Author Topic: Stock springs in 3'' lilft leaf pack is it a good idea?  (Read 3226 times)

Gillesdetrail

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 343
  • Member since Nov '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Stock springs in 3'' lilft leaf pack is it a good idea?
« on: Feb 27, 2016, 08:02:56 AM »
1981 pickup, I drive it mosty on road but I enjoy wheeling it 5-8 times a year, locked front and rear on 31'' soon to be 33-34''. I bought a used front lift pack which appears to be rough country 3'' in the front, and it also has 1.5'' longer shackles at all 4 corners, rear leafs are stock. The front is very stiff, it doesn't flex good, I find the truck too high in the front as well and my front drive shaft angle is too steep. The rear however is very soft, it handles great on the road with not much body roll but out in the trails not so much, so here is my question:

Can I keep the front RC main leaf and add 1 or 2 stock leafs to the pack or should I put back the stock main leaf with the rough country 2nd and 3rd leafs? Which one is a better idea? If I could get maybe 1-1.5'' of lift over stock with a bit more flex without it handling like a boat I would be very pleased. I also plan on re-drilling my front shackles to the stock length and adding one more leaf in the back.

Any opinion or personal experience welcome!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
I don't think the Rough Country springs are meant to flex well.  Need to mix and match with some rear leaf springs.  The RUF setup works well, soft ride, and flexes like crazy when you do it right. I would ditch the longer shackles on the front.  Alot of guys use an aftermarket front spring hangar, to get a better angle on the axle for the drivelines. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
As cheesy said. Those springs lift but don't perform. I would try take a stock set of rears turn them around backward, put them up front. Then remove the overload and add the shorted rc spring in place. Set the truck on it see how you like the height/ stiffness. If you don't like it remove that ans add the next longest in its place. Just mix and match till you get it where you like it. Just my $.02, I'm cheap and prefer to used the junk laying around rather than purchase new.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Mix and match until you get what you want.  I like to run the bottom 2 or 3 leaves from a stock front on whatever I do.  The way the stock springs have more leaf material to the back of the spring seems to do something for handling, dive, hop and body roll without adding stiffness.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Gillesdetrail [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the good advice! I will definately drill the shackles back to stock length, and it appears the general concensus is that the RC springs will never flex good and are not meant to, so I will probably replace only the 2nd or 3rd leaf to a stock one only to have it slightly softer, then in a year or 2 buy some OME springs or similar. RUF seems nice but the truck handles so well now I don't want more body roll, that's why I'll add another one in the rear to stiffen it up a bit more.

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Your first picture shows stock steering so ruf wouldn't work anyhow. 2nd shows a bare frame. Not sure if you did cross over steering or not, but it is a must if running rear up front.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Gillesdetrail [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
That's right, only a drop drag link, I don't think I will do high steer so that eliminates the RUF idea.