Author Topic: BigMike's Big Journey: A 2016 Tacoma Build Thread  (Read 561522 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
you gotta go to the Aztec ruins
See my comment on this plus other NM sites we missed @ reply #91, previous page.

So this was why we came north out of Phoenix instead of continuing west on I10: My wife and I have always wanted to visit Zion National Park!!

We've driven past it twice visiting the Grand Canyon and I've been past it a dozen times or so on wheel'n trips to Moab. Really happy to finally visit "Not Zion"!

We knew our time would be limited so we planned to tour the park to figure out what sort of camping and hiking we'd like to do, and then fully enjoy it on a return trip :thumbs:

The cost to enter is $30 and one awesome thing is that the National Parks Service is celebrating their 100th year and all admission was waved! We got in our first trip for free :cool:

Really nice rock formations here

I wanted to try driving up this rock slope so bad hahaha

A Taco for the hand!

Someday after a lot of work this truck will be able to do some Crawling. I'm not talking about that goofy Toyota "Crawl Control" limited-use over-heating gimmick. I'm talking REAL Crawling. Man... Marlin should have trademarked "Rock Crawling" and similar terms all of which he invented. At least some credit would have been nice Toyota.

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,896
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
nice its not sased yet
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Took the truck through it's first tunnel. I flipped the light switch to AUTO to test that out (previously had not been using it) and .....nothing. I had to manually flip the lights on. I've never driven an automobile with automatic lights. I thought, wow, what a pointless system. But after this point I began testing AUTO mode out and yes it works great. I think it just needed some time to get situated as I had just barely switched to AUTO before entering the tunnel. I also discovered that the awesome LED driving lights only turn on when in the AUTO position. Since this time I've left AUTO on and found settings under Customize > Vehicle > Lights to set it's sensitivity to minimum. Love'n it.

Once we came out the other end WOW the entire Zion valley opened up with very steep walls and a nice series of steep switchbacks down to the bottom. That tunnel must have been some serious engineering feat.

Due to the nature of all the switchbacks and how narrow the road was, I couldn't stop for any pics until we were nearly all the way down. The view looking back up was awesome

Looking towards the main area of Zion Nat. Park

Goldrush

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 145
  • Male Posts: 1,381
  • Member since Jan '10
  • wheelin!!
    • View Profile
truck looks nice Mike! i wanna come by and check it soon! Can't wait for all the mods!
-Zack- aka uncle Zack!                GOT MARLIN?

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Inside the park visitors are only allowed to drive west out of the tunnel and then south towards Springdale, Utah, or vice versa. The bulk of the National Park, or rather the main attractions are north up the canyon following the Virgin River from a point only accessible by park shuttles.

Consider the following map. The pink road towards the bottom is where visitors are allowed to drive (check out the switchbacks). The dotted section is the tunnel. The yellow road is the route the park shuttles travel.

The plan was to park near Canyon Junction and take a shuttle up to all the stops, but parking was crazy packed. I found a nice sidehill off-camber section with loose dirt to park on that was far enough off the road I didn't think I'd get a ticket. More about this later ;)

We took the shuttle up to the very far north stop for The Narrows and then did the 2 mile round trip Riverside hike.

Looking up the Virgin River along the Riverside Trail

Flash flood warnings were in effect and the Narrows were closed. It is ok as we did not have the gear nor the time to go through them. Great to know how the park works so when we return we won't waste any time learning the ropes.

Wow what a beautiful place. Entirely surrounded by vertical, steep canyon walls.

I realized how I am fortunate to live only 1-1/2 hours from Yosemite. I was thinking how some people here probably had never seen Yosemite before. I haven't done any hiking here yet, but things are much closer together and I do like it here better than Yosemite. Only difference is that Zion is faaaaaaaaar smaller than Yosemite. Only speculating but it seems one could experience most all Zion trails in one stay whereas this would be impossible in Yosemite.

Zion had some nice Rock Climbing opportunities. (I used to climb a lot and my former brother-in-law was a professional climber for Fiveten.)

We are both excited to return for an actual camping trip with the Tacoma of course!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
I liked the first pic out of the tunnel so much I had to do this :D

I found a nice sidehill off-camber section with loose dirt to park on that was far enough off the road I didn't think I'd get a ticket. More about this later ;)

No, I did not get a ticket ;) but I should have taken a picture of how much of a sidehill the truck was on because it ended up being a mess.

So we get back to the truck and some black Chevy family car had backed in and parked right in front of me. I couldn't back up any because there was a rock as high as the bumper behind me, so I had to peg the wheel hard left and try to drive out. Now I knew this wouldn't be possible as the truck was already sideways and a hard-left back onto the road required climbing up from the side of the shoulder. Sorry no photo but hope you can visualize it. I figured there wasn't enough space for anyone to park in front of me and we'd just drive straight while leveling out and back onto the road. As it turned out the Chevy car was half on the road just to park in front of me. Idiot.

So with the wheels turned full left, I slip the clutch in 1st gear and the rear immediately digs, slides to the right downhill about a foot, and sinks a bit. OK. Figured as much. Time for 4WD.

I rotate the dial to 4WD, wait for it to engage, and then push & rotate it to Low Range. Nothing. It just beeps and beeps and beeps at me. I've got it in neutral, what more does it want?? I'm wondering... well.... is it in? I didn't have this issue back in Texas when I was messing with 4WD in the parking lot.

So I try to slip the clutch and pull forward and immediately kill the engine. Fire it back up, low range still beeping at me, and I kill it again.

OK, obviously not in low range. Wife is wondering if we need to call a tow truck. I look at her like, seriously? Have you not gone four wheeling so many times with me in my Hilux? sheeesh.

I rotate the dial back to High Range and figure OK, guess I'll have to finesse the crap out of this in high range. Finally after work'n the clutch I'm able to pull forward under my own power and merge back onto the road.

Now I'm thinking, "Man... This electronic shifting is a real JOKE." It's as if I needed to rock the truck forward and rearward for the t/case to engage low range but the very thing I needed was low range; I couldn't rock it at all. With a physical shift handle you can feel how loaded the drive train is and work the torque loading on the drivetrain to engage low range without the truck even moving. With this Tacoma I'm at the mercy of some spring inside some electric motor housing.

Additional Info:
It wasn't until I was back in Fresno while trying to engage Low Range again when I had the same issue, and Tim aka TURBO suggested I try engaging the clutch and whatta ya know it went straight in and out and in and out no problem :rofl: :rofl2: I suppose I could have read the owners manual :ha_ha: So all that clutch abuse for nothing. At least I figured it out. I guess back in Texas I must have had the clutch engaged for no reason right at the moment I engaged low range. :P

Finally out of Zion, stopped for some delicious Mexican food in Springdale.

Finally here we are checking into our hotel in south Las Vegas. Ohhh man almost back to California and things are starting to look normal to me again :P

I love these LED parking lights. Looks so cool.

The hotel offered us VIP parking and I was like, "Hell No! Ummm, sorry, I mean, no, no thank you, I'll handle it myself :D"

Day Five is in the books!
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2016, 05:09:18 PM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
truck looks nice Mike! i wanna come by and check it soon! Can't wait for all the mods!
Hey Zach! Swing by our shop sometime and I'll take ya out for a ride :driving:

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
that much closer to chop chop chop chop time!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
our suburban has to roll a few feet before the front diff will engage.  Its got nothing on old Bruiser. AND I'll be starting the reassembly of the old girl this week. then hopefully I can stay healthy for the summer.  I SO want to make it to the Southern Cruiser crawl :driving:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Mike, your a funny man!!   :rofl2:   When you say 2nd gen, I will always refer to my truck!  The original 2nd Gen!! 

Mike your making me jealous!  I always love taking a road every summer.  Even if its the same destination most of the time.  This year, will be the first in may years that we won't be planning a trip anywhere.  Too much stuff going on this summer, and finances are tight.  One day, the wife and I will do a across the country trip.  I want to see all the National Parks, the Al-Can Highway to Alaska, and who knows what else.  I would love to do it in a Toyota set up for expedition style traveling.  If I were to have a Tacoma, I would definitely go with a long travel IFS that Jon sells.  Best of both worlds. 

My mom & step dad did Glacier, Yellowstone/Grand Tetons, Bryce, Zion, and Grand Canyon in one trip.  She said she preferred Bryce over Zion. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Ok let's get this first road trip finished up!

Sunday, April 24, 2016: Las Vegas, NV to Fresno, CA

Only had about a 6 hr drive to get home. Starting to feel relieved finally.

Got breakfast at an amazing Crepe restaurant the wife located in south Vegas, and on our way back out to the truck I found an awesome fellow 3rd gen owner parked near our truck. It was extra special because this is the Blue I really like that started this journey for me. :thumbsup:

I'm really in love with this truck

Time for another...

The curious things... Part IV
  • I am happy I can lock the driver's door when both the passenger's door is open and the key is in the ignition. (If I try this with our Yaris it will get mad and unlock all five doors.)
  • Nice touch: There is a rubber pad that protects the inside plastic panel from the passenger's front seat belt buckle rattling around while not in use. There is also one for the driver's side front seat belt which is nice in case the truck is towed or otherwise moved for long distances without a driver.
  • I realized I never got a Valet Key. Should I have? I finally looked through all the paperwork and booklets in the glovebox and only found a trailer plug adapter. Does the TRD Sport with full Tech Package not come with one?
  • I finally decided to try the AUTO A/C function and you can NOT change the vent MODE meaning you cannot alter which vents the A/C blows through. Why this? For example, if I have mid-level + feet enabled and I am enjoying manual A/C and then hit AUTO, it will change the vents to mid-level vents only. Then if I hit MODE to go back to how I had it as mid-level + feet it will deactivate AUTO. This is really dumb.
  • At least one nice thing about AUTO is that I can manually cycle the A/C itself off or on without the truck deactivating AUTO. This I like because I often manually cycle the A/C, such as for passing or climbing hills, and I'm glad I won't also have to re-enable AUTO.
  • Discovered it not only has a tilt wheel but also a TELESCOPIC wheel! Too cool! (Thank you redneckcustoms13 for asking about this on page two.)

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/pts/5548664752.html

White hood!
Ooooof that's a lot of money. I'll be making a direct trade for free for sure :thumbs:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
So I'm continuing down I15 when I see not only a 3rd gen Tacoma coming up behind me in the fast lane but a White TRD Sport model!! WOOHOO! I'm thinking, "Come awwwwwn Access Cab!" But it was a Double Cab. Nonetheless I immediately looked over with a thumbs up sign when the truck passed me and the DRIVER DID THE SAME! Woooohooooooo! Love it! It took over 2,000 miles but I FINALLY found another happy, excited Tacoma owner! That was so much fun, here is his Tacoma:

Welcome to Baker, California. One of the warmest Cities in the country and also home to the largest Thermometer in the World! haha Silly and I'm sure few care about this place but I stopped for some pics anyway :P

The cities motto of "Gateway to Death Valley" says it all

As we approached "The Original Windy City" of Tehachapi, we had headwinds of 23 MPH and it peaked at 25 MPH. Zapped the fuel mileage.

I slowed down to 60 MPH and somehow managed over 21 MPG with the crazy headwind.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Rolling into Fresno via Clovis Avenue for the first time. Ahhhhhhh man home sweeeeeeeeeet home!

At right is famous Simonian Farms

Finally. Made it to my parent's house to pick up my cat :D

Two thousand five hundred miles. Whew.

And at last, parked outside our garage.

Made it home safe and sound. The perfect ending to a new epic beginning. I cannot wait to get started with this truck. I'll be busy showcasing the truck at three events before I can start working on it, with the main push being to be Rubicon-ready for TLCA's annual Rubithon event June 24th (http://rubithon.com). Not sure if this will happen but it's Goal #1 for sure!

Thank you for watching and I've got a lot more to come!

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:38:12 PM by BigMike »

TacoTue

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
It's interesting you did not receive the valet key, i have the push to start and i got a spare set and a valet key! Well the dealer described it as a valet key, found out it's the tailgate key. So happy that you're as thrilled about your new taco as I am. I absolutely love my TRD 4x4 Sport. I'm anxiously awaiting your build, it will be nice to see a trail rig built vice the lifted city trucks I've seen.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
I think we need a picture of said cat! That truck does look sweet, the auto light function is hard to get used to but it is nice not having to worry if you left you lights on.

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
Aww man, I thought you were going to go on to Cruise Moab and really break this thing in.

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Rolling into Fresno via Clovis Avenue for the first time. Ahhhhhhh man home sweeeeeeeeeet home!

At right is famous Simonian Farms

Regards,
BigMike

I have always wanted to check that place out.  Just never had.  I love the old equipment they have.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

camhays556

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 498
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
Hey Bigmike, I met you at the Bakersfield landcruiser rally (I had the white tacoma on 35s) thanks for showing me your new rig. It was great to finally meet you and Marlin, good luck with the new tacoma project :beerchug:

Hilux_Max

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
G'day Mike,

Congratulations on the purchase of the 2016 Tacoma. I am looking forward to how it progresses....what do you have in plan for it?

I too just purchased a 2016 Hilux 4x4 that I hope to start a new build project on shortly, having come from a 2007 Hilux 4x4 that Marlin & Wyatt graciously helped installl a CrawlBox into. 

Original thread that Wyatt posting on the installation of the Dual Cases - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=67634.0

The 2016 Tacoma & Hilux's have some similarities so I will be paying close attention to what you guys manage to develop for them.

This is what I have ordered for August 2016  delivery - 2.8 Diesel 6 speed auto:

And this is what I came from:

Video of her performing below with the dual Marlin cases:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAretu_pfzI&feature=player_embedded

Hilux_Max

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile

This perception of Marlin Crawler is going to change real quick once I get this truck.

Looking forward to this  :thumbs: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
I think we need a picture of said cat!
:wave:

It's interesting you did not receive the valet key, i have the push to start and i got a spare set and a valet key!
I did receive a second key but it appears to be identical to the main key. Same with our Yaris. We received two identical keys both with door lock/unlock buttons. No valet key with either new vehicle.

Hey Bigmike, I met you at the Bakersfield landcruiser rally (I had the white tacoma on 35s) thanks for showing me your new rig. It was great to finally meet you and Marlin, good luck with the new tacoma project :beerchug:
Hey Cameron, yes I remember! You were parked on the other side of the parking lot behind and to the west of our booth :wave: Thanks for posting

G'day Mike
Hello Max! Yes of course I know about you; I helped Marlin over the phone with the coupler issue :wave: Awesome man ya got a new Hilux!! Also Congrats!! Wish we had Diesel options here. Wikipedia says that turbocharged 2.8 1GD-FTV 4 banger is rated at 330 lb-ft as early as 1,400 RPM!! :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: Ugggggggggggg So frustrating Toyota. We can't get any breaks over here.

Question: Is the 70-series LC being discontinued or could you have picked up a 2016 model?

Also, where is your '07? Did you sell it?!

I have always wanted to check that place out.  Just never had.  I love the old equipment they have.
Don't come all the way here just to visit it, but if you're ever in the area again it is a neat place to check out. They recently opened 'Old Town' which has some original Fresno landmarks/memorabilia from the 19th century on display which is really neat: http://www.simonianfarms.com/oldtown/

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been crazy busy with work and haven't had much time for progress, but I do have plenty to update to this thread so I need to get back to posting!

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
F-I-N-A-L-L-Y at Marlin Crawler!!

While showing the engine compartment to our guys at work we noticed it is ALREADY rusting :sheerterror: :sheerterror: :scared: :scared: :sad2: :sad2:

L@@K AT THIS:

This is near the passenger's side hood hinge / A-pillar. Other nearby bolt holes and those on the other side of the compartment are all painted. Is this something I can take to the dealer and have them repair ASAP before it spreads?

It does sound like there is noise coming from the back firewall or lower b-pillar areas. I noticed there is a rubber flap on both sides between the cab & bed to isolate vertical flow between the two. Nice touch Toyota. But I wonder if this higher velocity of air between the two is coming through as noise in the cab...
Here is what I was talking about:

Hilux_Max

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile

Hello Max! Yes of course I know about you; I helped Marlin over the phone with the coupler issue :wave: Awesome man ya got a new Hilux!! Also Congrats!! Wish we had Diesel options here. Wikipedia says that turbocharged 2.8 1GD-FTV 4 banger is rated at 330 lb-ft as early as 1,400 RPM!! :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: Ugggggggggggg So frustrating Toyota. We can't get any breaks over here.

Question: Is the 70-series LC being discontinued or could you have picked up a 2016 model?

Also, where is your '07? Did you sell it?!

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been crazy busy with work and haven't had much time for progress, but I do have plenty to update to this thread so I need to get back to posting!

Yes,  the 70 series we heard is being discontinued next year....nothing confirmed 100% yet thou but thats the rumour on the grapevine.   I considered the 70 series, but the cost difference between the Hilux and Landcruiser is significant.

Yes I sold the 07 Hilux about 2 years ago. It went to a good home in outback central Australia in a town called "Cooper-Pedy".    it is very remote and very hot, and most of the population lives underground in caves to escape the heat. They renovate the caves into make shift homes with all modern appliances and requirements.

Looking forward to the updates on your tacoma.

swilson

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Hey Mike, congrats on the new truck.  Can't wait to see how you'll build it up!

Scott Wilson - TLCA #5261
1966 FJ40 [sold] - Click for Build thread
1988 3RZ 4Runner - Click for Build thread
1964 FJ40 TBD

mdtrail-toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 547
  • Male Posts: 238
  • Member since Aug '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hey Mike, as far as the surface rust in the engine bay. I'm sure you may want to address it with Toyota but if you decide to tackle it yourself first it looks like its not to bad from the pics. I own a detail shop out here and was Toyota certified when I was with them. My thought to go about it is you want to remove then seal it, not just touch up over it, because that's just hiding the problem not fixing it. Get just basic Lacquer thinner from the hardware store ( mineral spirits may work but is not as aggressive ) this will not cause any issues to the painted surfaces. Put a good bit of the thinner onto a rag and jam it in the hole a twist it the best you can to get into the threads. Keep doing that until getting you get it. Then you can seal it with just regular touch up, but its important to get a clear coat touchup aswell because that is what's going to actually seal it. Sorry for the  overly complicated explanation which you probably already knew, But that sort of stuff is very frustrating on a brand new vehicle . Good luck sir :thumbs:

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Toyota just wanted you to feel at home. They must have put the rust on there so you would feel a connection to your old hilux.

When are you going to have some wheeling pics?
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Toyota just wanted you to feel at home. They must have put the rust on there so you would feel a connection to your old hilux.

When are you going to have some wheeling pics?

He did some "wheeling" in Moab, did you miss those pictures?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Sorry for the  overly complicated explanation which you probably already knew, But that sort of stuff is very frustrating on a brand new vehicle . Good luck sir :thumbs:
mdtrail-toy, thank you very much for the explanation! One thing I am not is a paint & detail guy. Your post is exactly what I need, thank you :hattip:

:funny:

He did some "wheeling" in Moab, did you miss those pictures?
:shhh: