Author Topic: BFGoodrich All Terrain KO2 35x12.50 15 Review  (Read 43331 times)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: BFGoodrich All Terrain KO2 35x12.50 15 Review
« Reply #60 on: Dec 07, 2016, 12:51:37 PM »
I've ran lock-rites, Detroit and aussies.  Aussie is my favorite, I thought detroits were the best by design but even my wife likes driving the spooled rears better in town, inclement weather and dirt than any of them.  You get the screeching tires but you never get the bangity-bang-buck snort-pop of the lock rite or the creeeeek-BANG of the Detroit.

The aussie is he smoothest I found by far and that's what we have in all our front ends.  I would gladly run one of those in the rear but the Detroit is SO much stronger for the rear.

To tell the truth I don't really mind any of the noise or quirks of the auto lockers, I just like the handling quirks of the spool. I also love the no moving parts. I know I am alone here.

I started the nonsense of welded and spooled rears due to lack of funds and need for traction, but we have found them to be fun and favorable to drive other than the tire scrub.  In the ice you get all this control of how much your rear end hangs out and you can snap it back into straight just letting off the throttle.  Auto lockers kind of do this too, but not as crisp. You can do a controlled crab on snow drifted roads in the deep snow.  I just like them.

One day I will probably do an e-locker or something good.  I'm just waiting for a local deal to land in my lap.  Right now all our extra coin goes to the kid's medical expenses and I also have to somehow re-fit my pickup over the next 6 months so we can deal with the spools for a while longer :).

What would help is if we could quit putting 30K miles a year on my 4runner!

I don't want to turn this into one of the locker/spool threads. 

In summary: You guys are right.  Anything is better for all around driving than a spool.  Burning through 5 BGFs in 30K miles is a prime example of why this is true.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2016, 01:06:44 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1051
  • Male Posts: 9,755
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Dec 07, 2016, 08:18:33 PM »
Literally everybody not running a spool will get much more miles out of these than I am getting

No they won't!  Absolute worst complaint I receive on them is how quickly they wear.  I've seen em down to bald in less than 15k, and I can barely recall anybody getting over 30k on them, though I have a customer who claims he got over 50k.  I still think he was recalling the older KO, not the KO2
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Mudder

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3487
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Dec 07, 2016, 08:44:31 PM »
No they won't!  Absolute worst complaint I receive on them is how quickly they wear.  I've seen em down to bald in less than 15k, and I can barely recall anybody getting over 30k on them, though I have a customer who claims he got over 50k.  I still think he was recalling the older KO, not the KO2

They also have bad cracking in the tread on some of the other sizes. Couple threads over on Ih8Mud about it.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:38:09 PM »
I've seen the threads but haven't seen it on the tires, and we see a pretty fair volume of them.  Thinking it was maybe an early production thing, like how the early goodyear duratracs had lots of sidewall issues.  If I remember, I'll try to get a count of how many ko2 come through the shop one day and maybe a full week, just for kicks-n-giggles

RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Dec 08, 2016, 05:02:40 AM »

What do you consider to be an equivalent tire for overall performance that would last longer?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Dec 08, 2016, 07:38:43 AM »
Interesting to hear on the mileage.  Glad I'm not the only one.

All the older BFG ATs I ran I also ran with spools or at least lunchbox lockers and they did wear considerably longer. I'm not horribly disappointed in how these are wearing but it's just notable based on my experience that these tires aren't lasting as long as the older style.

My carcasses are a little less round than I would have liked on this set but I don't have any cracking or anything so overall quality I am OK with.

With the dirt, snow and ice performance I am seriously considering running these again anyway.  Ideally I would love to have a set of MTs for spring and summer and a set of these for winter.  It was super ice on the way to work again today and these things are just like running a dedicated snow tire on road ice.
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2016, 07:44:34 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Dec 08, 2016, 07:15:00 PM »

Curious if the increased wear was do to the same issue that caused the cracking with the first batch of tires.  I noticed my new KO2's seem to be stickier on the pavement than the KO's, I find myself taking corners faster w/less squeal than before.  If they only last 15k, I will be fine, they will likely only get 2-3k miles/yr.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Dec 11, 2016, 12:17:20 PM »
What do you consider to be an equivalent tire for overall performance that would last longer?

That's the hard part, I really don't.  Duratracs are equivelant traction, but longevity seems close, sometimes better and sometimes worse.  Nitto G2 seem to last a bit longer, but them you're not quite getting the same level of off-road or snow traction.  General grabber at2 seem to last a little longer and have similar traction, but don't seem to hold their traction as well as they wear low.  Nitto has their new ridge grappler.  I've sold several sets myself and am pretty stoked on them, just no real world feedback yet.
RIP KYOTA

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #68 on: Dec 12, 2016, 03:36:50 AM »
Went on a road trip with the tires at 25 psi this weekend and it did not effect mileage at all. I actually got 19 mpg pulling passes and corners in the mountains, best tank I ever had.  I'm not saying the lower psi and flatter footprint got better fuel economy, but it certainly didn't hurt it any.

I ran my 32s and 33s for daily driving at 22 PSI rear, 25 front.  If I hauled camping gear, I raised the psi to 32 and 35 for highway travel.  For average rockcrawling - 10 psi.  For snow and sand dunes 4 psi.

I remember in SoCal back in early 90's, the first time I met up with a local 4-wheel drive club to go on a trail run.  We stopped at the trail head off the highway.  I got out and started airing down.  I looked around and there were guys staring at me....... they did NOT air down!!!  I asked if we had any more highway to travel, they said this was the start of the trail.  I thought to myself.. "What do they know that I don't"??  I did not go on any more runs with that club.

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Dec 12, 2016, 08:09:10 AM »
Went a did a bit more snow wheeling on a guys rec/cabin place on the club's "Christmas Tree Run".  His road is just roughed in and very steep, snowy with ice underneath from quads and a sled polishing it.  These tires did totally awesome.  Lost of highway ice and snow all the way there and the tires felt like they were on dry roads.  Again, the snowflake emblem is no joke.  These are champion winter tires.

The only issue I had wheeling was driver error because the second trip up the climb I chose to be in high range and actually had too much traction and powered out right at the crest of the climb.  I jammed it into low but at that point I was right on some glare ice on a steep grade at the crest and a dog leg left hand turn.  I could hold my spot but couldn't get going again.  Winch wasn't spooling in so I backed down a bit and ended up bonking a tree on the passenger side.

After about 5 years I finally put a dent in this thing!

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2016, 10:29:56 AM by H8PVMNT »
– Steve McQueen

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Dec 12, 2016, 11:43:15 AM »
Went a did a bit more snow wheeling on a guys rec/cabin place on the club's "Christmas Tree Run".  His road is just roughed in and very steep, snowy with ice underneath from quads and a sled polishing it.  These tires did totally awesome.  Lost of highway ice and snow all the way there and the tires felt like they were on dry roads.  Again, the snowflake emblem is no joke.  These are champion winter tires.

The only issue I had wheeling was driver error because the second trip up the climb I chose to be in high range and actually had too much traction and powered out right at the crest of the climb.  I jammed it into low but at that point I was right on some glare ice on a steep grade at the crest and a dog leg left hand turn.  I could hold my spot but couldn't get going again.  Winch wasn't spooling in so I backed down a bit and ended up bonking a tree on the passenger side.

After about 5 years I finally put a dent in this thing!

You're destined to wheel with the WA boys as that's their favorite location to store their dents.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #71 on: Dec 12, 2016, 12:01:29 PM »
I have several..........
Time to go wheelin!

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Dec 12, 2016, 01:51:59 PM »
You're destined to wheel with the WA boys as that's their favorite location to store their dents.

I guess I should stick my sliders out further :).
– Steve McQueen

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #73 on: Dec 12, 2016, 04:26:27 PM »
1:  Remove interior paneling

:yupyup:

2:  Pop dent out

:_order:

3:  Re-install interior paneling

:beer:

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Feb 27, 2017, 03:22:14 PM »
OK a couple months have gone by and I have retired the 4runner to my own commute and wheeling as the wife has something else to drive now. I will post mileage and tread depths again pretty soon.  We had some heavy slush and these don't cut it quite as well with less tread depth, but today I had a work trip to inspect a new home at the back of beyond with 100 miles of blowing snow pack twisty roads.  The tires on the work truck are nealy bald so I decided to take the 4runner.  The KO2s were an absolute dream.  Drifting in the drifts the whole way :).  Total ralley car experience.

I made too good of time and got back the office an hour and a half early.

This is the snowy road tire.

– Steve McQueen

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Feb 27, 2017, 08:32:05 PM »
I can't yet resize pics, but I recently took a pic of a customers set on a superduty after 39,000 miles.  Had way more tread than you would think
RIP KYOTA

GuyonaBuffalo!

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Feb '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #76 on: Apr 08, 2017, 04:50:16 AM »
Yep-Yep-Yippy-Kiy-Yay!  :greengrin:   i'ts a toyotey!
"I done told ya, you don't mess with a guy on a buffalo!"

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Apr 10, 2017, 04:22:54 AM »
Yep-Yep-Yippy-Kiy-Yay!  :greengrin:   i'ts a toyotey!

Do your chores punk! Why don't you go take your carb off your '83 so we can get you rebuilding it?
– Steve McQueen

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Apr 10, 2017, 02:15:39 PM »
Checked tread depth again, 23,221 miles on these tires (ODO at 222,021, mounted up tires at 198,800). 

Tread depths range from 24%-50% with an average of 40% for all five tires. 

Tread wear at this point seems to be slowing down a bit.  Not sure if the compound is harder down there or just less squirming around and scuffing at the lower tread depth.  Still AMAZING in the snow. 

Hydroplaning getting to be more of an issue as they wear down and also notably less effective in the mud as they loose tread depth.

They are hopping a bit more, probably because my lead shot is wearing down and there isn't enough loose weight in there to do a good balance.  They are of course wearing in the centers faster than they should on 8" wheels, but they are wearing pretty flat overall without a bunch of cupping.

I am going to say these would be done at 30K for my purposes but I could probably run them to 35K bald based on the math.  Again, welded rear has surely shortened the tread wear.  Consider this a performance review, not a tread wear review :).

I may be selling these off while they are still worth something in favor of some light mud terrains soon.

I am toying around with getting a set of these in the 37s for snow wheeling in the future.  They are truly a snow tire if anything.
– Steve McQueen

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #79 on: Apr 14, 2017, 07:29:06 AM »
Wouldnt increasing your tire pressure even out the wear in the middle?
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Apr 14, 2017, 08:28:16 AM »
Wouldnt increasing your tire pressure even out the wear in the middle?

I got a flatter footprint at about the mid 20s psi range but still a pretty round tread face.  30-35 psi kept me totally on the center treads.  These tires want to be pretty round on an 8" wheel. I think they need to be on 10".  Your duratracs are pretty flat on a 71x9 aren't they?
– Steve McQueen

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Apr 14, 2017, 12:42:06 PM »
I got a flatter footprint at about the mid 20s psi range but still a pretty round tread face.  30-35 psi kept me totally on the center treads.  These tires want to be pretty round on an 8" wheel. I think they need to be on 10".  Your duratracs are pretty flat on a 71x9 aren't they?

A 10" wheel will flatten out the tread more, allowing you to run a higher psi, you should be able to run 35psi when warm w/o rounding the tread.  I run that same psi on both my 33 AT's and 35 MT's on 15x10's, and have consistent where pattern across the tread.

'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Apr 17, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »
I am trying the 10" on my next set of 12.50s.  I hope they don't stick out so much that the cops are always pulling me over :)
– Steve McQueen

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Apr 17, 2017, 04:33:57 PM »
I am trying the 10" on my next set of 12.50s.  I hope they don't stick out so much that the cops are always pulling me over :).
Do they pull you over now with your current set-up?  What is the BS you have now w/the 8's?

You appear to be in compliance with
MTVC 61-9-407. Fenders, splash aprons, or flaps required on certain vehicles

My measurements w current gen BFG's on 15x10's and mounted on rig,
Sidewall to sidewall
33" AT's= 12.75"
35" MT's= 12.75"

Distance from frame(IFS frame/axle),
w/3.5" BS=16.25"
w/2.5" BS=17.25"

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2017, 05:30:09 PM by Snowtoy »

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Apr 19, 2017, 04:10:11 AM »
No I got pulled over with the 8" wheels when I had no rear bumper or flaps while under construction.  The guy really went off about it so I added the lawn edging which overlaps the tire completely.

I think I have 3.5" backspacing on the 8" and 10" wheels.  What erks me is how the big diesel guys and even the Jeep guys get away with their ENTIRE tread hanging out but I cant get away with 2".
– Steve McQueen

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Apr 19, 2017, 01:19:39 PM »
With as explicit as the MT law is, I would think the LEO's would be writing up those rigs daily, then again if they are like a friend of mine, they may write them based on the day they are having.  A buddy says he used to write a lot on the days he had an argument w/his wife before work, and now that he is divorced, he barely writes any.

With the mudflaps, you shouldn't have any issue with the wider rims, outside of running into a "Barney Fife" who thinks that the law is an "and" and not an "or"one.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #86 on: Apr 20, 2017, 06:32:31 AM »
A 10" wheel will flatten out the tread more, allowing you to run a higher psi, you should be able to run 35psi when warm w/o rounding the tread.  I run that same psi on both my 33 AT's and 35 MT's on 15x10's, and have consistent where pattern across the tread.

On all my Toy trucks, all tire sizes, I run 25 PSI front, 22 PSI rear, unless I'm hauling, then 32/32.  35 PSI unloaded is brutally harsh on the highway.  I always had an issue with cupping on the front with muds if I didn't rotate and cross-swap at 7,000 miles.   My BFG ATs were really nice on and off-road, and were awesome in Moab.  The very best off-highway tire I ever had on any of my pickups was the old Yokahama Mud Diggers.  At 4 PSI, they were unbelievable in mud, snow, ice, sand, and rocks!!

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2017, 10:46:56 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Apr 20, 2017, 09:05:59 AM »
I remember drooling over those back in the early 90s.  Never got to run a set.
– Steve McQueen

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #88 on: Apr 20, 2017, 11:50:36 AM »
Discount Tire just put a set of these bad boys on my litto twuk :D

Gnarls. :thumbs:

H8PVMNT [OP]

• Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Apr 20, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »
I dismounted these today so this will end my review.  I put just under 24,000 on these with a 5 tire rotation and tread depth averages out at about 40%.  I was running a spooled rear so I'm sure most sane folks would get better miles out of these.  I still contend they are softer and not as long wearing as the older versions of this tire. 

Overall I would recommend them as an all around tire on a trail rig that doesn't see much mud. 

They are not a mud tire, but excel in snow, icy roads, rocks and dirt. 

Seriously the best tire for road snow and ice I have ever had, but tread doesn't eject enough for heavy slush. 

Especially good for high speed backroad/fire roading.

I would avoid these in a wide size the PNW or other areas that see a lot of water on the road.  The tread does tend to hydroplane a bit more than I would like.

These are nice and quiet for a big tire but this particular set wasn't very round.  Kind of hard to balance compared to other sets I have ran in the past.  Still manageable though. This may have been an isolated incident but it is worth mentioning. Don't expect a smooth as glass road baby all terrain like the older KOs, these are more of an off highway all terrain now.

– Steve McQueen