Author Topic: 85 4runner "the slayer II" build  (Read 35491 times)

theslayer85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
85 4runner "the slayer II" build
« on: Oct 12, 2011, 04:14:52 PM »
As work was going like crap, my health was not doing good because of the stress I decided it was time for a stress releaving project.  My family has a virtual junk yard with all the trucks we buy, crash, keep for parts, then buy some more.  I had a project, The Slayer, but I rolled it due to some faulty brakes.  I put a rear disc conversion on it and was driving it before it was working right.  So this is taking three 4runners and putting them all together to make my new wheeling truck. 

I have almost everything I need between all the trucks to make the complete truck.  I just ordered cross over steering and the only other one on the wish list is dual cases that I don't already have. 

Lift:  2" old man emu
Gears: 5.29
Lockers: aussie lockers front and rear
Motor: a freshly rebuilt 22re (out of The Slayer #1, it only had about 500 miles on it when it did cartwheels)
Transmition: stock 5 speed, will do dual t cases eventually

The goal for this project is to fit 38's with only 2" of lift.  I have some extensive body work planned for it. 

The first picture is the original The Slayer

Next is a 4runner my brother rolled 1 1/4 times going 65 it became my donor frame

Last is The Slayer after I rolled it.  It broke the U bolts off the axle and ripped the shock mount and steering apart.  I hit the drivers side in the ditch went up on its nose and pivioted and landed on the drivers side 180 degrees from the direction I was originaly going. 

I dont have a picture of the third donor for the body yet.  It has some from end damage from hitting a stalled car on the highway due to some black ice. 

61bajabug

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
Re: 85 4runner "the slayer II" build
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2011, 08:45:32 AM »
damn, you boys are hard on your toys. good luck with the build.

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2011, 09:21:02 AM »
So the frame was stripped out from under the totaled 4runner and I am wirewheeling and repainting the whole thing.  While I am at it I am cutting off un-needed brakets and moving some other ones around. 

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2011, 09:24:26 AM »
The axle I stripped down and cleaned all the parts and repainted what I needed to.  I still need to get the lockers out of my other truck for when it all goes back together.  I ordered a new seal kit so I am just waiting on that to get it back together and put under the frame. 

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2011, 09:44:43 AM »
On the original The Slayer I had the typical wheel well rust and tried to figure out how to fix it.  I bought some bushwaker fender flares but it only covers the wheel wells not replaces or fixes it.  and after hitting some rocks and craking one I decided to just cut the whole fender out.  I used the factory body line and trimed just before the buldge out.  when I did this the body mount was in the way to I cut it out and patched the hole in the body, and cut the brakets off the frame.  Later I noticed that the body saged and was now resting on the frame, so on this build I rewelded the brackets to the inside of the frame and will move the mounts inside the body to match.  The frame goes up at an angle right here so I used the drivers side on the passenger and vise versa to match the angle.  It worked really good, well the the true test is after I get the body trimed and if it bolts together like it should. 

The problem with moving the brakets is that the gas tank is right against the frame on the passenger side and doesn't leave much room for the body mounts.  So I did some more trimming in the rear and will be mounting a fuel cell in the back end.  It is about where the spare tire mounts.  it is going between the frame rails and from the round brace to the boxed brace with all the holes in it in the rear.  I had to move a shock mount, take off the brake proportioning valve (which I have a replacement already), the exhaust hangers, and I also took the lip off the boxed brace to give a flat edge. 

I also did some measuring and inorder to bob the back end I think I have to move the rear body mounts forward.  So before I sanded and painted the back half I have to get the body mounts moved and figure out a shock mount for the passenger side.  I am thinking I can cut a shock mount off another frame from the drivers side and invert it and use it.  I just have to get the body off a frame so I can get to it and cut it off. 

So if anyone has bobed a 4runner how much did you take out?  Did you have to move the body mounts?  And what did you do for your hard top? 

zidaro

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 480
  • Male Posts: 526
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Mo Chi Chu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2011, 04:50:25 AM »
nice big project to distract you, seems to be coming long.

how come this is not in the builds section of the forum?

Pirate has a ton of numbers on bobbed runners as well as the tops, lots of ics.  do a search there for info on what works.  find them in the Toyota Bible.

have fun
'87runner.
'10 Crewmax
'05 CRF450x

http://www.4wheelunderground.com/
TONIK- Mammoth Lakes

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2011, 08:54:41 AM »
thats a good point I totaly passed that up and figured putting it in the year fourm.  Now how do I move it to the build section, I am still fairly new at this and this is the first build write up? 

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2011, 05:22:21 PM »
These are the goodies I bought.  I got an axle seal kit, cross over steering, new vented rotors, frame stifiner for crossover, and some brackets to raise the motor. 

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2011, 05:36:23 PM »
While I had the frame easily acessable I decided to put in the rock lights.  I put one set in the very front crossmember another set in the middle by the tail end of the transmission and the last set in the very back where the spare tire originally mounts.  You can see in the last picture that the light has a threaded portion with a thin nut.  They also have two sets of wires out of them so it is easy to daisy chain them together.  I like the LED's it doesn't draw much power but they are somewhat expensive.  With the power of google I found all of these lights and they are $10 each.  They are actually fairly bright and do the job.  I had them on my last truck installed using the suplied brackets and took them out, however this time I drilled and mounted them different. 

this is where I ordered them from. 
http://autolumination.com/fixtures.htm

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2011, 05:56:10 PM »
I got the frame finished and put my motor and transmission on it.  Other than my new gears I have the axle finished and under the frame.  I had bought some U bolts to do a U bolt flip for my other truck but never did put them in, I also made some mounting plates.  The second picture shows parts to the on-board-air set up.  I machined a manifold and welded brackets on that use the four mounting holes that are used to mount the AC compressor on.  In the third picture is the air line to go back to the tank.  I used hose clamp mount things to hold it to the frame right under the brake and fuel line.  In the last picture is where I will mount the air tank.  When I looked under on of the other 4runners the body drops down, so I haven't made brakets and installed it yet in fear that it will be to high and the body will hit it.  I need to do some more measurements and figure out where it will be.  You can also see where I welded a new, to the truck at least, shock mount.  I cut one off another truck and put it opposite the one on the drivers side. 

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2011, 06:07:01 PM »
This is the donnor body.  It was in a front end crash and bent the frame just above the spring hanger.  It also crunched the fender.  I have a new front clip that I will replace the front end with.  I had already started stripping the truck.  I took the seats out, doors off and all the fenders off.  I figured as I am swapping the body over i want it as light as possible.  I still need to pull the dash, siding and the carpet rubber stuff out. 

I also got the rear axle cleaned and halfway painted.  I still need to decide if I am going to stick with the drum brakes or do rear disc brakes.  Doing rear disc brakes in my old truck was why I did cartwheels in it and totaled it.  I would have to buy a new master cylinder and I think that should make them work, I think.   

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »
So because I couldn't do any more with the frame until I had the donor body off the other frame I started doing some body work.  I need the rear leafs from under the donor car but I wanted to get the body off first so I am not wrestling the frame out without a rear axle.  I marked out my first cut line and measured out for the second line. I ended up bobbing the rear end 8 inches, I think I could have taken out more now that it is back together but oh well.  you can also see in the picture the lines I used to cut the fenders out. 

muddytaco

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 228
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2012, 03:56:05 PM »
 :eye: :eye:
95 tacoma 5" revtek/bilstein detroit locked 9" with drilled and slotted rotors front and back, 8000# mile marker winch, 16" crager crawlers, too much other crap to mention
96 t100 2wd (soon to be sasd i hope) - dead
85 efi 4runner
01 sequoia

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
the back cut off.

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:22:09 PM »
The finished bob,  I didn't take my time to make sure all my gaps were quite right so the sides are close together but the floor has about an 1/8 inch gap in it so that is hard to fill and get welded.  I need to cut a piece of the old floor out and use it as a backer for my welds. 

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:52:01 PM »
Now for the fun part!!!  I am cutting out the fenders and adding 3 inches.  so I am building my own fender flairs.  I saw it done in a magazine on another 4runner and I liked it so I am copying it and doing the same idea to mine.  The first picture I cut out the rear fender.  I used the little black plastic fender protector thing in the front of the rear wheel well openings as my pattern for the front and rear of the wheel wells. 

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:07:46 PM »
I took a 3 inch strip and tacked it the body.  I did only did the strip as long as the flat part is on top before it curves back down. I then tacked the old fender back on to the added 3 inch strip. 

studentwheeler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 121
  • Male Posts: 382
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:39:22 PM »
looks cool. cant wait to see more of the build.

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:40:06 PM »
So once I got the top tacked on I took small pieces 3 inches wide and put them in the bottom area of the fender to keep the spacing from top to bottom.  I then just added and pieced in the gaps.  The sheet metal was thin enough that I was able to use some sheet metal shears, pretty much just huge scissors, to cut the pieces I needed. Once I got everything tacked in I was careful and did short stitch welds around so that I wouldn't warp the body work.  Once it was all welded the very front and rear of the fenders were very boxy.  So i ground all the welds smooth and got the body hammers out and worked the corners into a nice curve.  In my pounding however the welds did crack and show through so I need to re-weld them back together.  

The front fenders are getting the same treatment, but because the front end was crunched I need to weld the new front clip on first.  The inner fenders are also being opened up a lot too.  The rears are going to be fairly easy and I did it on my old truck so I know how that one is going to go in.  The front end is going to be a little tricky.  I need to strip the dash and all the wires and whatever else Toyota hid back there and start trimming and welding it back together.  Then the magic of getting all the wires and stuff to fit back in.  

The goal behind this build is little to no lift and big tires.  With opening up the fenders I am hoping to clear 38's with only 2 inches of lift.  What would normally take 6 to 8 inches of lift to accomplish.

Still on the to do:  get an F-150 gas tank in and plumbed, finish the mounts for my on board air tank, install my rear leafs and axle, install my 5.29's, drill and tap my steering box for hydro assist, and I am sure lots of little things.

UndefinedTaco

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Aug '11
  • Built by trial and mostly error
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:16:14 AM »
sweet build..love the fabricated fenders
83' Pickup "ShitBox" - more parts
92' Pickup "Doomed" - some parts

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:07:29 PM »
finally doing some updates.  Once I finished the fenders the front and back edge were very boxy and didn't look very good so I got out some body hammers and rounded the edge out.  I had to grind the welds all smooth first otherwise it is trying to curve a 1/4 in thick seam.  In the first picture you can see how it looks after I added the 3 inches.  It has almost an S shape to it.  The second picture is the other side where I put a curve in it.  As I was pounding it out the weld did break apart on me so i need to re-weld it. i need to do a final trim of the wheel well to clean out the rust around the edge.  I think I am going to trim 1 to 1 1/2 out of it, I will find out if I need to do more once I get into it. 

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:25:58 PM »
I finally got the rear axle under the frame.  I had to pull the fame out from under the donor body first then pull the leaf springs off.  The 4 runner that was the donor frame was rolled 1 1/4 times going 65 mph.  In the crash it bent the leaf springs so I needed a different set.  The problem I ran into however is that i jacked up the threads on the shackles so I cannot get the nuts on the one side.  I filed a little and managed to get one side on but I need to work on the other side to get the nuts on, OR pull some off another truck (which I do have plenty of parts trucks) and use it.  I had bought a U bolt flip kit, well the U bolts and put that on.  The problem though is that it eliminated my shock mounts off the axle.  I have my brother making me some to weld onto the axle. 

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:35:41 PM »
So for the rear shock tabs that needed to be fabbed up for the rear axle the factory hole is 3/4 in.  I didn't feel like finding or paying for a grade 8 bolt that big so I took the bushings out of a set of front shocks and put them in the rear shocks.  You can see the difference in the hole size in the bushings.  I pulled them apart just as a "I wonder if I could" thing and they all fit so that is what I am going with.  The shocks are just what I had laying around just some cheap rancho's.  They will work and hopefully when I get a grown up job I can buy some really nice ones. 

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »
I finally got my steering box drilled and tapped for Hydro.  I used the guide and write up by freds40.  It turned out pretty good. I still need to do a final cleaning and put it all back together.  I do not have the parts for the Hydro assist right now so I just put some plugs in.  I figured while I had easy access to it I would tap it now.  I also don't want to hassle will uninstalling it later to do it.  I bought the frame stiffeners for the ifs box and got that put in.  I had a heck of a time getting the holes big enough for the sleeves.  I used a step up bit but the outside of the frame is a bit thicker, thicker than the steps on the drill bit.  I still need to weld the plates on.  I ran out of shielding gas so I need to switch bottles.  I borrowed a 220 mig welder and it has a big bottle with it.  Well for that fact I borrowed the 110 mig too but used a little bottle we had for our ready welder.  Nothing like good friends who have lent me tools.  I have been using the 110 welder because the 220 has a really short cord on it and I cannot get it more than 2 feet from the wall, and the truck was not very easy to move.  The 110 also has less power which is better for sheet metal which is primarily what I am working on right now. 

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2012, 05:01:39 PM »
One more just for fun.  It was my baby boys first birthday and his grandma bought him this little truck.  He loves it.  Although the other day he was more interested in pushing it around then he did riding in it.  I was hoping to build him the rocking truck but I was told I cannot start another project until the one I have now (my truck) is finished.  Maybe for his 2nd birthday.  I know for all you die hard Toyota fans and hatters of Jeep, this is based on a flat fender Jeep.  The plan is to make one and then see if I can adapt a few things and make it look like an FJ40.  I think all I need to change is the grill, round the hood a little more and maybe change the fender.  But again one project at a time. 

SNOW WALKER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 172
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 23, 2012, 07:51:05 PM »
Very cool!! I was thinking of doing something similar to my runner. Kinda Arctic truck style. I can't wait to see more pics.
1986 4Runner turbo sas high pinion,E-locked 4:88's,taco rear Detroit locker,22ret forged everything,
duels mc07-r10 cut 42's.

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 30, 2012, 08:19:22 AM »
I have gotten more done, just haven't had time to take pictures and post them up.  I started on the inner fenders.  I also got one of the body mounts welded back in the body.  It is the one right at the wheel well and took probably 3 or 4 hours to work back in.  I had put the body mounts on the inside of the frame so the that put the body mount under the bench seat.  With the slope of the seat I was bending, cutting, grinding, welding, and bending some more to get them to work.  I  also bought a spot weld cutter the other day to pull apart pannels and take parts off that I want to reuse.  It is one of the coolest tools.  What would normally be an extream hack job and hours of cleaning up later took very little time and was clean.  I will try and get pictures this weekend of the progress. 

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 30, 2012, 08:22:36 AM »
Very cool!! I was thinking of doing something similar to my runner. Kinda Arctic truck style. I can't wait to see more pics.

Thanks, I took the idea from a pre runner I saw in a magazine a while back.  I had cut the fenders on my old truck and redid the inner fenders, but i just cut out and threw away the outer fender/sheetmetal.  I liked the fender flares of just adding metal to the existing fender, then make the inners bigger to match.  I do have them more complete and they look pretty good.  I need to clean the welds up a little more and trim the bottom edge where there is some rust. 

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 13, 2012, 08:17:31 AM »
This is the inner fender work I have done.  I cut the old fender out and set it aside.  I traced a pattern off my old fenders when I did this before to make it easy.  to get the original I took string and strung it between both sides and worked in cardboard cutting pieces away slowly untill it matched.  I tacked the piece in using magnetic 90's.  To remound my seat and the seatbelt I took the mount off of the old fender (pic 2) using a spot weld cutter I bought (pic 3).  The spot weld cutter is so cool.  Before I had this it was cutting what I could with a cutoff wheel on a grinder and using a screwdriver to pry it off.  I does leave holes but that gives a spot to weld onto the new location.  The last picture is the new fender with the old seat bolt mounts in its new home.  My welder is acting funny or it would be welded in, I also cut the new fender piece short so I had to fill in on the bottom end before I closed if off. 

theslayer85 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 13, 2012, 08:30:42 AM »
I spent close to 4 or 5 hours working the body mounts back in.  I cut them out of the body and used them again.  I cut off everything but the flat piece that goes on the body.  There is alot of bracing and stuff on it that is useless in its new location.  I dropped the body back down on the frame with the mounts bolted up.  Then used them to trace where the body had to be cut to fit them back in.  Because of the slope of the seat the back of the mount was even but the front had a 1 3/4 inch gap.  So i heated and bent the front up as much as I could then cut the seat and bent it down to make up the difference.  I had to bolt the body mount in check the fit, take it back out and bend some more, bolt it back in check it again, again and again untill it was where I wanted it.  Then I tacked and welded the whole thing in.  It took a long time.  The finished one is on the drivers side.  The passenger side the new body mount ended up being right where the access pannel for the fule pump is.  So I welded the pannel in and will do the same process on this side.  My welds don't look to pretty on this I didn't clean off the paint and when I cut it I left gaps that I had to fill.  In the last picture you can see the bench seat with the new body mount and where the old one used to be.  I haven't started on the inner fender on this side yet, but as I did the other side the hole created by cutting the old mount out is cut out or where the new fender is.  So no major patching is needed for where the old mount loaction is.