Author Topic: Medical Road Trip/Prayer Request Etc...  (Read 28387 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Medical Road Trip/Prayer Request Etc...
« on: Mar 22, 2016, 08:48:11 AM »
Our oldest boy, Caleb, 13 started just randomly passing out a little over a month ago.  It was a couple times a week at first and now from 2-6 times a day.  He just all of a sudden looks like someone yanked the plug and he falls like a sack of potatoes.  He also gets nauseated a lot. We have had a barrage of testing done.  So far they have ruled out cancer which is a relief, but everybody is still pretty stumped except that he has kind of low blood pressure.

We are looking at everything from adrenal gland stuff to brain, heart, whatever.  He grew like 2" in a month so there is some speculation on that related to his heart keeping up, but his heart checks out all good. The local doctors are trying to refer us to either a children's hospital in Seattle or Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.

Anyone who knows anything about our lifestyle would know this is a real downer for Caleb as he tends to be pretty rugged, ready and active most of the time.

I have a ton of sick leave and everyone around here (church and friends) is telling us they are taking care of our trip expenses and we just have to shut up about it and go.  He is about the nicest guy in the county so everybody wants to take care of him.  The kid gives away anything he has, has stellar work ethic and help people out everywhere he goes.  Caleb has pretty good insurance that should be good for wherever we go so we should be OK on medical expenses.

What I am asking for 1st is prayer for our son, ideally healing, that he could just snap out of it.  If that is not in God's plan of action then that we could at least find out what's up and provide some kind of relief so he can live normal again.

Secondly, if and when we go, we will be traveling in the 4runner, which oddly is our most dependable vehicle at this time.  So, prayers for a safe trip and possibly locations and contacts of Toyota buddies with shops and access to spares if something spins out on us mid trip.  I am getting caught up on deferred maintenance and we even have a fresh set of all terrains to put on. I don't anticipate any problems, but it would be comforting to know we had some assets out there other than autozone and the parking lot.

Heck I'd even just like to have a cup of coffee with somebody if possible somewhere along the way to make the trip suck less :).  I'd hit someone up for some mild wheeling on the way but I had better not push the envelope ;).

We are in Highwood, MT so we will either be traveling west to Seattle through MT, ID and WA or east to Rochester, Minnesota through the rest of MT, ND/SD if they send us that way.

Any prayers are appreciated and if you are in these areas and don't mind PM me some contact numbers/e-mails and approximate locations.

Thanks!

Here is a photo of Caleb and his brother Jacob.  Caleb is the fur trader on the left...

« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2016, 09:05:30 AM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,336
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Medical Road Trip/Prayer Request Etc...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2016, 09:08:12 AM »
Well I work with pediatric neurologists from Children's are they are wonderful. PM me with any questions you make have. If you come this way I would love to meet up
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2016, 08:51:46 PM »
Man...I just saw this. I hope it's something simple...Oh man, of course y'all are in my prayers.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

4.3 headache

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -182
  • Male Posts: 321
  • Member since Aug '03
  • keep goin!!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2016, 11:20:10 PM »
Praying for your son & family ! Jeremiah 29:11

Tommy
all i want is a little more than i'll ever get!!

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2016, 07:09:36 AM »
If you end up in Seattle I think you'll find plenty of people willing to help on the Toyota front.  There's a pretty active group in these parts.

Sorry to hear about your son, that's scary stuff.  I have two kids (3 and 4-1/2) so can empathize with you.  Your family will be in my prayers. 
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2016, 12:11:14 PM »
Thank you guys!

It turns out they are sending us to Rochester MN.  I wish we were headed to Seattle, I know my way around better.  We will leave next week and they want us to stay about a week.  I will post up whatever we find out.
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2016, 03:40:31 PM »
We have to stay over the weekend so they can follow up so I am attempting to find a moderate trail.  There is some place called Donley's Woods like 20 miles away.  I think it would be better than sitting around town in a built 4runner with 2 restless hillbilly boys. :)
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2016, 03:42:15 PM »
Praying for your son & family ! Jeremiah 29:11

Tommy

I will pass that scripture along to him thanks!
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2016, 08:46:41 AM »
So we were looking at how to make this trip not suck.  Naturally I was looking for wheeling spots.  Looks like not much to be had near Rochester (Iron Range is too far away to be feasible) but a ton of things to look at otherwise while we wait around during the week.  If we go home through SD though we go right through the Black Hills.  I am attempting contact with some of the locals to try to get a trail ride on the way home.  The boys were pretty stoked to see Mount Rushmore too.
– Steve McQueen

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2016, 12:21:28 PM »
Definitely will be praying for you guys.  My oldest son is almost 15, and the next one is 12, so I can understand needing things to occupy their time.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2016, 01:00:37 PM »
Thanks everybody!  I will post up when we get some news.
– Steve McQueen

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2016, 11:46:38 AM »
Definitely will be praying for you guys and especially Caleb. I know you are headed to Rochester but if you are sent to Seattle children's for any reason, you have Toyota help and a place to stay at my house in Seattle. Keep us posted.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
As it turns out, at the last possible second I was calling to get info on travel forms for insurance and they said we would not be covered at Mayo because they wanted us to stay in state.  They decided this after telling us all was well and we could go.  Very frustrating.

Yesterday Caleb got really dehydrated and couldn't stand without passing out so he got checked into the local hospital.  He is getting a little bit better there on IVs and things and they are getting a bunch of good data monitoring his heart rate and such.

His doctor is now trying to get him to Seattle because apparently they are OK with his insurance.  I will keep everybody posted.  Sounds like they would fly Mom and him out and I would probably follow driving.

At this point I really don't know what to expect.  Thanks for all the prayers and kindness.  Keep them coming!
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2016, 09:24:20 AM »
Definitely will be praying for you guys and especially Caleb. I know you are headed to Rochester but if you are sent to Seattle children's for any reason, you have Toyota help and a place to stay at my house in Seattle. Keep us posted.

Thank you so much! I will sure let you know.  If nothing else, some coffee!
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2016, 03:16:53 PM »
Headed out to Seattle this weekend.  Appointment Monday at 10:00AM.  Found out our doctor has been lying to us in regards to making a referral at all and our insurance.  Mayo would not work with our insurance, but he said today that Seattle wouldn't return his calls and insurance was holding it all up and wouldn't deal with anybody out od state.  My wife was able to get to the bottom of it with insurance in about 40 minutes on the phone. Turns out our insurance is just fine and only needed one form from him to put it all together.  Not real sure why someone would lie to our face like that.  There must be some financial motivation or something.  This belongs in my "It's The Man" conspiracy thread. 
– Steve McQueen

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2016, 05:43:18 PM »
Not real sure why someone would lie to our face like that.
Possibly not lying intentionally......  just incompetent. Seems to be no shortage of that, especially when dealing with something as complex as insurance.

At any rate it sounds like things will finally be moving forward for Caleb. Best of luck, I hope it's relatively minor and easily treatable. Will keep you all in my thoughts and hope for the best.   :crossed:

My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
Possibly not lying intentionally......  just incompetent. Seems to be no shortage of that, especially when dealing with something as complex as insurance.

At any rate it sounds like things will finally be moving forward for Caleb. Best of luck, I hope it's relatively minor and easily treatable. Will keep you all in my thoughts and hope for the best.   :crossed:

Thanks!

You are probably right on the incompetence thing.
– Steve McQueen

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2016, 12:40:11 PM »
I sure hope they get to the source of the illness. I hate to see anyone feeling ill, being a youngin makes it even worse. I have 2 children and understand your love for your boys. Hopefully yall can enjoy some good company of the members in that area as well as get some riding time I and help him get his mind off the issue if at all possible.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2016, 12:55:01 PM »
Well Nate is hooking us up with a beach house to stay in.  If these guys roll out the red carpet any more I'm moving to WA.
– Steve McQueen

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2016, 02:16:38 PM »
Well Nate is hooking us up with a beach house to stay in.  If these guys roll out the red carpet any more I'm moving to WA.

Then you would have to change your signature.
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 02, 2016, 09:59:45 PM »
So we got him out of the hospital Friday.  They had him on something to raise his blood pressure that seemed logical, but after the start of day 2 on it he began to have all the side effects on the "stop taking this immediately if" list.  The doctor blew it off and said it was fine, keep him on it for a few weeks. 

We got him home and had him on a finger heart monitor.  We helped him to the bathroom and when he stood for a few seconds his heart became erratic, starting and stopping for a few seconds at a time.  Then it spiked higher than it had ever been and he passed out. 

After he came to and relaxed for a while he saw a huge floating head with it's face chopped off and big teeth growling above his bed.  Then later he saw a cartoon gecko playing on his desk and a black spot on his Mom's forehead.  Needless to say we did not give him any more of that med.

Made it to Spokane today and he is feeling better since the med wore off.  Still passing out if he stands but more where he was week before last, not as bad as he was last week.

I drove past Mullan ID/ Compressor Trail today on I-90.  I'm going to get that trail someday...
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2016, 08:47:30 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #21 on: Apr 10, 2016, 04:33:27 PM »
It was nice to finally meet you and your family. I hope you made it home safe.

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10910
  • Male Posts: 2,416
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 10, 2016, 07:35:29 PM »
Don't know how this thread got past my radar. So sorry to hear about this. Nate told me about you being in town this week. He didn't say what about or else I would have made an effort to make it out to see you. Hope your boy gets better, brother. I'm not a religious man but I'll be pulling for him.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 11, 2016, 07:57:32 AM »
Thanks guys!  We did make it home OK.  I'm afraid we weren't much fun to be around this trip anyway.  I sure appreciate the hospitality and it was nice to meet you guys.  I will try to get out there to wheel this summer for sure.  I just wish I could have met you under better circumstances.    Can't thank Nate enough for hooking us up with the beach house.  It made an otherwise miserable experience as close to a vacation as it could be.

The prescription the cardiologist gave us seems to be doing nothing.  We are scheduled to see a neurologist over there in the first week of May. In the mean time we are trying to get him tested for lyme disease.  We have a friend of a friend with nearly identical symptoms that is getting treated for lyme disease right now. 

Caleb can't even stand up right now without blacking out so we picked up a wheel chair before we left Seattle.  We had a bunch of wood for the kitchen floor but decided to use it to put most of the deck on so he could wheel out on the porch.  I did that last night for lack of any other way to help him out.

The most frustrating thing is how slow the wheels turn and I can't do anything to speed up the process.  I know there are kids in a lot worse shape but this is such a drastic change of lifestyle for him that it's pretty huge.

So after spending a week driving around in Seattle I finally see why you guys don't runs spools.
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2016, 08:52:59 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 13, 2016, 07:41:00 AM »
Caleb had a heavy chest for a couple days.  Local joint did a chest x-ray with nothing found.

We also had a test done for Lyme Disease to rule that out.  Won't come back for a few days.

We have bumped into a weird thing in our stack of papers.  Caleb was given a "mandatory" meningitis vaccine in January by the pediatrician.  Symptoms started creeping in in February.  This kind of thing as happened before in Europe with this vaccine.  Maybe there is something there.  I'm not usually freaked out by the idea of vaccines but the timing is really noteworthy.

Unfortunately this has to be looked at with a spinal tap by a neurosurgeon according to what I find.  Could be a while.
– Steve McQueen

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #25 on: Apr 13, 2016, 07:56:15 AM »
I'm glad to here that you are doing your own detective work. This kind of thing needs a lot of research and attention that only those directly involved can be devoted enough to do.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Apr 13, 2016, 09:13:33 AM »
I'm glad to here that you are doing your own detective work. This kind of thing needs a lot of research and attention that only those directly involved can be devoted enough to do.

I think the toughest thing has been that nobody, anywhere has any sense of urgency.  So far the pattern has been that he will stay he same for 2-4 days, then get worse in some way, then again the same in a few days.  Watching this decline is pretty alarming.  If this keeps up eventually your not going to be alive.   Getting referrals is like pulling teeth.  Anybody we see around here just wants us to leave, but nobody is willing to do what we need them to do to get him specialized help.

I'm not willing to rule out just plain prayer and healing,  I have seen people healed with just plain old faith, but as a parent you feel like you have to exhaust every possible avenue. If he survives all this and comes out all right he is sure going to have a lot of compassion for people in wheelchairs and other impairments.  To be honest, I've never given it much thought but I am really wanting to find some way to bless kids with horrible conditions or help people with similar problems.

Maybe infiltrating the medical industry and doing a reverse long con to help people, treat them like actual human beings and expose lying cheaters who drop the ball when they don't have the answers...  Probably better just to try to bless people in need.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2016, 09:34:16 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,336
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #27 on: Apr 13, 2016, 11:22:23 AM »

Unfortunately this has to be looked at with a spinal tap by a neurosurgeon according to what I find.  Could be a while.

Spinal taps do not need to be done by a neurosurgeon. An anastethiologist can do them and I am sure they have one at the local hospital
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 13, 2016, 12:06:34 PM »
Interesting.  I am now running out of fingers to count the people who have fed us a bunch of bologna through all this.  I think they are simply scared to do anything with him over here.  What a joke.

Why don't you become a pediatrician then we could get decent information and real service?  I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a 4WD enthusiast working on him, even a Jeep guy ;).
– Steve McQueen

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8319
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 13, 2016, 01:23:55 PM »
Hang in there, keep researching. Push the doctors to do the right thing. I know it gets frustrating but don't give up. We went through the same kind of thing with epilepsy & my youngest son. Finally found the right doctor & things took a turn for the better.  :yesnod:
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes