Author Topic: BigMike's Big Journey: A 2016 Tacoma Build Thread  (Read 561615 times)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
And... did you at least stop by Braum's?
Sorry didn't reply to this, and.... had to look it up.... and.... dang, missed out :(

Edit: try to see you and yours in October.
Yes Sir redpim1! We will be at the Southern Cruiser Crawl in Arkansas this October and plan to swing back down to the San Antonio area during the tip.

Are you sure that it doesn't lock when the doors are locked? Many new cars have this feature.
The fuel door itself has no lock, only a simple plastic clip that holds the door closed.

On to Day #4!

Friday, April 22, 2016: Deming, NM to Flagstaff, AZ

When I was planning the trip this turned out to be the toughest decision: Should we enjoy all the amazing native American history and sites of New Mexico, which would be more for us and less for the Tacoma, or go the more populated route through Arizona where there are a bunch of things to park next to for cool pictures.... In the end I decided to go through Arizona. New Mexico offers Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument, Petroglyph National Monument, Bandelier National Monument, Chaco Culture National Historical Park, and Aztec Ruins National Monument. I'd like to return to New Mexico very much someday!

Driving near the astronomy center of the world (southern Arizona) the speed limit was reduced and we were making some great gas mileage

The wife really enjoying the new truck, especially her heated seat :D

Stopped here but don't worry it was only for the picture ;) They didn't sucker these tourists with some misrepresented movie prop!

Beautiful Mission San Xavier Del Bac, built in the late 1600s!

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2016, 09:17:24 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Did you stock up on all the illegal (for CA) fireworks?
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
The failed Tech Facility Domes! I had heard about these growing up so we had to check them out. Originally intended for circuit board manufacturing to rival Bay Area companies!

I was hoping to actually drive inside one but the entire area was fenced off and, um, lets just say it wasn't the best place to be with a shiny, fancy new truck without any sort of "personal insurance".

Entirely out in the middle of nowhere. Definitely got a weird vibe from the place.

Next checked out the Mystery Castle...

...and this was when the trip was finally catching up to us. Apparently I just planned too much and things were so spread out... It was taking forever to drive around to visit things. I was planning to see the Estrella Star Tower, Humpty Dumpty Statues, Goldfield Ghost Town, Hobo Joe Statue, and the Pioneer Living History Museum. Earlier in the day we had also planned to visit the City of Rocks State Park and cruise through the Cactus Forest Drive but knew we had to skip it. Should have planned minimum two extra days for all this.

But I didn't let this stop me from compiling...

The curious things... Part III
  • There is no "Defrost Only" climate mode. There is only "Defrost + Feet" mode
  • Also because the climate controls are digital, you cannot manually select a mode slightly between two modes. For example, with my Hilux, if I'd like air on my feet but not so much, then I could slide the lever slightly right diverting as much of a percentage away from my feet as desired. Not possible with all this fancy pants Tacoma stuff.
  • What's worse is the dumb A/C compressor turns on with the defroster. Same thing happens with our Yaris. So dumb and such a waste. I don't need "as dry an air as possible." I can afford to wait 10 more seconds for my windshield to defrost. Seriously, what is the harm in giving the driver the option here? There is an individual A/C button within reach. Even the green A/C light doesn't turn on yet you can hear the compressor cycling. Maybe this is a must in climates that never drop beneath 90% humidity. All of my other A/C equipped vehicles defrost fine without summing the A/C. Will be disabling this.
  • There is no passenger door exterior key hole. If the battery in the key remote dies then I'll have to go through the driver's door to unlock it. (I do like the improved security aspect of this however.)
  • If the Headlights are switched to the "AUTO" mode and it is dark outside, then both the parking and head lights will turn on as the key cycles to the ON position and remain on during cranking. Horrible! Poor battery and also poor little starter contacts, which, if located under the intake manifold, I'd rather not have to service for as long as possible :P
  • There is a second power outlet (cigarette lighter) within the center console and ample room for a power cord to escape with the lid closed. [Borat]Very nice![/Borat]
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2016, 11:24:33 PM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
No trip to Phoenix would be complete without visiting the thingy Rock

Conveniently located 1 mile from the largest Sundial in North America

Next we needed to get moving as we still needed to throw mud over the streets of Arcosanti... and get up to Sedona to see the beautiful red-rock buttes... and walk around Montezuma Castle National Monument... check out the massive Meteor Crater east of Flagstaff along with the Geronimo Trading Post... and the Walnut Canyon National Monument... and the Sunset Crater Volcano area... and you can see how this was a huge mess. Definitely tried to take on faaaaar more than we could visit. This actually ruined most of the day because instead of relaxing and enjoying ourselves we (and when I say we I mean "I") were scrambling driving around place to place like idiots. Thank you Misato for putting up with me today! :yupyup:

So we crumpled up my plans and switched to "let's just enjoy the drive and time together in this awesome new truck". We have already discussed revisiting many of these areas and will set aside some real quality time to take it all in.

:thumbs:

Got some amazing dinner

Young beet salad

White fish dish for me

Seafood dish for her

Gazed into each others eyes for a while while enjoying some ice tea and the nice Arizona weather, and slowly made our way up to Flagstaff.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2016, 11:26:09 PM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
While leaving the restaurant parking lot I saw a fellow Tacoma owner getting out of his truck and I rolled down my window and said "Nice 2nd gen" (spoke clearly and boldly) and he just stared at me as I drove by even turning his head to gaze at us as we continued through the parking lot...

...And this was the moment I finally realized that Tacoma owners are real stuck-up jerks. Here I am all excited about finally becoming a Tacoma owner....I was not expecting this at all.

(Edit: Read this with a grain of salt. Going through my notes I recalled how negative that encounter felt and I knew I had to write about this. I'll soon realize how the greater commonalty of Tacomas on the road leads to less excitement when one is spotted by another.)

When I'm driving my Hilux and I see another Hilux I almost can't get my hand up for a Thumbs Up sign and the other driver is already doing the same. Smiles and waves all around. Same experience with my MR2, which is more understandable as MR2s are quite rare. Over the years I've pulled over a dozen plus times with complete strangers just to chat about each others MR2 and what mods we've performed. Marlin's truck is the golden standard for this of course as we continue to have Police Officers pull us over just to ask what cool mods have been done to the truck and "can I see a demonstration of how slow it is in 1st gear."

I've been waving and giving Thumbs Up to each and every Tacoma I've passed and NONE have returned the same. Especially the drop-bracket lifted ones with unnecessarily wide tires. It's like they are genuinely pissed off and want to fight me. The rest either look away after making eye contact or stare at me and do nothing. Do Tacoma owners even realize there are other Tacoma owners? It's like everyone saw the same TV commercial and went out to buy a Tacoma to "hit the dunes and play in the mud, bro." Bunch of zombies. I suppose if I owned a Honda Accord I'd get the same reaction. But this isn't a Honda Accord. This is a bad to the bone Toyota truck. Certainly plenty to be proud and happy about!

When we got to our hotel in Flagstaff -- along Route 66! -- I found my very first Tacoma to park next to! The owner of course looked at me and then proceeded to his room without saying a single word.

I was very excited to take some pictures of the new Tacoma parked next to its same kind for the first time. At least the guy didn't come back out and demand I erase all my pictures. ::) ::) ::)

So cool to be parked next to another Tacoma! The best way for the truck to spend the night

It was a lot of climbing to get up to Flagstaff, AZ. Was nice to see some actual trees since leaving Portland. :yupyup: Most of the drive was in the dark however. These projector headlights work amazingly well!

Good night from Flagstaff!
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2016, 11:03:00 PM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Did you stock up on all the illegal (for CA) fireworks?
Hahaha Funny you mention this because we saw Firework stands and entire buildings I think selling fireworks and I wanted to get some pictures parked in front of them but as you can imagine the wife was less excited with all the "useless pictures" I was taking :rofl2: so I didn't stop for them. :laugh:

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
The foot & defrost flow is equal according to the chart I was looking at.  Some of the slightly older models still had in between settings as well.

Good luck on disabling the compressor with defrost.  It's been done that way for a long time now, and your system is just computers talking to computers.  There's probably not a wire to cut.

They're trying to make your A/C smarter than you:

1. Neural Network Control
 Previously, in automatic air conditioning systems without neural network control, the airconditioner
amplifier assembly determined the required outlet air temperature and blower air volume in accordance
with the calculation formula that has been obtained based on information received from the sensors.
However, because the senses of a person are rather complex, a given temperature is sensed differently,
depending on the environment in which the person is situated. For example, a given amount of solar
radiation can feel comfortably warm in a cold climate, or extremely uncomfortable in a hot climate.
Therefore, as a technique for effecting a higher level of control, a neural network has been adopted in the
automatic air conditioning system. With this technique, the data that has been collected under varying
environmental conditions is stored in the airconditioner amplifier assembly. The airconditioner amplifier
assembly can then effect control to provide enhanced air conditioning comfort.
 The neural network control consists of neurons in the input layer, intermediate layer, and output layer. The
input layer neurons process the input data of the ambient temperature, the amount of sunlight, and the room
temperature based on the outputs of the switches and sensors, and output them to the intermediate layer
neurons. Based on this data, the intermediate layer neurons adjust the strength of the links among the
neurons. The sum of these is then calculated by the output layer neurons in the form of the required outlet
temperature, solar correction, target airflow volume, and outlet mode control volume. Accordingly, the
airconditioner amplifier assembly controls the servo motors and blower motor in accordance with the
control volumes that have been calculated by the neural network control.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
They're trying to make your A/C smarter than you

Previously, in automatic air conditioning systems without neural network control, the airconditioner
amplifier assembly determined the required outlet air temperature and blower air volume in accordance
with the calculation formula that has been obtained based on information received from the sensors.
However, because the senses of a person are rather complex, a given temperature is sensed differently,
depending on the environment in which the person is situated. For example, a given amount of solar
radiation can feel comfortably warm in a cold climate, or extremely uncomfortable in a hot climate.
Therefore, as a technique for effecting a higher level of control, a neural network has been adopted in the
automatic air conditioning system. With this technique, the data that has been collected under varying
environmental conditions is stored in the airconditioner amplifier assembly. The airconditioner amplifier
assembly can then effect control to provide enhanced air conditioning comfort.
 The neural network control consists of neurons in the input layer, intermediate layer, and output layer. The
input layer neurons process the input data of the ambient temperature, the amount of sunlight, and the room
temperature based on the outputs of the switches and sensors, and output them to the intermediate layer
neurons. Based on this data, the intermediate layer neurons adjust the strength of the links among the
neurons. The sum of these is then calculated by the output layer neurons in the form of the required outlet
temperature, solar correction, target airflow volume, and outlet mode control volume. Accordingly, the
airconditioner amplifier assembly controls the servo motors and blower motor in accordance with the
control volumes that have been calculated by the neural network control.
Thank you for this excellent excerpt! Very informative and interesting Don. It's going to feel all the better once I interrupt one single wire leading to the clutch magnet! We'll see how the Neural Network Controller feels after that ;) (will probably get a bunch of check engine lights flashing haha)

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
I don't know if the Tacoma does this; but in my ford focus if you have defrost on,   there's no recirculation,   just outside air....

Defrost on my 86 truck seems to be much more efficient.     

Defrost, recirc,  and push the AC button until all the inside window clear.....
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Not sure if you're already past it, as I'm not extremely familiar with the area (only been through there once) but if the reservation is open, you can stop and see 4 corners I believe... Last trip through there, the wife and I were too late :(
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
 The douchbag tacoma owner deal in my opinion is that 90% of taco owners just have them because they wanted a truck and heard of the reliability of a toyota. I have one with as you reference to "drop bracket lifted with unnecessarily wide tires" I'm not as cool as the kids on your coast though. Mine has no stickers or useless light bars. It simply takes my kids to school, ball practice, or wherever we all 4 need to go and obviously can't all fit into a 1st gen pickup with 2 seats lol. I very rarely have anyone with another taco say anything to me other than "where did you get those wheels". When you have something thats less than 30 years old it's not really anything different than everyone elses unless you have that awesome 3rd pedal that no one knows you have. People just don't seem to care about it Iike say a 67 ss 396 Chevelle owner would when he sees another like his. Just my observation on the subject lol.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2016, 10:23:42 AM by redneckcustoms13 »
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
I don't know if the Tacoma does this; but in my ford focus if you have defrost on,   there's no recirculation,   just outside air....
Ahh, forgot about this. The Tacoma actually DOES allow the user to deactivate recirculate mode when the air duct mode is selected for "Defrost + Feet". This is not possible with our Yaris: The moment you switch to defrost it automatically enables recirculate mode. So I am happy the Tacoma has this freedom.

Not sure if you're already past it, as I'm not extremely familiar with the area (only been through there once) but if the reservation is open, you can stop and see 4 corners I believe... Last trip through there, the wife and I were too late :(
I went to the Four Corners Monument in the late 1990s with my family. That was pretty cool. For this trip we were not over in that area so we missed it. Had we stayed in New Mexico then this would have worked because the Aztec Ruins National Monument is just east of Four Corners.

The douchbag tacoma owner deal in my opinion is that 90% of taco owners just have them because they wanted a truck and heard of the reliability of a toyota. I have one with as you reference to "drop bracket lifted with unnecessarily wide tires" I'm not as cool as the kids on your coast though. Mine has no stickers or useless light bars. It simply takes my kids to school, ball practice, or wherever we all 4 need to go and obviously can't all fit into a 1st gen pickup with 2 seats lol. I very rarely have anyone with another taco say anything to me other than "where did you get those wheels". When you have something thats less than 30 years old it's not really anything different than everyone elses unless you have that awesome 3rd pedal that no one knows you have. People just don't seem to care about it Iike say a 67 ss 396 Chevelle owner would when he sees another like his. Just my observation on the subject lol.
Thank you for the comment. At least you've got a taste of both worlds, so you know what it's like on both ends of the spectrum :thumbs:

Regards,
BigMike

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
I don't know if its mating season for Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona bugs but it has been quite the journey for the truck

When the bigger ones strike the mirror they also splatter down the length of the side windows. My wife made the mistake of lowering hers resulting in nice streaking bug guts.

Curiously large gaps on both sides of the windshield that collects even the common housefly. They get embedded pretty deep. Don't think ordinary car washes will get them out.

To the right of the mirror you can see there is a hump in the plastic trim. There are three more (smaller) humps under the mirror as well. According to Toyota literature, these are designed to reduce noise around the mirror. :)

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
The body line is also curiously high above the windshield. Is it like this on 2nd gens? If you run your finger up the glass there is a definite bump at the body. If any of my college studies in fluid dynamics were worth the effort, this will encourage flow separation at higher speeds leading to increased drag. Maybe this is done to disrupt airflow over the cab early to better manage flow coming up the back window? Deep thoughts by Jack Handey...

Bug are so out of control they are splattering on the rear trailing edge of the XtraCab window frame.

Front and rear fenders also getting some kills in

With a grill as massive as the 3rd gen, this is to be expected...

This rubber divider is doing it's job preventing bugs from tainting the beautiful 2GR-FKS.

More under hood carnage

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
The Tacoma even managed to take out a bird!! Poor lil guy!

I watched the guy try to cross paths... :suprised: See what happens when you make the most gaudy grill possible Toyota?

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2016, 02:44:29 PM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Saw some interesting Oversized Loads...

Anyone know what this thing is?

Found the tires I'd like to get for the Tacoma :D

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
Saw some interesting Oversized Loads...

Anyone know what this thing is?

I don't know but I'm going to guess it is a petroleum refinement column
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Uncle Jack's new still
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
CUT THAT THING UP! its too clean Mike! very nice truck.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Sorry didn't reply to this, and.... had to look it up.... and.... dang, missed out :(
Yes Sir redpim1! We will be at the Southern Cruiser Crawl in Arkansas this October and plan to swing back down to the San Antonio area during the tip.

On to Day #4!

Friday, April 22, 2016: Deming, NM to Flagstaff, AZ

When I was planning the trip this turned out to be the toughest decision: Should we enjoy all the amazing native American history and sites of New Mexico, which would be more for us and less for the Tacoma, or go the more populated route through Arizona where there are a bunch of things to park next to for cool pictures.... In the end I decided to go through Arizona. New Mexico offers Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument, Petroglyph National Monument, Bandelier National Monument, Chaco Culture National Historical Park, and Aztec Ruins National Monument. I'd like to return to New Mexico very much someday!

Driving near the astronomy center of the world (southern Arizona) the speed limit was reduced and we were making some great gas mileage

Stopped here but don't worry it was only for the picture ;) They didn't sucker these tourists with some misrepresented movie prop!

I have pictures of the THING,  they thought it was a Aztec princess. supposedly found in a cave in the foothills.

according to other truckers back in the 90's  they said not to go to those dome things even in the daytime. said people tend to disappear there.  I got a bad feeling when I was there as well.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
The body line is also curiously high above the windshield. Is it like this on 2nd gens? If you run your finger up the glass there is a definite bump at the body. If any of my college studies in fluid dynamics were worth the effort, this will encourage flow separation at higher speeds leading to increased drag. Maybe this is done to disrupt airflow over the cab early to better manage flow coming up the back window? Deep thoughts by Jack Handey...

Yes they do.  And over time the paint chips.  Exposing the metal causing it to rust.  I am loosing the battle with rust around my windshield on my Beloved 87.  I am gonna have to do something.  The metal trim around the windshield is also a culprit of rust.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
I have pictures of the THING,  they thought it was a Aztec princess. supposedly found in a cave in the foothills.
According to Wikipedia, it was made by a creator of exhibits for sideshows. :yupyup:

according to other truckers back in the 90's  they said not to go to those dome things even in the daytime. said people tend to disappear there.  I got a bad feeling when I was there as well.
Verrrrrry interesting. I am glad the new truck did not disappear. The tall sage brush or bushes limiting viability was not helping either. :nerv:

The body line is also curiously high above the windshield. Is it like this on 2nd gens?
Yes they do ... my Beloved 87
I was referring to 2nd gen TACOMAS! Cheesy --> :tease:

Saturday, April 23, 2016: Flagstaff, AZ to Las Vegas, NV

This was the part of the trip we were most looking forward to :)

Left our motel and stopped at a grocery store for some snacks. It's a habit of mine to park alongside fixed objects or at the end of a row to reduce the chances of someone's door striking my vehicle by 50%. I actually haven't parked next to a shopping cart return in a long time. Found this when I came out of the store. I should have known better!!

Who can be this lazy with shopping carts! Geeeeeeez. The cart return is right there and they missed. They had only one job to do.

Fortunately the cart didn't leave any permanent damage. The point of contact was the taillight lens assembly which didn't get even a scratch. My first thought other than "I'm an idiot" was, "well at least the lens could have been readily replaced".

Hwy 89 north from Flagstaff was a really nice drive. Calm with nice rolling plateaus and buttes.

We had some tailwind and the fuel mileage was INCREDIBLE. I don't recall the tailwind being "really" strong but it certainly helped. This was our average with cruise set to 70 MPH for a solid 1-1/2 hours.

At "The Gap"

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2016, 07:08:48 PM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Approaching the Navajo Bridge over the Colorado River, the views were really becoming amazing

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Reached the Navajo Bridge and the mighty Colorado River

Before this bridge was constructed in 1927-29, the only way across was by ferry. The crossing over Marble Canyon is 467 feet above the river and is about 1/6th of a mile long. By the 1990s traffic had out grown the 60 year old bridge and was rerouted across a new bridge finished in 1995.

Really neat looking bridges. Love looking at each piece of steel and visualizing how stresses are distributed across. Wife and I walked out to the middle and really enjoyed the view for a while. Good times.

Here is the modern replacement bridge. The original one still stands but is only used for foot traffic / exhibition.

Calm, peaceful view of the Colorado.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Moar from the area

Hope the Tacoma understands its life will be around rocks this size and larger soon

Some saaaweeeet drive-bys

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Climbing back up the other side. Love the six speed manual and power in the hills. Very impressed with this truck

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Jacob Lake Arizona. Elevation 7,925 feet.

Looking north towards...

Utah!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Four Corners??
you gotta go to the Aztec ruins

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13