Author Topic: 3rd gen extra cab swap!  (Read 6172 times)

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
3rd gen extra cab swap!
« on: Jan 31, 2016, 11:23:05 PM »
Yup! I'm swapping an 89 extended cab onto my 93 standard cab truck!
I suppose the real question is "WHY?"
Well, I originally bought the truck a little over a year and a half ago because I knew that I wanted a short wheelbase. I also knew that Toyotas have an immense amount of support online for aftermarket modifications. I just didn't know HOW much lol...

A little more than a month after the greatest purchase of all time, I stumbled across this picture:

I was confused... but more than that, little did I know that would plant a seed for what was to follow!

I read extensively on Yotatech, Pirate4x4, and yes, here on the Marlin board :D for this elusive mod.

Best of both worlds.. 100.5" -ish wheelbase of the standard cab, yet the comfort and space of the extended cab!

It's like the unicorn no one wanted to accept was possible... Was it worth it? most said no.. some said that you could get the same result by shortening an extended cab, but a small % of people thought it was possible... theoretically that is...

It wasn't until after I watched this video that I was convinced that not only was it possible, but that I would someday do it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSYjKhUEDUY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSYjKhUEDUY
With a little more research, there was talk that the Toyota in the original picture I had seen was actually made by Marlin! (Anyone care to confirm it?) Unfortunately, however, I never found his build thread...

But, in the last few weeks, I've accomplished quite a bit!

I stripped my cab of everything.

Pulled the cab and bed off.
*****edit: If I could give someone who wants to do this swap a bit of afterthought advice, it would be to drop your tranny and change out your rear main seal. This is probably the most convenient time to do this. Unfortunately, I got excited, and just wanted to see the extra cab on. Also, I didn't have the luxury of doing this inside a shop/garage, and here in the NW, you don't just leave all this stuff outside overnight without some sort of video survellance monitoring it because it has a tendency to walk off.  :shakehead:

I should have followed my plan of cleaning everything up, and painting my frame rails with rubberized under coating or bedliner. So... moral of the story: DON'T get excited.

Added the extended cab.

Re-wired my own harness back into the new cab and leveled (mostly) the new cab with 3" lift kit pucks.
*****edit: The 3" body lift is only on the front cab mounts. I welded the rear cab mounts to the frame rails while bolted directly to the back of the cab. Below you can see where I welded the rear cab mounts. This was necessary in order for the rear of the cab to clear not only the fuel tank, but also the rise of the frame rails. I know that I could have slammed in the rear of the cab, but I also want to keep the fuel tank in the stock location. No matter what, even if I relocate the fuel tank, and smash the rear of the cab, I'd have to have some sort of spacers on the front cab mounts in order to level the cab.

Welded the rear cab mounts that I cut off of the donor cab frame.

Started welding the trans tunnel.

Working on getting the fuel tank to fit and fabricating a new fill spout pipe to clear the cab overhang, so that I can still use my bed with a relocated fuel door.

So much work! It'll be done within a few weeks.. well, driveable hopefully... Then I've gotta figure out how to go about the registration... because this WILL be my daily haha...

Eventually I'll get my 83 solid axle built... as for now, it's waiting for me to go through it completely...

Also have an 8274 I need to clean up.

Also have a front and rear bumper to build..
Sliders.
Rear leafs.
Yup... I'd say I've got quite a lot of fun waiting for me  :willynilly:

Anyway, I'm trying to post a bunch of threads posted, and I probably should have split this one up, but meh... I'll write more nonsense later... anyway, I'd like to get posts this York compressor adapter plate in the for sale section. I've spent quite a bit of time and money fabricating it, and I'd love to ship it out to someone in hopes that it helps them with their own build goal :D

Next is to figure out how to configure the stock A/C compressor as well as the York for those who desire to run both...

Anyway, hope this helps someone... If you have any input or suggestions, lemme know.  :twocents:

-pgragg
[/size]
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2016, 03:28:43 AM by pgragg »
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Re: 3rd gen extra cab swap!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2016, 02:07:09 PM »
Well, more progress... Just gotta get this fuel spout figured out so that I can do an actual road test haha...

Anyway, here's some pics for everyone to ignore:

Some people brought up the booger on this fuel spout... Yeah, I found a couple thin spots... or it's due to the fact that I started welding when I started this project haha..
Oh well... If it's a big deal breaker for me later, I can always try again:

Also, I gave it another dip today before I left, after the red kote dried all night... hopefully that'll be enough... tonight I'll be coating the outside, then hopefully I can install the fuel tank permanently. Then a road test?  :shake:
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2016, 05:33:56 PM »
Could you not have just went to the parts house and got some radiator hoses to accomplish the same thing?
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2016, 07:26:31 PM »
Could you not have just went to the parts house and got some radiator hoses to accomplish the same thing?
Ordinary rubber will create static electricity... Which would make for the shortest lived build... probably ever haha... But yeah, the ethanol (and other stuffs) in fuel can break down some radiator hoses over time...
Even if I found a 2" radiator hose that was fuel rated, the tight bend to get out from under the cab would collapse it. (when we set the excab on the first time, I left the stock fill hose, and it collapsed when I bent it back to clear the cab..  I tried bending the radiator hose that comes with a spring inside of it, and it doesn't bend tight enough. I work at a part's store, gone down a bunch of different paths, and asked around... Everyone just tells me to cut a giant hole in my cab, but that's not what I want to do. I'll eventually add another tank between my frame rails, and possibly delete this stock tank, but for now... to get it out on the road for the least amount of money and time, this will work for a while...
I'm currently looking into a 1974 lincoln mark iv fuel tank to put between the frame rails, but the guy wants $75 for it... Then there's the possibility of building my own fuel cell, welding it up and sealing it with this same red kote, but I'm not ready for that yet... need to work on my welds haha..

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »
Have you considered using a 4-Runner tank and/or filler neck?
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2016, 02:19:26 AM »
I'll check that out, thanks

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2016, 02:23:35 AM »
Taking a few minutes to prep the front clip for the winch:

Then I decided it was time for sound deadener and transmission tunnel:

Lots of pictures... I figure they're pretty self explanatory, but if anyone has questions, I'm happy to answer...

Looking back, I should have finished welding and getting the trans tunnel figured out before the sound dampener, but meh.. it's a yota, it'll be fine  :shhh:

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2016, 03:24:38 AM »
I finished up the rivet nuts for the trans tunnel...  :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack:
:yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Way too much drilling... Word of advice: KISS. But Hopefully it'll end up with the look I want when it's done..

And got the underside of the tunnel plates coated with as much dynamat as I could get on them
Then topped them off with rubberized undercoating...
Figured I'd rather overkill them than do it half-assed:

Here's the bottom view of the trans tunnel plates... It's still wet..

Anyway, that's all the progress from tonight  :thumbs: Hopefully I'll be on the road by the end of the week  :crossed: