mention. The prior day's trail, Fins & Things, is rated a 4 out of 10 and Flat Iron Mesa is rated a 5/10. Like the day before, I had never wheeled Flat Iron Mesa so I was eager to check it out. After gaining a lot of confidence from the TacoBox, I was eager for something more difficult.

Amazing weather, amazing turnout, gonna be another amazing day out wheel'n!

There is about a 20 min drive out of town for this trail. Here I am cruising on the highway with my nice 12 PSI tire warning lights on

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
The trail started out pretty mellow

Nice views here and there

After a while we finally got into some slickrock

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
May 5, 2017: Flat Iron Mesa (continued)

This was a tough line because you drop in from a sharp right turn. The reduced driver visibility of the Tacoma not helping here.

It was fate that brought these two AccessCabs together and fate both registered for the same two back-to-back trails :D

This was a nice little climb. I struggled at first but then found my footing by Crawling it very slowly in Dual low range.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
On this drop off I was super tempted to run it hard driver because I love how the Crawler holds the vehicle back without using the brakes.

But because I'm still open-open, if one tire on each axle is able to unload, then you can still slide forward despite the engine maintaining a steady idle in gear.

That factor combined with the fact the front bumper sticks out a mile concerned me enough to stay a bit passenger.

It ended up being a very basic drop-off.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile

This climb was pretty gnarly for open-open. I could have taken a simple dirt-road line to the far right but took the hard line up the middle.

I couldn't climb it without lockers so I shifted the T/Case in High Range and the TacoBox (Crawl Box) into Low to use our 4.7:1 T/Case ratio, and in 8th gear (2nd gear + single 4.70) I was able to get enough tire speed to trigger the Auto-LSD computer. This was the first time using the Auto-LSD. It did it's job, only had to bounce a few times and once I felt traction I let up in a smooth enough fashion to not lose forward momentum and was able to do the rest with just the single Marlin Crawler Crawl Box. Having lower than stock gearing seemed to help here.

This spot however was pretty nasty and I learned something I never knew before.

Because Auto-LSD worked well above, I decided to run the same gear here: 8th gear with my Marlin Crawler in Low and T/Case in 4-High. It was a struggle. I revved the crap out of the truck and was spinning the tires so much that I was literally getting white smoke from my tires. (Such a dumb system Toyota.) Our Trail Leader was spotting me and he asked what gear I was in.

Rear tire stuffs nicely.

According to our trail leader, whose 200-series Land Cruiser is equipped with ATRAC, the computer runs a more aggressive VVT-i programming in Low Range. (I am very curious to know if this is true for the Auto-LSD system.)

So I shifted out of the Marlin Crawler and put the T/C into Low Range and grabbed 11th gear (2nd gear + stock t/case). It still was not a pretty sight and at a higher final drive ratio I had more tire smoke and more bouncing. I probably should have given up but the Trail Leader was excited to see me make it and gave me the go ahead to keep trying

Whew! Finally made it! Sorry slickrock and sorry BFG tires. Man oh man this is so not my style of wheeling. I won't go out again without getting the ARBs plumbed in that's for dang sure.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Next there was an optional long steady, sort of a narrow v-grove climb that lead up to a steep and nasty ledge/waterfall. At the base of the waterfall there was a ditch-out route so I went up as high as I could and then bailed. A few people in our group tried the waterfall and only one guy made it. I'd love to return here next year and give it a go!

Here I am near the top of the v-grove section.

Here is a pic of Marlin in the Crawler Truck approaching the waterfall. Marlin couldn't get up it despite multiple attempts. I think his tires were over inflated for this sort of obstacle plus he carries by far more dead weight recovery equipment than anyone I know. I'll have to conquer it next year in the Taco for him ;)

Stopping for lunch

Nice day for some wheel'n!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile

At this point it was already close to 3pm and I had a mission that I was on and needed to get up to northern Utah for business. So a few of us took a fireroad back to the highway (including Marlin who needed to get back for the annual Raffle).

Man I jammed down that fire road. I almost hit redline in 6th gear stock low range a few times. When you open up this V6 and rev it out it's no joke; That sucka can move.

Here we are airing back up. I am using ARB's new Maximum twin-compressor which works "decently well". It isn't as good as a York and certainly not as good as a RV2 (which I've got mounted to my 3RZ in my Hilux). But for an electric compressor it did well for my lil 33" tires. (I'll be installing a similar setup with an under-the-bed aluminum air tank for on-board air + ARBs.)

Love that Moab red dust!

And that was it for me and Cruise Moab 2017!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
May 5, 2017: Road trip up to northern Utah

Back at camp loaded up and ready to take off

This truck is such a delight to drive on the open road

I hit 10K miles! I'd normally be very excited but... man an entire year passed and it hit me that after such a strong start I only put in 10K my first year. I got a lot of catching up to do :D

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
well that looks like fun. I don't think I'd make it the 500 miles in my truck, this truck generally keeps it to 500 miles a year.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
May 15, 2017: Rubicon Preparation I

After Cruise Moab it was time to get serious. Thinking of what I'd like to get done before Rubithon, which has been postponed to the 3rd weekend of July thanks to an excellent amount of snow this year, I decided to get the most time consuming item checked off the list first. :)

On the road again!

This time heading to a customer's house who is a good family friend of ours and incredibly gifted with auto body and paint. He has built some of the cleanest rigs I've ever seen and has a great attention to detail, something Marlin and subsequently myself pride ourselves on. I can do many things well mechanical but I'm not so good when it comes to body repair or finishing. I leave that to the professionals and this customer is certainly as professional as they come!

Finally arrived!

Hmmm that looks pretty good :D

Brendan

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
I like Mrs. Crawler's camera results.  It has the nostalgic 70s and 80s Polaroid and everyday person's 35mm camera look.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
May 18, 2017: Rubicon Preparation I: Bobbing the bed (continued)

The man I have doing the bob is also named Bob ;) and three days later Bob (and his son helping) got to work on bobbing the bed!

First step was to remove the bedsides. I think it's pretty neat how the bed is designed in this respect.

Most trim and misc parts removed from bed

Bob had to move the bed back to access front bolts

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
May 22, 2017: Rubicon Preparation I: Bobbing the bed (continued)

Because I'll immediately drive the truck home, I'll need my rear license plate. One option is to place it in the back window but beings I'll need to do some custom work to the rear bumper anyway, Bob had the good idea of just leaving the frame at it's original length with the rear bumper attached for the drive home. It'll surely look funny but that is a great idea. Now I'll be able to modify the frame on my own and also know what modifications will be needed with whatever aftermarket rear bumper I go with.

So a few days later Bob sent me these pics of how they will trim the bottom trailing edge of the SMC bed (sheet-molded composite) to clear the frame rails.

May 23, 2017: Rubicon Preparation I: Bobbing the bed (continued)

The next day they had the bed sides off

Very cool!

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
I don't know that ive seen a bobbed 2nd or 3rd gen taco yet.

How much is being taken out?
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
thats one this the body techs love at my shop, is being able to unbolt the body sides. its a very time saving convenience that more manufacturers should follow. that said, i'm very excited to keep seeing you modify and wheel the heck out of it.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

4RunnerKid

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 68
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Party in the USA
    • View Profile
    • The Party Wagon
awesome to see Bob and Russ helping with the build, excited to see how it turns out. they definitely know what they're doing and are two of the best guys i know :thumbs:

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Don't take this the wrong way, but if I have this right you bought a long bed version and now you are cutting the bed to make it a short bed version. Maybe  :headscratch: there is more to bobbing the bed then making it shorter :dunno:.

Anyways truck is looking nice.. My build thread will be up in a bit.. not as pic and mod heavy as yours but hey we are building for different uses. 

Posted a whole thread on a trailer with a 12 inch lift and didn't get a single post or even a view last time I looked. :-\